Selecting/deselecting multiple ranges of files

Started by BaliDave, August 12, 2015, 10:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaliDave

But I'm missing something: how to (de)select multiple RANGES of files?  Normally in windows I select the first files or range with either clicks or shift-clicks.  Additional single files can be added to/subtracted from the selection via ctrl click.  But often I'm dealing with hundreds of files in some random-like order and need to select multiple ranges of files as well as some individual ones for some operation, e.g. put in a category.

But what I don't find working in IMatch is doing (selecting or deselecting) 2nd or subsequent ranges using a click on a file followed by a ctrl-shift click on the end of the range like I do in Windows -- instead IMatch just adds/subtracts the last file.  I searched the help and the forum but I couldn't find an answer to this. 

[Edit: There's a feature request for this is at https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4729
Probably best to add your input there and if you agree, "Like" it so Mario will implement -- BaliDave]

Carlo Didier

iMatch unfortunately does not behave exactly as Windows Explorer or other applications when selecting images. I too have had my problems with that, but some things have already been changed.
You could post a feature request to add this, if it's possible with the GUI developper tools that Mario uses.

jch2103

In the meantime, a work-around is to use Dots, Flags or Pins to temporarily mark files you want to act on. Just make sequential selections, adding them to whatever collection you're working with and then clear the collection after you're done. Not as simple as what you're requesting, but it does work.
John

BaliDave

Thanks Carlo, I will submit a feature request.  I'm surprised this hasn't come up before tho.

And good idea jch2103 about using dots, pins, ...  as a workaround, tho it is rather tedious but better than nothing.

Feature request is at https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=4729

Please "Like" if you agree

Mario

I have not implemented the complex selection/partial de-selection scenario because it a) is rarely used (this is why it was never requested) and b) it complicates things internally a lot. More complexity means more time, more testing, more bugs.

IMatch has it's unique collections (Bookmarks, Pins, Dots, Flags) which can be used exactly for the purpose you have in mind - to quickly setup a complex selection of files. Just press <B> to bookmark the files you want to process, for example. When you are finished, switch to the Bookmark collection, perform the operations you want to perform, and then empty the bookmarks collection when you no longer need the selection. Or maybe keep it. Or maybe convert it into a category. Or move the files into another collection.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Ferdinand

Quote from: BaliDave on August 13, 2015, 12:55:07 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't come up before tho.

It has.  I've never like the departure from Windows standard selection / deselection behaviour either.  It's confusing.  There was a reason for it, which I don't recall, except that I didn't consider it a strong enough to justify a departure from the standard. 

Mario says that it's complex, but I don't get this.  You can do it now, but there are extra keystrokes to achieve a discontinuous selection compared to the Windows standard.  E.g.  to CTRL-Click to deselect an image, you then have to do the same to another image in the selection to ensure that the first image is not only unselected but also has lost focus, and then again CTRL-CLICK the second image to ensure that it has the focus and is selected.

ubacher

If one could add selected files to a existing result window (via a script) one could "collect" all selected files
in a result window. This would be a simpler way than using a collection.
I think I have made this feature request already.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on August 13, 2015, 09:05:55 AMIMatch has it's unique collections (Bookmarks, Pins, Dots, Flags) which can be used exactly for the purpose you have in mind - to quickly setup a complex selection of files.

Yes and no, you still have to first select files the conventional way to add them to those collections. If you simply want to add files to a category, for example, first adding them to a collection is an additional unnecessary step (and you have to remove them from the collection afterwards, one more step).

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Ferdinand on August 13, 2015, 01:01:54 PM
Quote from: BaliDave on August 13, 2015, 12:55:07 AM
I'm surprised this hasn't come up before tho.

It has.  I've never like the departure from Windows standard selection / deselection behaviour either.  It's confusing.  There was a reason for it, which I don't recall, except that I didn't consider it a strong enough to justify a departure from the standard. 

Mario says that it's complex, but I don't get this.  You can do it now, but there are extra keystrokes to achieve a discontinuous selection compared to the Windows standard.  E.g.  to CTRL-Click to deselect an image, you then have to do the same to another image in the selection to ensure that the first image is not only unselected but also has lost focus, and then again CTRL-CLICK the second image to ensure that it has the focus and is selected.

My saying for a long time ...