Collapsible Metadata Viewer app

Started by JohnZeman, August 11, 2017, 02:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnZeman

For anyone who might be interested I've almost completed the upgrade of the Collapsible Metadata Viewer app so it works in IMatch 2017.  My intent in making this app (and the original) was to provide an optional condensed view of basic metadata in the focused image.

Like before, each section is clickable so you can toggle showing/hiding its contents.  Setting the defaults for which sections are open or closed is a simple change in the code, and how to do so is well marked by a comment for each section.

I also added something new, a text size counter for the description.

It's not quite ready yet, I'm waiting for an answer back from Mario about a problem I'm having formatting the keywords, but everything works so it's just a matter of cleaning up the code.  And some of that code I shamelessly borrowed from Andy's (Jingo) description writer app. ;)

DigPeter

That will be useful.  Will it possible to edit some fields - e.g. Description?

JohnZeman

No Peter, this app will only display metadata.  Now that Mario and Thorsten have solved my (hopefully) last issue I can wrap this app up and make it available to others soon.

DigPeter

JohnZeman

I've finished the app now and have attached it to this.
A few things about it.

1.  I've commented out a couple areas where I'll display customized for my own needs metadata.  No sense leaving them in because they'd likely be blank for anyone else.

2.  I configured this app for my Canon cameras so non Canon users may have to customize the Camera Mode metadata for their own particular brand of camera.

3.  By default I configured the app to start up with all sections open like you see in the attached screen shot.  But as mentioned above you can easily change those defaults to what you want by editing the code in the areas marked by comments.

4.  To use this app simply unzip the entire contents of the attached zip file then copy the collapsible-metadata-viewer folder to your webroot > users folder.

Jingo

Nice Work John.... a great addition to the APP club! 

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

dpop100

John,
You are my hero. Thanks for re-creating this app in 2017!!!!
As I posted in July, I depended on your original app to review my file data and was at a loss in the 2017 environment without it. Now I can continue my work happily. Although I know only a little HTML and absolutely no javascript, I was still able to move a few fields around in your new app to fit my taste, thanks to your logical, well-documented and clean code. Thanks!
David

Mario

Quote from: dpop100 on September 16, 2017, 01:39:00 AM
John,
As I posted in July, I depended on your original app to review my file data and was at a loss in the 2017 environment without it. Now I can continue my work happily. Although I know only a little HTML and absolutely no javascript, I was still able to move a few fields around in your new app to fit my taste, thanks to your logical, well-documented and clean code. Thanks!
David
Tip: You know that you can configure the metadata panel to show the same information as this app?
If you create your own metadata panel layout you have full control over which metadata tags are displayed, in which order, how they are formatted etc.
And you can change the data as well.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Mario on September 16, 2017, 08:15:06 AM
Quote from: dpop100 on September 16, 2017, 01:39:00 AM
John,
David
Tip: You know that you can configure the metadata panel to show the same information as this app?
If you create your own metadata panel layout you have full control over which metadata tags are displayed, in which order, how they are formatted etc.
And you can change the data as well.

And you can do other things like say, if a metadata-field is empty, fill this field with a red color, if it has a value, set no color.
The metadata panel offers quite a lot of possibilities.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Darius1968

I'm checking out this app, but how do I get started in deciding which metadata I don't want and what I would like to add in for display? 

JohnZeman

You would have to manually edit the script to add or remove metadata.  To tell you the truth I haven't even used that app in a long time.

As Mario pointed out up above in this thread you can do pretty much the same thing with a custom metadata panel layout and it's much easier to modify than a script is.

I wrote the collapsible metadata viewer app a few years ago when I was still young enough to write a few apps.  Now that I'm in my mid-70s my app writing days are long gone so I'm afraid you'll be on your own to make any changes to the app.

Darius1968

Yeah, the built-in metadata panel is perfect.  Well, only almost perfect because it doesn't accommodate attributes, and the attribute panel doesn't offer all of the nice formatting options as does the MD panel :-( 

But, I understand.  All the best.  Thanks for responding to me.