Largest File size?

Started by Aubrey, January 14, 2016, 08:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

I have created a panorama in LR6.3 and exported the DNG.
When IMatch loads this, initially there is a blurred image. This then becomes the DNG icon in the thumbnail.
The size of this fileis 276,795 KB
I have another file 269,106KB this loads without issues.

Is there a largest file size that IMatch will ingest?

I can see the preview fine in the Windows Explorer window, so there must be an embedded jpg file.

Thanks,
Aubrey.

Mario

Without a log file I cannot tell. The file size in bytes is irrelevant, but it may be that the dimensions of your files break the image library used by IMatch. Or that not enough memory is available. Panorama files are always special and require special software. The Viewer can display files up to the maximum size supported by your graphic card, usually 16384 pixels in either dimension.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Mario,
Thank you. I have exported jpg and DNG files. I will stack them, keeping jpg on top. In the event I want to rework I'll go back into LR.

Life's too short to figure this one out !

Aubrey.

Art

Quote from: Mario on January 14, 2016, 01:13:29 PM
Without a log file I cannot tell. The file size in bytes is irrelevant, but it may be that the dimensions of your files break the image library used by IMatch. Or that not enough memory is available. Panorama files are always special and require special software. The Viewer can display files up to the maximum size supported by your graphic card, usually 16384 pixels in either dimension.

I have an issue with iMatch not creating cache thumbnails for some GeoTIFF images (approx. 45000 by 27000 pixels, approx. 650 MB file size), but the "competitors" do generate thumbnails for the same images.

Is the pixel size here the possible issue or could it be something with the GeoTIFF file format? At the moment it only shows the icon for the default program used for TIFF files.

Though much smaller GeoTIFF files do generate a thumbnail preview so I'm inclined to think there is a maximum pixel size for iMatch to generate a thumb image, the question is then what would the maximum be. The file mentioned above is a relatively "small" one for files actually used for final output, there are ones that are at least 20 times larger and with those I can imagine it might be a problem to generate a thumbnail preview.

Cache image size is set to 1600x1200 pixels, cache size to 10GB and not fully used.

Mario

Quote(approx. 45000 by 27000 pixels,

I think this is outside the limits of any of the 3rd party image libraries I use in IMatch. 32K pixels in either dimension is one of the magic numbers, for example.
To handle such large files you will need specialized software that has been designed from the ground-up to manage such massive files.

Except from ripping out and replacing the tried and true image libraries ($$$) and migrating IMatch entirely to 64 bits (lots of work) I don't see a chance to process such uncommonly large files. This is not a typical DAM task either.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

Quote from: Art on May 19, 2017, 11:12:25 PM

I have an issue with iMatch not creating cache thumbnails for some GeoTIFF images (approx. 45000 by 27000 pixels, approx. 650 MB file size), but the "competitors" do generate thumbnails for the same images.

Just curious: for what reason do you need so large files?
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Art

Quote from: Mario on May 20, 2017, 07:26:56 AM
Quote(approx. 45000 by 27000 pixels,

I think this is outside the limits of any of the 3rd party image libraries I use in IMatch. 32K pixels in either dimension is one of the magic numbers, for example.
To handle such large files you will need specialized software that has been designed from the ground-up to manage such massive files.

Except from ripping out and replacing the tried and true image libraries ($$$) and migrating IMatch entirely to 64 bits (lots of work) I don't see a chance to process such uncommonly large files. This is not a typical DAM task either.

Thanks for the info, a 32k by 32k pixels image is just 15% smaller than the image I was talking about, so by creating a bit smaller tiles (the image is part of a set of tiles created from a 2+ GB master image) I should then be able to have previews in the cache. That would work well enough for my purposes.

The others that do generate thumbnails are 64-bity programs, but one of them takes so long (also with rescans) that is is not really usable for me. I've tried several  DAM software programs and iMatch offers the best balance between features, usability and speed.

These images are digital assets too  :). So I'd figure it could benefit from using a DAM but I do realise these kind of large image sizes (hundreds of megabytes to several gigabytes) are not average for most users, but for me it is nice to have a preview if I have multiple images of the same, but with differences between them, so that I can visually see if it is the image I am looking for without having to open the entire image. Thumbnail only is usually sufficient for that purpose, a (pre)view of the entire image at full size would not be necessary.

Art

Quote from: sinus on May 20, 2017, 12:11:18 PM
Just curious: for what reason do you need so large files?

Highres aerial/satellite images of an area. These files can range from tens of megabytes to 10+ gigabytes for TIFF files depending on the amount of data and size of the area. These images are mostly used in GIS software (GIS=Geographic Information System, e.g. ArcGIS, QGIS etc.) or other software where such images are used as a background for projects.  Like Google Earth images, but of (much) higher quality.

Sometimes I have images made in one year, e.g. 2005, and then newer images become available (.e.g from 2016) which then need to be used. Sometimes both images sets are used to compare between two time frames. Lots of possibilities depending on what you need it for.
For the really large areas one can choose to create a single image, but not all software can handle that (read, generate the image in the program) and then a tiled version of the "superimage" can be created. E.g. a 2GB image could be split into four 500MB image tiles, or eight 250MB tiles. Sometimes just a section of the overall is needed for other purposes, and then it would be nice to have a visual through the thumbnail preview to see if you got the right tile as a textual description of two lines or so doesn't really tell what is in the image. Which is why a DAM like iMatch can be useful.

sinus

Thanks, Art, for the really interesting answer!  :)
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

You can create a proxy image (reduced size) of the bug image and set this as a "proxy" version in IMatch. This will allow you to see the files in IMatch, just not at the full 1 billion x 1 billion pixel size.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Art

A proxy image could be a solution for the really large ones, based on the help file I guess it should be manually linked as a version of the original. If there is a different/better way I'd appreciate to hear.

If the files are 32k pixels max in each directions then I'll use the default way of having thumbnail previews as that saves another file to keep track of.