Save sorting profile does not work

Started by awoxx, June 27, 2023, 11:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

awoxx

Hello Mario,

first of all thanks for the continuous development of iMatch over so many years and the excellent support in this forum.
Since upgrading to version 2023 I have a problem with saving the sorting profiles. This worked for years without any problems. Now, each time Imatch is opened, the selected sorting profile is not retained ("Remember layout" is activated), but the profile above the previously selected entry is loaded.

Example:
For each tab, I chose the sorting profile Creation date.
I close IMatch.
The next time you open it, Events appears as the sorting profile.
The next time you close and reopen, File Format appears, then Orientation, and so on.

If I want to save my sorting profile in the workspace, I have to select Creation date (newest first) so that "Creation date" is saved.
Since I seem to be the only one with this problem, apart from a single related post
(https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13330.0.html), I'm wondering if I messed something up or if it might have something to do with the changes made in this area according to the release notes.

Andreas

thrinn

Quote from: awoxx on June 27, 2023, 11:20:41 AMSince I seem to be the only one with this problem,
I just checked, and I can also reproduce the issue - at least partially.
The steps are the same as you describes:
  • Select a profile.
  • Close database.
  • Open database.

Strangely enough, sometimes the selected profile is retained (let's say its the one with index n), sometimes the profile with index n-1 is selected instead. For example, when I select "Events", the selected profile stays at "Events" after reopening the DB. But when I select "Capture Time (Newest first)" (or any layout with an smaller index), reopening the DB switches the layout to one one entry higher in the list.

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

axel.hennig

Strange. I can also reproduce this (with an IMatch 2021-DB migrated to 2023). Not tested with a new DB.

Same as Thorsten: "Events" stays "Events"; "Capture Time (Newest first)" goes one up to "Capture Time" goes one up to "Added" goes one up to "[Custom]" goes one up to "Default" and stays there.

awoxx

Thanks for confirming this behavior. It's hard to describe because it's not 100 percent reproducible, at least for me.
But I can reproduce the error on a second PC.

hluxem

I don't know exactly what happens as I could not find a pattern. 

I certainly can confirm that something changed with the sort orders in Imatch 2023. I often find myself wondering why the images are sorted strangely. Then it's on orientation, added or some other sort order I rarely used. I selected remember layout, but I still have random sort orders popping up.

Heiner

Pescheid

Yes. This is the same behaviour as I reported in my post https://www.photools.com/community/index.php/topic,13330.0.html. As I use German language in my UI the Sort Profile "Erstellungsdatum" is converted to "Ereignisse". But is remains "Erstellungsdatum" when I activate "Remeber Layout", which needs to be done for each folder however. But in the Events view for Files by "Today over the years" the sort profile at opening is always random, even with "Remember layout" is activated.

Peter

Mario

I could so far not reproduce this.

Basically, the File Window saves a "global" sort profile, which is the last preset used. This is applied to all File Windows that don't have the "Remember Layout" option set.

If the "Remember Layout" option is set, the File Window remembers the name of the selected sort profile. When the File Window is loaded again, it searches the sort profile drop-down control for the saved name and then selects the same entry in the list and applies the sort profile. It's pretty simple, actually.

I've looked at the code and it looks as if it does what it should.

Any specific steps, configuration or anything I can try?
Which View are you in when this happens? Media & Folders, ...
Does this happen only when the "Remember Layout" option is set, or either way?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

axel.hennig

What I did and produces this "sort profile switch"

1. created new database (IMatch 2023.1.12)
2. added one folder with approx. 20 pics (being in the Media & Folder view)
3. Switched to "[Custom]" sort-profile ("Remember Layout" is NOT turned on)
4. Closed database (not IMatch, just the database via Database -> Close Database)
5. Opened database again (via Database -> picking the database from the menu that appears when clicking on "Database")
Result: Sort-profile is "Default"

More info:
When "Remember Layout" is turned on this "sort profile switch" does not happen. It just appears to happen when "Remember Layout" is turned off (default).

Mario

Hah! Just as I wrote the question, I could finally reproduce it.
It happens (to me) only when the "Remember Layout" option is not enabled. Because this happens when the global sort profile is restored.

The cause for the problem is that IMatch 2023 displays the [Custom] sort profile at the second position, after [Default]. And this messed with the profile restore code, sometimes causing an off-by-one error.

Fixed for IMatch 2023.1.14.
Thanks to all who provided feedback.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

awoxx

All is well again, you are the best.
Thank you!

Mario

Very good. Thanks for the feedback.

If you like IMatch, please spread the word. Let others know about it :) Thanks!
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

awoxx

That's what I've been doing - since 2006. ;-)

Mario

Much appreciated! Thanks
It's almost impossible to complete against marketing budgets like Adobe's 200 million US$ per year...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator