Files not present in TimeLine

Started by rienvanham, June 16, 2023, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

(iMatch 2023 is running)
I'm placing files into folders (tree is watched by iMatch). iMatch reports that it has finished processing the file(s). They don't appear into the TimeLine. If I look at a file it has a timestamp of "2023:06:16 09:57:48+00:00" (Date Subject Created). (if I click on the time it changes to "2023:06:16 09:57:48Z".

If I remove the "Z" then the time changes to  "2023:06:16 09:57:48+02:00" (what is the correct timezone for here in the Netherlands) and the file appears in TimeLine!

Perhaps a glitch somewhere? Thanks in advance / Danke schön,

Regards,

Rien.

Mario

QuoteIf I look at a file it has a timestamp of "2023:06:16 09:57:48+00:00" (Date Subject Created). (if I click on the time it changes to "2023:06:16 09:57:48Z".
These are the same. Z stands for UTC, which is +00:00. Z is more common, though.

When the user enters a time stamp in the MD panel or removes the time zone offset (or Z), IMatch adds the current local time-zone as documented. Which is apparently +02:00 in your place.

A timestamp without a time zone offset could be anything and is considered as not well defined. So this is to be avoided.

With the Timeline you mean what? The Timeline View?
It may take a while for new files to finish processing and to show up in the time line. You can always press <F5> after clicking into the Time Line left panel to force a refresh.

To find the time line node for a file, use "Goto Timeline" (File Window context menu > Additional Functions) <Shift>+<Ctrl>+<G >from any view. Or select the file and search for goto t in the Command Palette
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

I will investigate this furter tomorrow. I never had this issue with 2021. Thanks so far!

Rien.

Mario

Quote from: rienvanham on June 16, 2023, 08:04:01 PMHi Mario,

I will investigate this furter tomorrow. I never had this issue with 2021. Thanks so far!

Rien.
Did you check the files reported as not well-defined or missing a time-zone after the database migration?
You will have been notified. See File.DateTime Migration
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

I did the following test:
- startup iMatch 2023;
- startup ABBYY Finereader;
- scan, OCR and safe a PDF-document into a folder under the tree that iMatch "watches";
- wait at least 15 minutes;
- no update in "TimeLine panel";
- modified the time in "Date Subject Created" (remove the "Z" - iMatch changed it to "+02:00");
- TimeLine panel is updated!

File is present in folder with this timestamp:

Waited at least 15 minutes; no update of the TimeLine-panel:

Removed the "Z" in "Date Subject Created"; now the TimeLinePanel is updated:

Regards,

Rien.

Oops, screenshots are removed

rienvanham

screenshots

Mario

So the Z seems to be the culprit? I'll check that.
Can you attach the PDF? I need to look what metadata it contains, if it has a time zone offsets set, where and which etc.
You can also send it to support email address with a link back to this topic.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

rienvanham

Yes, tried it again (and again) and everytime I have this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Rien

Mario

I have a "date tests" folder in my test library which has all kinds of files with time zone offsets or none. All load fine and all show in the time line.

When I add new files to the folder by saving a file in Ps or copying it in to the folder, the Time Line View updates as soon as the file was added and shows it.

This must be something specific. Is the file still open in the other application? It might be locked and inaccessible for IMatch. But then it would also not show up in the Media & Folders View - but you did not write that this is not the case.

Maybe when I have your PDF here I will know.

Did you use the Goto Timeline command on the file (Shift+Ctrl+G in all views except the time line)? What does it do?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

Next test:
- I created a PDF with FineReader and saved it to drive D: (which is NOT scanned by iMatch);
- Closed FineReader;
- Copied the file with TotalCommander to "e:\Bestanden\Mijn Documenten\Computer\" ("e:\Bestanden\Mijn Documenten\" is the rootfolder in iMatch);
- I see on my screen (right bottom) that iMatch has detected a change and scans the tree;
- Waited at least 5 minutes;
- TimeLinePanel does not reflect the change;
- Time in "Date Subject Created" shows "2023:06:17 08:59:39+00:00"
- Updated the time in "Date Subject Created" (only removed the "Z")
- Time in "Date Subject Created" shows "2023:06:17 08:59:39+02:00"
- TimeLinePanel immediately shows the updated count and the file is present there!

Mario

IMatch shows the Timeline View.
You add new files to a folder somehow.
You don't change the view and remain in the Timeline View.
The new files don't show up in the Timeline View, even after waiting for some time.

What happens if you switch to the Media & Folders View and back to the Timeline View? Does this refresh the display and show the new files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

- Saved the same file under a new name into "e:\Bestanden\Mijn Documenten\Computer\";
- iMatch sees the change and starts the updating process;
- TimeLineView shows "3" for today (and thus 3 files);
- pressed F5 - nothing changes;
- Go to the folder where the files are stored: new file is present;
- Back to TimeLineView: shows still 3 files;
- F5 again: no change
- Back to the folder:
- Change Date/Time;
- Voila! It's there:

BTW I know that 08:59:39Z is the same as 10:59:39+02:00 but this is just for testing.

rienvanham

Mario

I could finally reproduce the issue.
It was caused by internal optimizations in the Timeline View to prevent it from updating too often while IMatch is ingesting new or updated files in the background.

This has been fixed in the 2023.1.8 release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

"Supertoll"!!

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Rien.

rienvanham

Hi Mario,

Very sorry to tell you but I don't see any difference in behavior. Added files are still not reflected into the TimeLineView. Even worse: after changing the time (what helped in the previous version) nothing happens.

Another thing: I find reading the time in Zulu not convenient; everytime I have to think "oh yes, we live here 2 hours later". Can't the time be shown in "our" time? With timezone? (+02:00).

Thanks!

Rien.