Transforming Categories into @keywords

Started by SinaSchaeper, January 16, 2017, 10:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinaSchaeper

Dear all,

I'm having a problem with using my categories and hope you can help me. I'm currently using a categorie system to sort my pictures. Now I want to add this information to the picture itself by adding keywords in the metadatas. I have seen that if I use @keywords I can add them to the thesaurus. Is there a possibility to transform my existing categories into @keywords?

Looking forward to your solutions...

Best
Sina

Mario

The @Keywords category hierarchy represents the actual (hierarchical) keywords in your files. It has some special abilities. For example, when you assign a file to a @Keyword category, the corresponding keyword is applied to the file. See @Keywords in the IMatch help to learn about this.

IMatch categories have many advantages (faster, in-database, formulas, Aliases, ...) over 'simple' keywords stored in your files.
The @Keywords categories tries to get you the best of both worlds.

Assigning a file to @Keywords does not add the keyword to your thesaurus.

The simplest way to convert your categories into keywords would be to:

1. Select a category in the Category View
2. Select all files in that category with Ctrl+A
3. In the Keyword Panel, assign the keyword you would like these files to have.
4. Press <U> to remove all files from that category.

If the @Keyword category already exists, you can also

3. Press <Ctrl>+<C> to copy the files into the clipboard
4. Select the @Keywords category you want to assign the files to
5. Press <Ctrl>+<V>

or drag the files from the source category into the @Keyword category.

If you have too many categories to do it manually, look into Metadata Templates to automate the process.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

ubacher

QuoteIf you have too many categories to do it manually, look into Metadata Templates to automate the process.

I tried setting up a template.

I have the categories 0TEST|Cat1 and 0TEST|Cat2 assigned. When I run the template (see screenshot of setup) I get the
keyword @Keywords|0TEST|Cat1;0TEST|Cat2. The ; is set up as a separator but it seems it is not recognized in this case.

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Mario

The ; is set as a separator where? For IPTC import for keywords? This has nothing to do with metadata templates.
Metadata templates don't have any logic to somehow "split" the input variable you provide and then somehow produce multiple tag values for the output. There are complexity limits, even for IMatch. Not everything you think should work does work (or can work).

You can try to use multiple input variables, each addressing one level in your category hierarchy. Then you will get multiple entries in keywords.

It's usually best to use @Keywords for categories you want to have in keywords. And other categories for the rest.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook