Selection via directories and categories combined

Started by Gerd, July 01, 2013, 11:07:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gerd

Dear community,

where to look, how I can select files from folders and categories? My directories are, e.g.: pics \ 2013 \ 05 \ 2013-05-20 \ files ... a category e.g. 'birds'

I now want to see all 'birds'  from 2013 and month 05 ...

Where can I see, which categories are applied to a file?

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

ChrisMatch

Hi

To combine directories and categories take a look at category formulas.
To see what categories are assigned you can open the corresponding panels (Categories, Keywords...)

Gerd

I, will try ...

at moment, I'll try it via filter-panel, but less success, it does not react on file-name-specs like "beginning with" ...

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Sorted

I haven't IM5 Beta - yet - but in V. 3.6 you could firstly select the category 'birds' and then filter by date range. Alternatively, you could select the folder and filter by category. Presumably this is at least as easy in IM5 Beta.

Regards,

Jeremy

BenAW

Quote from: Gerd on July 01, 2013, 11:07:06 AMI now want to see all 'birds'  from 2013 and month 05 ...
Go to the Timeline view and select the appropriate date, or month or year. In the Filter panel Activate a Filter an the required categories. With the filter Active you can select any date you like, and only see images from the "filtered" categories.

Quote from: Gerd on July 01, 2013, 11:07:06 AM
Where can I see, which categories are applied to a file?
In the Category Panel, which has a very convenient section called "Current"

ChrisMatch

Quote from: Sorted on July 01, 2013, 11:58:26 AMAlternatively, you could select the folder and filter by category

Yes, that is another way to do it.
You can select a folder and then use the filter for date and or category.
BUT: those filter criteria may be hidden and you must use the dropdown to show them.

Gerd

Hi,

If I select the folder with the month, I see no pictures, only in the date-sub-folders pictures are shown. I miss an option to show pictures including sub-folders ...

But I opened now a special thread for this problem.

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

QuoteI miss an option to show pictures including sub-folders ...
See the hierarchy button in the file window toolbar.  This allows you to control if and how many levels (sub-folders, child categories, ...) you see in the file window.

Corresponding Help topic:  Hierarchical Display, in the File Window
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Hi Mario,

thx! Yes, that's want I have tried to find. If I set it to 'show all levels' there also the filter-panel works, that means, that no match give me no pictures.

If I switch from Media&Folders to Timeline, then I got a wrong display: no matches -> ALL pictures are shown ...

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

Is this not the same problem we are discussing in the other thread. Did you see my reply?

The hierarchy setting is independent for each of the Views. When you enable it on Media & Folders, it will not be automatically enabled for categories or the time line. Make sure you enable it for the view you work in.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Gerd

Yes, it is the same problem,

but I did not understand ...

In Folder-view I select month 03, in filter-view I select 'flowers'  and file-name contain is '_19' -> result: 6 photos
Now I swith to Timeline and select month 3, filter-view not changed, result: 6 photos

In Folder-view with selection month 03, in filter-view I select 'flowers'  and file-name contain changed to '_20' -> result: 0 photos, because there are no photos with this string in the file-name
Now I swith to Timeline and select month 3, filter-view not changed, result: ALL photos ....

Is that correct???

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

Mario

While in the timeline view, pause/un-pause the filter (toolbar button in the filter panel). Does this change anything?
When the filter is deactivated, how many files are in the File Window in the M&F view? And in the timeline view? Same files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Gerd

Dear Mario,

I will later come back to this here, test with Hierarchy "Show all levels" and Filter-settings are working fine

Hierarchy switched off gives me some 'unexpected' results together with filter-settings. At moment I would say, this setting does not make sense .... may be, you can explain, for what it is usable ...

I will try to get more experience, also with using the help-file ... if I search for Hierarchy, I get 25 finds, the first is Release-notes ...

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd

BenAW

At the moment I can setup two Filters that work as expected when used individually, but when used together the Filter results in showing ALL files that are in the Filewindow. I didn't see any influence of the Hierarchy setting (yet?).
This is valid for eg . Timeline, and then bookmarking these images to show the same files in Collections.
But also in Category view or M&F I've seen this behaviour.
This is behaviour I haven't seen in earlier builds.

Mario

Can you give me an example?

I have successfully performed the filter the OT wanted and the filter worked.
We must do something differently or I'm overlooking something. Filters are complex. Give me the steps you take, or a screen shot of your filter panel. I can fix it when I can reproduce it.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

BenAW

I'll include 4 screenshots showing the Filewindow containing 100 images on a certain date in the Timeline View.
Filter1 and Filter2 are the two separate filters, working as expected.
Filter 3 is the result when combining the 2 filters.
Filter 4 is the result after inverting the Filter.

I hope it's not a re-occurrence of https://secure.photoolsweb.com/mantis/view.php?id=573
The invert filter not working is suspicious imo.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Gerd

Hi BenAW,

may be, it's the same, that I had ... try to set the Hierarchy to "Show Hierarchy" and also "Show All Levels".

In my example in month 04 I have 77 flower-pictures, with Filter-File Name contains _14 the result is 8

If I change to "Inver Result", I get 69 files. 69 + 8 = 77

Regards
Gerd
_______
Regards
Gerd