Maps

Started by Darius1968, August 12, 2014, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

I'm sorry if this question is basic and the info is readily available, but this concerns some image files from an iPhone 4g phone.  The same file on my storage space (SmugMug) very adequately shows a map of the GPS coordinates for the file.  When the same file is ingested by IMatch, no image can be loaded for the map data, and I know that other iPhone 4 metadata are present.  What gives? 

Ferdinand

Got a sample file we can look at to see what's inside?  (I don't own an iPhone.)  Or perhaps someone else who has a Steve Jobs communication device.  Be sure to zip the file, as the forum upload software strips out metadata and then we'll see nothing.

Mario

Yes. We need a sample file. IMatch relies on XMP GPS coordinates, which it produces from existing EXIF GPS data in the image automatically. Without a sample file, no clue.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Very well, here is a sample file.  Before I attached it, I uploaded it to my space at SmugMug.  There, I verified that the GPS data was there by clicking the "Info" button to be sure that a map was produced, which it correctly was! 

[attachment deleted by admin]

dadu

I downloaded this file and opened it on my iPhone 5S in the Camera+ app.  GPS info indicates it was taken in the vicinity of Wexford, PA, near a Burger King, with an iPhone 4.

sinus

Quote from: Ferdinand on August 12, 2014, 12:48:43 PM
Or perhaps someone else who has a Steve Jobs communication device. 

;D
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Ferdinand

Well I downloaded the file and imported it into my test database.  The metadata browser shows the GPS coords.  I opened the map panel and it showed the location of the file on the map without any trouble.  I don't think this database has had anything unusual done to it - I don't use the map all that much at the moment.

Can you see the GPS coords in the metadata browser?  If not I suspect that IMatch is mis-configured somehow.  This should work with the out-of-the box configuration.  Have you changed the metadata settings for JPG files?

dadu

Also, the Koredoko app (which I recently discovered and LOVE, since it lets you assign GPS coordinates to an image on the iPhone, saving back a duplicate file with the new metadata), shows the exact coordinates to be:
N 40.618333
W 80.055000

Darius1968

I think I originally stated the GPS coordinates were/are registering in my database already under the metadata panel.  The problem was that no map (for whatever reason) would display!  However, now (for whatever reason, again) that map is now visible! 
Some questions:

• At the bottom of the map panel, there are two text entry fields - "Target Marker" & "Search".  Can these toggled on and off to give more room for the map?  Is there a full screen mode for the map panel? 
  • I know that there's a zoom for the map that allows for scaling of the map.  However, often times, when zoomed into the max, the markings are still too small.  For this, is it possible to zoom the already rendered map (ie., 50%, 100%, 200%, 400%, etc.)?

Mario

The image is OK and has valid coordinates. The globe icon shows up in the file window to.

Note: You must be on-line (connected to the Internet) in order to use the Map Panel.

QuoteAt the bottom of the map panel, there are two text entry fields - "Target Marker" & "Search".  Can these toggled on and off to give more room for the map?  Is there a full screen mode for the map panel? 

Are you aware that any IMatch panel can be resized, un-docked, moved to a second monitor? You can resize the Map panel to any size you like, or even make it flot to make is large as your monitor allows. See Panels in the IMatch help for all details. Enter Panels into the Help Index and then double-click on Arrange to find the corresponding help.

2. The Zoom is controlled by the Map Provider you use (OpenStreetMap, Google, Bing) not by IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook