Mapping Delete key to delete instead of reject

Started by JLGF1, March 03, 2018, 03:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLGF1

I understand how the Reject tagging and Command/Delete is designed to work (within 10 mins of Trial it no longer appears to work; see bug report).

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=7794.msg54575#msg54575

However, I would personally prefer the ability to configure Prefs such that the Delete-key can be mapped to immediate delete...with the option of prompt (or not).  That is, a prefs/option, not mandatory.

See: FastStone or FastRawViewer....that both have this configurable option.

JohnZeman

So does IMatch.
Edit > Preferences > Application > Rejected files.

Mario

And of course you can always press <Ctrl>+<Del> to delete a file instead of rejecting it. (Will also prompt you).
Of course it is hard to know such details after only testing a software for 10 minutes.

I can only recommend to watch the tutorial videos and to press <F1> to open and use the help system. Things like which keys to use for what etc. are all explained in the help.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JLGF1

Quote from: JohnZeman on March 03, 2018, 04:14:23 AM
So does IMatch.
Edit > Preferences > Application > Rejected files.

Hi John,

Actually, almost...it can be set to delete (implied by Reject=No) but not delete-with-no-prompt...which the other apps can be configured to do.

No biggee...I can work-around it and do the majority of culling with other apps (eg FastStone or FastRawViewer)

Thanks.

JLGF1

Quote from: Mario on March 03, 2018, 07:58:59 AM
And of course you can always press <Ctrl>+<Del> to delete a file instead of rejecting it. (Will also prompt you).

Yes, I was aware of that.

Typically, during culling, I like to use my left hand on the delete key and my right hand on the mouse.  Can't do that with ctrl-delete...well can do it, but not quite as easily.

But, it's not a deal-breaker...I can cull with my other tools.  I just thought it might be worth considering to have this configurable.  Actually, on further investigation setting "Reject to No" implies delete...the difference being there is no option for no-prompt.

Thanks for the video tip, but I believe in the bug-report thread I have shown evidence that tracking Reject-status for later deletion has a few hiccups.

Just to clarify all I am proposing is a third option in addition to the existing two:

Delete-key action drop-down:
1) Reject
2  Delete with prompt
3) Delete with no prompt

Mario

There is also a keyboard shortcut for delete without prompt. But that cannot be mapped to a simple <Del> key for data safety reasons.
See the File Window help topic in the IMatch help system for details.

Tip: The IMatch Quick Start Guide (Help menu) has handy cheat sheets with all frequently used keyboard shortcuts.

The feature in IMatch fr culling files is the Viewer.. And in this feature the <Del> key is used to 'mark' the files for later processing. IMatch also automatically jumps to the next file after marking the current file, skips it when you navigate in the Viewer etc. If you have not yet used the Viewer or you are not yet aware of all the features it offers, I recommend to read the corresponding help topic once.

When you close the Viewer after using <Del> on one or more files, IMatch will ask you what you want to do. Among the options are "Reject" and "Delete"...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JLGF1

> But that cannot be mapped to a simple <Del> key for data safety reasons.

I can understand that rationale...however, having this configurable and letting the end-user gauge the risk might be something to consider.

Even thus, there is one more safety level ie retrieving from the Recycle Bin (at least until it is emptied).

> The feature in IMatch fr culling files is the Viewer.. And in this feature the <Del> key is used to 'mark' the files for later processing.

Is that the default start-up mode?  If so, that would have been the mode I was end.  As I mentioned, I tagged/deleted ok...right up until iMatch stopped recognizing that there were files that were tagged (see screen-shot).

Mario

QuoteEven thus, there is one more safety level ie retrieving from the Recycle Bin (at least until it is emptied).

Problem is here that by deleting a file, you also delete all associated data from the database. Restoring the file from the recycle bin brings back the file on disk, but all data associated with it in the IMatch database is lost. Hence it is better to make users think twice before physically deleting a file. Avoids lots of problems at minimal cost.

You can always switch the <Del> to delete under Edit > Preferences > Application (Search for del). Then you can use <Del> to delete files with a prompt, and <Ctrl>+<Del> to delete files without a prompt. And <6> to reject files in the file window.

QuoteIs that the default start-up mode? 

To open files in the Viewer, select one or more files in a file window and press <Enter>. The Viewer is a powerful tool for viewing and culling files. It has a ton of features for rating, labeling, categorization, vector annotations, face annotations and more. Press <F1> when the Viewer is open to open the corresponding help topic.

The keyboard shortcut and mouse action to open the Viewer can be configured under Edit > Preferences > File Window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator