Simple Filter above Thumbail View

Started by Lord_Helmchen, December 18, 2022, 01:13:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord_Helmchen

Maybe I have overseen, where I could find this, but I miss a functionality in Thumbnail View to activate / deactivate simple filter (like in many other similar views in other programs). I'd like to be able to filter have simple selection for followings filters:
  • Specific XMP rating (*, ** or ** - *****)
  • Bookmarked Master / Versions
  • File format (Raw, JPEG)
  • Rejected

I know, I could do this all in filter panel, but the filter panel is much too powerful for daily use and too easy to click it away, so didn't see which filters are active (I know, that folder head line color is changed to blue to indicate that filters are active).

And as there is plenty of space, I'd really like to have this feature.

If something similar is already implemented, please ignore this request and let me know, where I can find it.

Mario

I assume you mean the File Window with "Thumbnail View".
Consider these points (just from the top of my head):

You want me to add 4 "filters" (the ones you need):

A) Rating: 7 icons (1-5,reject,unrated). What about invert/NOT?. More icons/buttons.

B) Bookmarked Master/Version
Bookmarks is a collection. Users also use the flags, pins, dots collections. So we should allow to filter for them too.

4 icons/buttons for your version filter: Show only masters, show only versions, show unversioned. Invert.
Or more icons/buttons, to show only files which are not masters, not versions or versioned...

C) IMatch supports over 120 file formats + user-defined formats.
Some formats use the same extension but are named and managed separately. Showing only the file extension may not suffice.

D) 'Rejected' is included in A)

You don't mention a filter for label. Many users use labels for their workflow. You may not, but many do. This should be included. Label color + label name. Other users might also want to filter for certain file properties like 'read only' or stacks.

And we need something to allow the user to tell IMatch how to combine these filters.
Do you want "bookmarked files with a rating of 3+" or do you want "bookmarked files OR files with a rating of 3+"?

Keep in mind that the many other programs you mention often have a very limited set of filters, which makes this a lot easier.

All this will not of course not fit into the existing FW toolbar.
So I would have to add a second toolbar ("Filter Bar") to display all these filter controls and icons.
One that can be shown when needed, to conserve vertical screen estate. Like the Filter Panel.
Some users work on 4K screens with plenty of space. Others work on Notebooks with 1920x768 or 2560*1920 pixels and screen estate is precious.

Since different users have different requirements for filters, I probably need to make this filter bar configurable somewhat. Like the Filter Panel.

All this is doable and would cost maybe one or two weeks of developer time. Plus documentation updates, translations etc.
Also needs some deeper thinking up-front, e.g. how to handle situations where the user sets up incompatible filters in the filter bar and the Filter Panel, e.g., rating 3 in the filter bar and rating 4,5 in the Filter Panel, what would be the outcome?
How to combine the new filter bar and Filter Panel and File Window Search Bar. Things like that.

Frankly, I think that all that is best left to the Filter Panel.
It can do everything that you request, and lots more.

You can configure the Filter Panel to show only filters you need.
You can open, close or auto-collapse it as needed.
You can place the panel it where you want, to make the best out of the available screen estate.
You can save filters (and combinations of filters) you need often and then recall them with a click.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

Yes, it's the file windows.

I see, where you come from. But maybe, there is a reason, why many programs do not offer more than ratings and labels. Because that is sufficient most most people. And even for those, who need often more (as I do), the basic functions are sufficient. For me, I think that's likely for 2/3 of all cases.

Of course space is sometimes very limited. If that's the case, not all "comfort functions" would work. But if there is plenty of space is "wasted", because I use Full HD or 4k, it complicates the work unnecessary.

My proposals where just "what I could imagine for sufficient for 90% of my use cases". So what I really miss, is ratings and labels, as labels are sharable between different programs.

Regarding your proposal "You can configure the Filter Panel to show only filters you need":
Because I sometimes need complex filters, the filter panel is pretty complex configured. I haven't found a way to define a "simple filter panel" for a basic subset of filters that i frequently use.

If you'd decide to implement, there would be several ways to implement, depending on implementation complexity.

What about the other IM users? Any comments?

thrinn

Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on December 18, 2022, 05:43:08 PMBecause I sometimes need complex filters, the filter panel is pretty complex configured. I haven't found a way to define a "simple filter panel" for a basic subset of filters that i frequently use.
But if you save your complex filter configuration into a dedicated filter? Then you can just reload it into the Active filter. And the Collections filter panel already includes, among other collections, Label and Rating. So, you could save a filter setting just with Collections into an own "Simple Filter Panel" filter. This should make it quite easy to switch between simple and complex filter.

I was just to suggest to use the "Hide all panels" option in the filter manager to "clean up", then using the "Load selected filter" button, but I realized that loading a filter does not open the corresponding panels. I think this might actually a bug, so I will open a bug report for this issue.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Quote from: thrinn on December 18, 2022, 07:10:18 PMI realized that loading a filter does not open the corresponding panels. I think this might actually a bug, so I will open a bug report for this issue.
No. This behavior by design design.  Applying a stored filter does not mess up the Filter panel by closing / opening filters. This way you can combine a stored filter with the current contents of the Filter Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: thrinn on December 18, 2022, 07:10:18 PM
Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on December 18, 2022, 05:43:08 PMBecause I sometimes need complex filters, the filter panel is pretty complex configured. I haven't found a way to define a "simple filter panel" for a basic subset of filters that i frequently use.
But if you save your complex filter configuration into a dedicated filter? Then you can just reload it into the Active filter. And the Collections filter panel already includes, among other collections, Label and Rating. So, you could save a filter setting just with Collections into an own "Simple Filter Panel" filter. This should make it quite easy to switch between simple and complex filter.

