Problem configuring email module

Started by JasCarter, March 13, 2018, 06:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasCarter

Hi - I'm having difficulty getting the email module in 'Import/Export' to work. I've entered the email account details exactly in Thunderbird, my email client, but iMatch reports that it cannot send the test message. The server is set up for imap and is not prefaced by 'smtp', it's just name.name.net, but this works fine in Thunderbird. I've tried various cominations of setting the Authentication to Auto, or None or Encrypted, but without success.
Many thanks for any thoughts
--
James Carter

Mario

Usually this is caused by a wrong port or Authentication / Connection setting. The email module in IMatch is pretty basic but usually does the job OK.

IMatch should write additional information to the IMatch log file (Help menu > Support > View Application Logfile...) when it tries to send an email and fails to connect to the mail server.
Maybe this sheds some light on this.

Repeat the process and then immediately open the log file via the Help > Support menu. Search for lines containing W> or E>. Or something related to the word mail.
You can also ZIP/Attach the log file and send it to support email address.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JasCarter

Hi Mario - thank you for your suggestions. Immediately after trying to send the test email, the log file has an entry:
03.14 09:03:30+66628 [1FE0] 01  W> SendMail error:  (80040224)  'PTEmail.cpp(549)'
I don't think this is something worth spending a lot of time on: I can just continue to do what I have done until now, which is to export files at reduced size, then attach them to an email in Thunderbird.
Best wishes
James
--
James Carter

Mario

This is an error message produced by Microsoft MAPI (Windows messaging). Apparently there is no text associated with this error code (not untypical for Microsoft) and the error code is pretty generic too.

Having the full log file would be helpful, because IMatch logs the steps it performs when preparing and sending an email. This may indicate if this is an authentication problem, connection problem or a problem when finally sending the email. This is all a bit of a black box and usually 'just works' when the auth is OK and the mail server does not block access or sending.

I could find some reports about 80040224  errors related to anti-virus software blocking a software from connecting to the mail server. Other findings indicate that the connection (SSL, STARTTLS, AUTOTLS) was not configured correctly for the mail server. You may need to contact your ISP for details about the required settings.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JasCarter

I'm going to leave this: as I said, I don't think it's something worth spending a lot of time on, and it seems as if it could take a lot of time to get to the bottom of it!
Thanks for your help, as always.
--
James Carter

ubacher

I wonder if the email functionality could now be best done with an app? There must be plenty of examples/code
to do this in Javascript.

Mario

If your email provider supports sending emails via REST or a web service client, you can send emails from JavaScript using their API.
But this would have to be written for each mail provider (there is no standard API I'm aware of, maybe something for Node..?), you have to learn how to attach files, you cannot run Batch Processor presets from JavaScript etc. Lots of challenges. Feel free dig into it, though.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator