Drag of application links into Favorites/Application fails

Started by HGF, August 14, 2015, 04:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HGF

In win7 Imatch 5 drag and drop of application links from my desktop into Favoriten/Anwendungen worked fine.
After upgrade to win 10 this fails. When dragging the icon from desktop to Favoriten/Anwendungen I'm getting a not allowed sign. Same result with different applications. Manual copy won't work as well, the context menu is not selectable (grey),
What to do?
Thanks in advance
HG

Ferdinand

What I did was find the application in the start menu, right click on it, select "open file location", which opens the File Explorer, and then drag the shortcut from the File Explorer to the Favourite Applications panel.  That worked for me.

HGF

Thanks Ferdinand, this is how it worked in the past. I tried to drag from desktop, start menue, browser, copy paste, - the result is always the same, it looks like a permission problem. Paste is grey (not selectable), small icon when dragging is like not allowed. By the way, I started imatch with administrator permissions.
As a workaround, does anybody know if it is possible to add apps by editing a script file in imatch?
Thanks in advance

Ferdinand

David_H

Quote from: HGF on August 15, 2015, 09:17:43 AM
Thanks Ferdinand, this is how it worked in the past. I tried to drag from desktop, start menue, browser, copy paste, - the result is always the same, it looks like a permission problem. Paste is grey (not selectable), small icon when dragging is like not allowed. By the way, I started imatch with administrator permissions.

Windows (now) generally prohibits applications running as administrator from being talked to from applications not running as administrator, have you tried it not running as administrator?

HGF

When opening without "open as Administrator" imatch cannot open the database. "Datenbank gesperrt oder nicht beschreibbar. Tried to enables permissions on the database file, unfortunately unsuccessful.
Sript opens the external application what is fine, but it opens always the first pic of the folder from where i come in Imatch. How to handover particular pic information?
Nevertheless, scope should be to have the App available in the favorites window. By the way copy and paste of apps in the apps window is possible. maybe it is possible to edit a copy?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

1. Do not run applications as Administrator in general. This opens all kinds of security holes.

2. IMatch does not need to be run as Admin.

3. If you have created your database while being logged on as Admin, only the Admin can access the database file. You need to set the security permissions on the folder (!) containing the database file and all files within (!) to allow access to your other user account or Everyone.

The script mentioned above has been written explicitly to open the selected folder (!) in an external application. How the external application interprets that depends on the application. In your case, it just opens one file from the folder...

To open files in an external application, drag the files from the IMatch file window to the icon of the other application (if it is not running yet) or the application window.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

HGF

Hello all, location of imatch db was in root of C:, because of SSD. Impossible to assign the correct rights, maybe this depends on windows partition. I moved db from C to D what is a fast HD and it is working fine now. Drag and drop of apps and all the other nice features seems being working without Admin mode. Thank you very much for your support, it was really helpful. Cu HGF

Mario

As explained in the IMatch help file in more detail (to look it up: type Database in the help index, then click on Basics in the result list), you should always create your database in a separate folder. And of course never in the root folder of a hard disk. By default, IMatch creates databases in the standard per-user documents folder - the physical name of that folder varies between Windows versions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook