Versioning by EXIF time stamp

Started by markkums, January 30, 2015, 09:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkums

Hi there,

I am not sure if this is a real problem, maybe a feature.

However, zero seems not to be exactly zero in time tolerance settings for managing relationships. If I do "refres relations" by zero setting, there will be some .nef files set as versions of an earlier nef-file if those files have been shot with the highest frame rate ( there is abt 1 frame in each 0.1 sec in D4). So, in addition to converted .jpgs (that is my target in versioning) I will get some nefs also included here. Any advice?

B.r: Markku

Mario

Hard to imagine what you want to tell us.
Show us the "File date and time" of these two files.

IMatch compares the two timestamps and then compares the resulting absolute difference in seconds via <= (less or equal) with the number of seconds you set in the dialog. If the time difference in seconds is <= <allowed difference>, the file is considered a version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

markkums

Hi Mario,

Thanks for your response. Attached a jpg of one versioning result.

My point is that if I set allowable time difference=0, there will be, however, some difference allowed (some tenth of seconds) and this results that some other nefs close to that particular  master will be set into versions.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

The precision of this tool is seconds, because the EXIF timestamp only has a resolution of seconds. Some cameras write the optional 1/100 sub-second timestamps but the versioning detection does not consider those. If you need to deal with versions which are only 10th of a second away, you'll need to find some other criteria.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

markkums

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Ok, understand.

I do not figure out very well all possibilities in building of relationship criteria, but is it possible to make any cobination of criteria, say with e.g. name AND time stanp?

Ted

Quote from: markkums on January 30, 2015, 01:40:27 PM
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Ok, understand.

I do not figure out very well all possibilities in building of relationship criteria, but is it possible to make any cobination of criteria, say with e.g. name AND time stanp?

You might try versioning on the 'Shutter Count'.  That will be the same for jpg's from a nef, but different for each nef.  If you haven't already done so, you will have to turn on collection of this metadata in the 'Tag Manager'.
-----
Ted
Enjoying life one day at a time.

Ferdinand

Quote from: Ted on January 30, 2015, 02:20:44 PM
You might try versioning on the 'Shutter Count'.  That will be the same for jpg's from a nef, but different for each nef.

This only works if the JPG has maker notes, and many raw converters don't include them in the converted image.  You can propagate them, but doing so is not without risk.  I used to do it in IMatch 3.6, but I've found it harder to get this right in 5.x and I've stopped doing so for the moment.  Instead (or as well) I include this information in the file name, so that I can use it in versioning and other file management tasks.  I also include it in an IPTC/XMP field at download, since Downloader Pro can insert the shutter count in the file name and an metadata field for me.

Ted

Quote from: Ferdinand on January 30, 2015, 02:29:42 PM
This only works if the JPG has maker notes, and many raw converters don't include them in the converted image.
Guess I've been lucky.  I used to used Capture NX2, but now use Photoshop to convert NEF to JPG and to my knowledge have never had a problem.  But, as you indicated, I always use Shutter Count as part of my file name as well.

I guess the key then, if you decide to use this method, is to verify that Shutter Count is not removed in your creation / modification of your JPG.
-----
Ted

Ferdinand

I imagine that Capture NX/NX2 would since it's Nikon s/w.  Capture One Pro 7/8 doesn't.  I thought that Adobe didn't either - a quick check suggested that ACR didn't so I assume that LR doesn't either.  Bibble 5 used to but ASP doesn't.  Photo Nina doesn't.  (This is from a quick check of some versions, although I need to ignore any where I might have propagated the maker notes myself in either 3.6 or 5.x, so I can't be 100% certain of all of this as I only did this check quickly.)  Of course any in-camera JPG from RAW+JPG would have the maker notes.

markkums

Hi,

Sounds interesting. I use Capture One 8. I need to check that function.

Ted

My statement was not correct.  I use Shutter Count to modify the NEF file name; then I create the JPG - I just checked one JPG created from PhotoShop and it DOES NOT CONTAIN the Shutter Count.  My apologies.

---
I have used versioning infrequently and never had a problem because the Shutter Count is part of the filename and I versioned on the filename.
-----
Ted

Mario

If it would be possible to use variables to specify the version criteria, we could do this, and a lot of other cool things...I just don't recall a feature request for that.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

markkums

Ok, thanks for details. In my current situation I have some 100+ k raw-files and I have not thus far modified filenames, so there are overlapping numbering (i.e. Nikon has numbers 0000...9999 running in sequence). So raws from a same camera body will have from time to time same filename in use. Otherwise this has not been problem, but here in versioning it causes now some head scratching...

markkums

Quote from: Mario on January 30, 2015, 03:38:46 PM
If it would be possible to use variables to specify the version criteria, we could do this, and a lot of other cool things...I just don't recall a feature request for that.

Ok, thanks Mario. I´ll consider this and will be back later...