Grouping People by Years

Started by vpv, February 12, 2024, 06:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vpv

Hi!

I have assigned Categories for People, for example, to family members and years
199x-
200x-

I am looking for the best way to have automatically generated Categories with Person-by-Years

On the screenshot is what I have now, with category formulas: "Years|200x|2009" AND "People|My Family|Y", for example

What would be the better way?
Thanks, Pavel

Mario

This is not enough information.
You did not attach a screen shot.

I understand that you use categories to group files by years.
Which would indicate that the Date Subject Created timestamp in your files does not match the actual time? Else a data-driven category based on the year of the file timestamp would automatically group files by year, no?
For example:

Image3.jpg

The data-driven category groups by the year part of the Date Subject Created tag. The preview shows the result.

I don't understand exactly what the category formulas you mention do. They don't look like valid formulas to me.

Do you want a hierarchy like

Person A
 | Year
 | Year

or

Year
 | Person A
 | Person Z

or

Year
  | Family A
    | Year 
    | Year 
  | Family Z

All is doable with a data-driven category and variables based on variables like {File.Persons.Families.Name} (assuming you group persons into families) and {File.Persons.Label} to get the person name. Use a level based on the year of Date Subject Created to bring in the time component.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook