export and choose language of metadata

Started by kkiel, June 19, 2018, 02:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkiel

Hi everybody,

I would like to use the multi-language feature of IMatch's thesauri for recurring Keywords, headlines and descriptions (at the moment languages are set to neutral in my database). Is it possible to write XMP data into the image in a chosen language when exporting it from the IMatch database?

At the moment my metadata is German by default, English Keywords, headlines and descriptions are stored as attributes. To export my images with English metadata I use a metadata setting like

-Description={File.AT.Languages.EnglishDescription}

If I had that description in English in the description's thesaurus - could I somehow make IMatch chose the English version of the description?

I know that not all DAM-Systems understand multi-language thesauri but I want to selectively use IMatch to export metadata from the thesaurus in the language of my chosing (i.e. create new images with english metadata only).

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards,

kkiel

Mario

Only very few XMP tags support multi-language data, and many applications out there handle this badly or even strip out the data!
Hence IMatch currently uses the default language only, which works great and is apparently also OK for most users.

The thesaurus is only involved when you pick entries from it in the MD panel or KW panel. It is not used in any way when writing metadata.
Once you have picked a keyword or other tag value from the thesaurus, this is what is in your metadata and what will be written.

If you need to write the same file with metadata values in different languages, consider using a metadata template that copies metadata in a specific language from your Attributes into the metadata (e.g. one MD template for German, and another for English). In the Batch Processor you can also use different presets which either apply the English or German Attribute values to the output file.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

kkiel

Thank you, Mario,

I already found a way to copy metadata stored in attributes in a chosen language into xml when exporting images (via the export presets). It works well but it would be great if there was a direct connection between my keywords, headlines and descriptions in different languages and to manage this via a thesaurus. That way I could store recurring metadata (like: Ringelblume / Calendula officinalis / Common Marigold / Souci officinal) in one central place, change it, if necessary and apply it to an image (that already has the tag or headline 'Ringelblume') when needed. With the attribute concept I have to apply and to store the same metadata over and over again manually (tedious, if I have 100 Marigold-Images in my archive).

But since I seem the only IMatch-fan who distributes images in different languages and who absolutely wants to avoid mixing languages in the same metadata fields (as most people do) I think I have to live with that or change the DAM (which would be a pity ...). But it really, really slows me down.

Regards,

kkiel

Mario

Feel free to add a feature request into the appropriate board.
Explain what you need and how you would use it.

This records your request and other users can discuss it or +1 it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook