Grammar

Started by Richard, May 27, 2014, 04:30:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard

Hi Mario,

At http://www.photools.com/ you have:
Quotephotools.com is a leading developer of Digital Document Management solutions.
Since 1998 we develop and support reliable digital image management solutions for photographers, corporate and governmental users.
The tense is wrong, develop and support are present tense. Past tense would be developed and supported. Since 1998 we have developed and supported...

Sorted

Oops! Better check your grammar [grammer] too. 'Many a slip 'twixt cup and lip', it is said.

Richard

seal_100_100You can download and try our software for free for 30 days.

For free is also poor grammar although common.

You can download and try our software free for 30 days.

Richard

QuoteBetter check your grammar
This is not poor grammar, just bad spelling.

Richard

Update and Upgrade Policy Updates, often referred to as service packs, are occasionally required to bring you necessary fixes or minor modifications to your software. Updates are available free of charge to all registered users of the corresponding product line and version.

sinus

Quote from: Richard on May 27, 2014, 04:30:47 PM
Hi Mario,

At http://www.photools.com/ you have:
Quotephotools.com is a leading developer of Digital Document Management solutions.
Since 1998 we develop and support reliable digital image management solutions for photographers, corporate and governmental users.
The tense is wrong, develop and support are present tense. Past tense would be developed and supported. Since 1998 we have developed and supported...

Richard, I am sure, you are right. Very sure  :D

Wanted only to say, that I guess, Mario is trapped in the same trap as I do VERY often. I guess, he has simply translated from German into English.

Because in German we can say this in present and we see this also often (Wir entwickeln seit 1998 ...) written somewhere and in German I would it write like Mario did in English.

But, it is easy possible, that a German "Corrector" would say, this is also wrong in German  8)

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Sorted

Quote from: Richard on May 27, 2014, 04:45:56 PM
QuoteBetter check your grammar
This is not poor grammar, just bad spelling.

Tew Trew! Mai apolojeez!

Richard

QuoteRichard, I am sure, you are right. Very sure

I hope so but there are others here who are better at grammar will correct me if I am wrong.

I find that Mario does a very good job of writing in English but it is a second language for him. Thus I try to inform him if I see an error. More often than grammar the errors are simply typographical. (Typo) Yet, I am sure that Mario wants IMatch and everything that goes with it to be as good as it can be. So I spend time trying to let him know when I spot something that is off.

clpratt

I find the sentence "Since 1998 we develop and support reliable digital image management...." quite acceptable although I'm also no expert on grammar.
It suggests a continuing process of development throughout  that period and going forward.
It you change to the past tense i.e. "Since 1998 we have developed and supported..." it makes me think the rest of the sentence may say this may change. 

Mario

Quote from: Richard on May 27, 2014, 05:53:29 PM
I am sure that Mario wants IMatch and everything that goes with it to be as good as it can be. So I spend time trying to let him know when I spot something that is off.
Certainly.  Where did you find the wrong text with the 30 days? I can't find it...

QuoteSince 1998 we have developed and supported...

I want to express that we did it since then and still do it. I'm not sure but what I have no sounds correct to me, and I have read it on other web sites phrased the same way. English tenses are complex and I often mess them up, though. I may be wrong with this too.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on May 27, 2014, 07:01:45 PM
QuoteSince 1998 we have developed and supported...

I want to express that we did it since then and still do it. I'm not sure but what I have no sounds correct to me, and I have read it on other web sites phrased the same way. English tenses are complex and I often mess them up, though. I may be wrong with this too.

I'd suggest: "Photools.com has been developing software for managing digital images and other digital assets since 1998."
John

Richard

QuoteWhere did you find the wrong text with the 30 days? I can't find it...

Sorry. http://www.photools.com/shop/

Richard

How about this?

Since 1998 photools.com has been a leading developer of Digital Document Management solutions.
We develop and support reliable digital image management solutions for photographers, corporate and governmental users.

Sorted

Sorry, Richard and Mario, I should have been more constructive and given the grammatically correct version of Mario's sentence. A very simple change is required to preserve the intended meaning.

Original:

"Since 1998 we develop and support reliable digital image management solutions for photographers, corporate and governmental users."

Revised:

"Since 1998 we have been developing and supporting reliable digital image management solutions for photographers, corporate and governmental users."

It uses the present perfect continuous (an action which started in the past and continues) and is well illustrated here:

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentperfectcontinuous.html

The above parallels this example: 'James has been teaching at the university since June.'

Hope this is of help.