APP: Super Search (or the search it all app)

Started by Jingo, June 16, 2019, 12:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinus

Thanks, guys

Yes, Thorsten, the version is: FancySearch-10-2021.zip
I have now enabled the IMatch-log and attached.

This time no result window. 
I attached 3 screenshots, I do not know, if this helps. 

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Jingo

Very strange... according to the log, the search found 11 images that match the search and the OpenResultWindow Post Op was fired... so, it should have worked!

sinus

Yep, strange.
I guess, it has to do with either a new version of IMatch or an (automatic) Windows update.
Because I have never changed anything on the app since 2021 and it has always worked perfectly.

Until 2 or 3 new versions of IMatch.
But unfortunately I can't find out which one that was.

But in the end it doesn't matter, it is what it is. Somehow a solution will be found at some point.  :)

(and if it works on your machine and on Thorstens, so it seems to be on my compputer only)
Markus

Mario

The only way I see this could fail is when the list of file ids is empty.
In that case, no result window is created and the 5200 error code is returned.
What does the "Nutzlast" tab show in your browser (this is what the app sent to IMatch).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

I tried again and hope, this are the correct "Nutzlast", 2 attachements.
Markus

Jingo

File id list looks good to me... the mystery continues!

sinus

What puzzled me most, when I start IMatch and try it, when I look at the result-line (what I like very much to see the results and time), the app works always fine.

But curiously sometimes it brings the result in the result window, if I have luck, 2 times (mostly only once), then it is finished.

Hmm, maybe my computer is simply a bit "moody"  ;D
Markus

Mario

Why so many individual oids? Why not using an idlist?

What does this app does that the database-wide search not do?
When I recall correctly, I've added the database wide-search on behalf of a FR from @sinus.
Hopefully I did not waste my time with that, wenn @sinus still uses this old app?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on October 24, 2023, 03:36:26 PMWhy so many individual oids? Why not using an idlist?

What does this app does that the database-wide search not do?
When I recall correctly, I've added the database wide-search on behalf of a FR from @sinus.
Hopefully I did not waste my time with that, wenn @sinus still uses this old app?

Thanks, Mario, for your answer.
You recall correct, you added the database-wide search from a FR from me. And I think, some users does use it quite often.
So I hope, my FR and your work was not wasted time. I use it also, specialy in the last time, because the app works not more.
And the search from the "File Window searching" itself of course is simply super!! But to perform a search, is, in my opinion, a bit akward.

And since you asked:
The app is simply (for me!) easier to use.
I have more information, how many files are found and in what time.
I have an information in every result window, this is very useful, if I have several open.

Then I can see better in a clean window, what is enabled for searching. That I cannot good see this in the File window search, what is enabled and what not, I have just asked some time ago.
And if I want to change, where to search, I must hover and choose and the window goes away, then I must do the same, if I want change some things.
If you do always the same, this is not a problem, but do this, if you want search with different choices. Then is is not quick done. 

In the app I can see clearly, what and where I do search. If I toggle a search with the File window searching, the phone rings, I am away from the computer and I have to check again with hovering and so on.

The search app - window stays open and I can see it quicker.

If I had a good UI for searching, I would for sure not use an app. But this is only my opinion, maybe I am the only one.

Markus

Mario

QuoteI have more information, how many files are found and in what time.
I have never used the app, so I don't know.
When the result window opens, it shows the number of files. I don't think that time really matters. A search should take only a few seconds, even for really large databases. The first search is usually a bit slower since the index is "cold".

QuoteThat I cannot good see this in the File window search, what is enabled and what not,
If you don't know which options you have enabled, just open the menu or point the mouse cursor at the X button. The X button tooltip lists all enabled options and modes.

QuoteAnd if I want to change, where to search, I must hover and choose and the window goes away, then I must do the same, if I want change some things.
How often do you have to change search options?
I may be simple, but I usually keep it on frequent tags or all tags and I'm done.

Feel free to open a feature request.
When I'm finished designing and implementing and rolling out ribbons, I could make something like the Smart Menu in the Viewer also for the File Window ribbon. I have the tools now, since I've written everything myself.
I could also allow to open a second ribbon below the first, showing the search options and allowing to control them.
I could also add a third ribbon allowing to quickly filter for rating, label and collections - overriding the Filter Panel.

If users tell me what they are missing via a feature request, and other users like the request, I look into it.
Many feature requests are for one user only, never getting any likes. I've just archived four pages of feature requests without likes or interaction.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

Thanks, Mario
I will think about a FR, but as mostly, not that important, IMatch offers often several possibilities for a solution.  :)
Markus