(experimental features on): Thumbs in file window "jump"

Started by Ger, April 06, 2024, 10:04:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ger

(Experimental features are on)

When a file window has more images than fit on one screen, and when working on (thumb) in the last row in that file window, the thumbs on that row don't line out nicely on the page. Instead, they "jump" before showing the full screen: the images of the last row move to the top, and back to the bottom, showing only the top half of the thumb.
Changing the selected image on the last row repeats that behaviour: the thumbs "jump" once or twice from top to bottom.

If I turn off experimental features, I don't see this.

It's difficult to explain in a few words; but I hope it's clear. 
Anybody else experiencing this?

Mario

There are no experimental features that affected File Window display or layout. Not sure what you mean.
Maybe it's one of those situations where the layout engine cant decide because of the width of the File Window, the size setting and the thumbnails? How can I reproduced that?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ger

Well..
After re-enabling experimental features (I disabled to test the behaviour)... this jumping doesn't seem to reappear. Maybe Mario has an explanation, but for now, it seems ok...

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ger

It is reproducing now...

File Window has more images than fit on the screen; last row by default shows half of the thumbnail.

When on the last row, changing the rating on a thumb, initiates this behavior. It does not matter whether filters are active or not

I tried changing the setting 'Thumbnails per row' in the Layout editor, but that does not change behavior.

How can i best provide more information?

Mario

Quotelast row by default shows half of the thumbnail.
Can you make a screen shot of that? And a screen shot after you have changed the rating? I have never seen something similar and AFAIK nothing like this was ever reported.
If the screen shots contain private data, send them to support email address and include a link back to this thread since I get a ton of emails each day.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ger

Screenshots of the 'half-thumbnail', screenshot of the bottom thumbs moving to top row after assigning stars.

Mario

So the effect you are seeing is that the scroll position of the File Window changes when you modify metadata, scrolling the selected / focused thumbnail to the top of the window? The File Window will update when the database system reports changes, and it will try to restore the last scroll position or bring the focused thumbnail into view.

Did you scroll the File Window before selecting the thumbnail?
Or did you click on the thumbnails in the bottom row (which are only partially visible), then set the rating, and then the File Window reloaded and scrolled the thumbnails to the top?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ger

QuoteSo the effect you are seeing is that the scroll position of the File Window changes when you modify metadata, scrolling the selected / focused thumbnail to the top of the window and back

I am convinced your analysis is correct: it's calculating and trying to restore the file position, after metadata change.

QuoteDid you scroll the File Window before selecting the thumbnail?

Yes... need to get to the last image (row) to change the metadata. Both moving with arrows and clicking with mouse to go to the last image. After changing metadata the "jumping" occurs.

Mario

I think this is just the File Window trying to bring the focused file into view after reloading.
Does this only happen when you select a file in the last row? Or also when you select a file in the middle or top?

The problem impossible to solve is this:

The File Window must reload whenever "something" in the database changes that may affect what the File Window shows, what affects the current sort order, Search Bar result, Filter Panel result or Quick Filter result.

After reloading, how to restore the "current position"?

The File Window tries to bring the focused File into View (middle or so of the FW).
But then users complain when they have scrolled up or down (making the focused file vanish out of view) that the File Window jumps from their current scroll position back to the focused file.

To deal with this particular situation, the FW tries to keep track of whether or not the user has scrolled after focusing a file. And then tries to restore that scroll position instead of forcing the focused file into view.

Combine that with potentially many updates at once, a Filter Panel, Quick Filter or Search Bar affecting the File Window contents etc... and sometimes the FW goes back to bring the focused file into view (top row) as in your case.

This is a bad can of worms and one of the most complex parts of IMatch. I don't want to fiddle with this unless absolutely needed.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Ger

It only causes problems when working on files on the last row, indeed.

It is definitely an annoying thing and a solution/workaround would be appreciated, but world sees more imminent problems...

Thanks for looking into it, and if you find a solution... even more thanks :)

ubacher

I can confirm the behaviour.
Here my description:
The last row of thumbnails is partially hidden. I scroll the window up to see the row fully.
When I now set the rating ( on ANY of the now visible thumbs!) the display changes back to where the last row is half hidden.
Should not happen - or?

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on April 07, 2024, 06:49:18 AMShould not happen - or?

So the behavior you see is different than Ger's.
For him, the focused file is scrolled to the top of the File Window. For you, the file is scrolled to the same position it was before you scrolled the File Window and made the change.

You scrolled. Then set the rating. How, exactly? Did you click on a file to set the focus? Was the file already focused? Keyboard used?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

You need more than one screen full of thumbs.
The display size must be such that the bottom row of thumbs is cut off.
Got to the bottom most page of thumbs. Screenshot 0 
0 starting.jpg
Select any thumb and click on the star (or key 1) Screenshot 1
1 Select and click star.jpg
Display changes so last row is  half hidden. Screenshot 2
2 after clicking star.jpg

Quite repeatable for me.

Mario

I must be missing something.
I've played with this for 10 minutes, reproducing the situation you describe (last row of thumbnails partially visible).

I scroll to make this happen, then click a thumb in the partially visible row and then use the rating & label bar to change the rating for one or more visible images. The rating is changed. No scrolling!

I click on one of the partially visible thumbnails and press <3> to change the rating. Rating is changed. No scrolling!

I've resized the File Window and the IMatch window etc. No success. No scrolling.

I've scrolled the FW so that there is a lot of free space after the last row of thumbs, as in your screen shot 1.
Used the keyboard and the rating & label bar to change ratings for visible thumbnails. No scrolling!

I tried this in the M&F and the Category View.No luck.

Do you have an active Filter in the Filter Panel? Or in the Quick Filter ribbon? File Window search bar?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator