Author Topic: How to produce a DUMP file when IMatch hangs  (Read 2232 times)

Mario

• IMatch Developer
  • Administrator
How to produce a DUMP file when IMatch hangs
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:42:41 AM »
When IMatch "hangs" or stops responding, it is very helpful for me if you can produce a debug dump file. This dump file tells me what IMatch is doing, its internal state etc. Basically this is the same type of dump file IMatch produces itself when it crashes. But since IMatch hangs and does not crash, it will not produce a dump file itself.

IMatch uses multiple processing threads to utilize all available processors. Especially when IMatch is still ingesting files and you are working with the user interface there may be situations where IMatch can lock.
Such situations can be caused by many things, and usually happen only once. It is nearly impossible to reproduce them here. But we still need to find these problems and somehow get them fixed.

How to produce a debug dump for IMatch

See also this Microsoft Knowledge Base article for additional details.

You will need to use the 32-bit Task Manager on 64-Bit windows to produce a usable dump file.
  • Close Task Manager if it is running.
  • Open the folder C:\Windows\SysWOW64 in Windows Explorer, and there, double-click on taskmgr.exe to run Task Manager.
  • Switch to the tab labeled "Processes".
  • In this tab, locate the process named "imatch5.exe".
  • Right-click in the row of this process to open the context menu. There, choose "Create Dump File".
  • Wait until the debug dump file has been written.
  • Make a note of where the file was written. Usually Windows write the file into the TEMP folder on your system, and uses a name like <ProcessName>.DMP. You can open this folder by typing %TEMP% into the Windows Explorer address bar.
  • ZIP the DMP file creates above and send it to me (if less than 20 MB).
Also send in the IMatch log file so I can see which version of IMatch was running and what IMatch was currently writing to the log file. The log file is named IMATCH5_LOG.TXT and also stored in the TEMP folder on your system.

This helps me a lot to determine the cause of a blocked user interface.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 09:19:54 AM by Mario »