[OFFICIAL] Samples Wanted

Started by Mario, November 29, 2021, 09:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Hi, users

Thank you for all who have sent me video samples and download links.
My video test suite has grown quite a bit over the past week  ;D
I don't need any further samples at this time.

I'm looking for video samples with intact metadata (as delivered from the camera) for Apple, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Hisense and other smart phones. And also from current camera models.
Often the "sample files" available for download are tampered with, metadata stripped etc. Not useful for my purposes.

What I need

Short, maybe 5 to 30 second sample video files. You can basically film your floor or a wall or a sheet of paper. Content is not important.
What's important is that the metadata in the video is included, e.g. QuickTime or XMP or whatever your camera embeds.

Please upload to your cloud space (Dropbox, Google Drive, OneDrive, ...) and send me a link with the subject video sample to my support email address support email address.
Or, when the video is small and you have no cloud space, you can send it directly to my email address.

I will not release the videos and only use them for testing purposes.
I already have quite a number of video samples in my library, but I need more, unedited and with metadata intact. Especially from current camera models and smart phones.

Thank you in advance!

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

mopperle

Do you also want to get videos, from someting like drones (DJI), action cams (DJI, GoPro)?

Mario

Yes, please.

I have a few drone video samples, but more is always better. IMatch should provide excellent support for videos, on the same level as for images - to a point, all the metadata mess in videos considered...

Small files are good. The most important element is the metadata.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

A couple of users have already sent in files for analysis. Thank you!

So far, it is about as sub-optimal as I had assumed.

Apple uses make/model to record data.
Canon seems to use make/model consistently. Good!
Nikon does not record make/model. But buries the make / model in some videos in some 'noisy' maker note block not imported by IMatch by default.
Sony buries the make and model in some rather obscure H264 tags.
Google does not record make/model.
DJI does not record make/model.
GoPro does not record make/model.
Nokia does not record make/model.
Samsung does not record make/model.

I understand this from the standpoint of Google and other smartphone vendors. Smart phones and their ecosystem are designed to be as closed as possible, keeping the photos and videos the phone owners produce in the ecosystem - as a optimally life-long lock-in into the ecosystem/walled garden (and according life-long payments to the phone / cloud vendor).
When a camera uploads photos/videos via an app to the cloud, it sends all kinds of additional info about the camera, you, location data, whatsoever anyway - so the cloud vendor does not need proper make/model in the video.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Carlo Didier

Would some samples from Fuji XT-2 and XT-3 be useful?

Mario

I'm trying to collect as many samples from as many devices/cameras/phones as possible. So, any sample is welcome. I'll weed out duplicates myself, no worries.

Video files have an even bigger metadata mess than images - who would've thought that this was even possible
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

busbahnhof

Regarding modified metadata. Are you sure by uploading it to Google Drive, OneDrive and Co. that metadata are not modified? What I experienced is that Onedrive deletes at least the GPS data when uploading from Google Pixel 4a directly to OneDrive. I have not checked the rest yet.

Mario

When you upload via a smart phone an app, you allow this app to do whatever it wants to do with your files.
Why would a simple upload strip GPS data from the file? Are you sure the data was actually stored in the image and not in some database your Pixel maintains on the phone itself? Google has done stranger things.

Maybe not use your phone but copy from the phone to the PC and upload from there?
Uploading straight to DropBox, GoogleDrive etc. does not manipulate files in any way. Not as far as I know or have ever experienced.
You can also ZIP the files first before uploading.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

busbahnhof

What I did is:

1. Copying the file from the Smartphone to my PC Desktop by drag and drop in the Windows Explorer (Smartphone connected via USB cable). Right click on file, details, file includes latitude and longitude information.

2. Uploading the same picture directly from the smartphone to OneDrive via the OneDrive app. My PC is synchronizing OneDrive to a local folder. The image file appears there. Also right-click on this file, details, no GPS information at all.

Both files imported to IMatch. The content of the GPS fields as screenshots attached. To me, it looks like modified by the phone, most probably OneDrive. Same result with Google Drive app.

I couldn't find any switch in the gallery app, in the OneDrive app or in the Google Drive app that has to do with cutting off these data. Would be interesting if it is only me or if others have the same experience.

Mario

Strange. When I copy (in Windows Explorer) a file containing GPS data into my OneDrive and Dropbox folders, the file retains all GPS data (in EXIF and in XMP).

Maybe try another test. Copy from smart phone into a normal folder on your system. Is the GPS data still there?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

abgestumpft

Hi Mario,

a very good source for video samples is:
https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews
Here you can find some video samples (out of camera) for each tested camera.
Search in test-page of camera for "Sample Movies"

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

newsweatpantswhodis

Quote from: Mario on November 30, 2021, 09:01:51 AM
When you upload via a smart phone an app, you allow this app to do whatever it wants to do with your files.
Why would a simple upload strip GPS data from the file? Are you sure the data was actually stored in the image and not in some database your Pixel maintains on the phone itself? Google has done stranger things.

Maybe not use your phone but copy from the phone to the PC and upload from there?
Uploading straight to DropBox, GoogleDrive etc. does not manipulate files in any way. Not as far as I know or have ever experienced.
You can also ZIP the files first before uploading.

i ran into this phenonom back in the day quite a lot - definitely need to be careful how to export/upload videos to make sure they stay in original form, particularly on iphone and HEVC/HEIC.  for anyone on iphone looking to send samples to mario, or just for your general life purposes, i've used an app called photosync on ios to get photos and videos off of my phone and to my computer.  i highly recommend.  it's the only one i found that managed to successfully save original live photos + video complements separately such that i could reimport those into my iphone and the live photo would be re-created (i give that example only because it suggests it does a good job of not touching the makernotes metadata).