Thanks for your response. It's not, that I always use the same filters. The only ones I very often use are stars, labels and bookmarks. The others are used "on demand". Very often I filter on one folder (a photography session). But sometimes, I filter on categories or keywords (e.g. all photos with 3-5 stars in categories / keywords "sunset" and "water".

So dedicated filters don't help here.

For me it would be sufficient to have a list of 5 stars, where I could active from 0 up to 5 stars to filter and a drop-down menu for labels. Optionally a bookmark flag. But as bookmarks are not shared with other programs that isn't so important.

sinus

Where I agree, that the filter panel is very, very powerful and for me not easy to handle. That is why I use it seldom.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: sinus on December 19, 2022, 04:55:11 PMWhere I agree, that the filter panel is very, very powerful and for me not easy to handle. That is why I use it seldom.
Do you filter sometimes on star rating? Do you do this via filter panel, or do you use a different way?

Ger

The filter panel indeed is very powerful - and I use it a lot. The dedicated filters are great to re-use complex (or less complex) filters (one of these 'Attention for detail' items in the thread 'What makes IMatch unique'.

Maybe you can use a set of predefined simple filters for ratings to quickly filter on 3, or 4 or 5 stars and then use the search bar in the file window to search for a keyword?

sinus

Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on December 19, 2022, 05:30:36 PM
Quote from: sinus on December 19, 2022, 04:55:11 PMWhere I agree, that the filter panel is very, very powerful and for me not easy to handle. That is why I use it seldom.
Do you filter sometimes on star rating? Do you do this via filter panel, or do you use a different way?

I do very seldom filter on star rating. Means 2-3 times a year. In these cases I go to the collection view, click on the wished star and -if necessary- search with the normal search in the bar above.
Same with labels or other collections.

But I must not often search for collections.

What I must do often, ist searching for words, or filenames and so on.
If searching the whole DB, then I use an app, else I search with the normal search-bar.
Markus

ubacher

QuoteFor me it would be sufficient to have a list of 5 stars, where I could active from 0 up to 5 stars to filter and a drop-down menu for labels. Optionally a bookmark flag. But as bookmarks are not shared with other programs that isn't so important.
Seems to me the filter panel option Rating,Label and Collection is what will help you a lot
.Filter.PNG

thrinn

I wonder if it would help if Automation Favorites were able to show or hide specific filters in the Filter Manager? Then we could create one Automation Favorite to show just the "Rating, Label & Collections" panel. And other ones to show more complex choices of filters. I take it we all agree that the functionality requested is already there, only the filter panel is "too powerful" to use for some simple filter requirements. If we could use favorites to switch between different "layouts" for the Filter Manager (a kind of "mini workspaces"), would this fulfill your needs?

What do you think?
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: ubacher on December 19, 2022, 08:52:50 PM
QuoteFor me it would be sufficient to have a list of 5 stars, where I could active from 0 up to 5 stars to filter and a drop-down menu for labels. Optionally a bookmark flag. But as bookmarks are not shared with other programs that isn't so important.
Seems to me the filter panel option Rating,Label and Collection is what will help you a lot
.Filter.PNG
I find the "Rating, Label & Collection" part of filter panel not intuitive in usage.

1. Enable filters (unnecessary step for a quick filter)
2. Select Stars etc.
3. De-select Stars etc.
4. Disable filters - otherwise I see no photos (unnecessary step for a quick filter)

Mario

Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on December 20, 2022, 09:55:15 AM1. Enable filters (unnecessary step for a quick filter)

4. Disable filters - otherwise I see no photos (unnecessary step for a quick filter)
This mechanism enables you to setup expensive/slow filters without IMatch delaying you by refreshing the File Window.
Keep in mind that many IMatch users manage very large sets of files and here performance and easy of filter modifications without reloads becomes an issue.

This is basically a comfort / convenience feature.

You can disable / pause the entire Filter Panel with the toolbar button.

Or just disable individual filters without changing their setup. For example, you don't need to reset/clear your "filter bar" rating and label settings when you want to see all files again. Just disable the Rating, Label & Collection filter with the check box.

If you have other filters active (e.g. a person filter or location filter), they stay active.

QuoteSelect Stars etc 
De-select Stars etc. 
How else would you select a rating?
Files with a rating of 3 or higher is one thing.
But how else to select files with a rating of 2* or 4*? Or rated files with less than 2* or rejects?

You say you don't use collections (maybe Bookmarks) but other users do.
And "files with a rating of 3+ and a red label " is totally different from "files with a rating of 3+ or a red label".
This is why IMatch offers you the AND/OR options for this filter.
The same is true for "All files without a red label" or "All not rejected files", which is easily done by clicking Invert.

I have to keep the entire user base in mind, from new user to long-time IMatch nerd.
This is not always easy, I can tell you.

I tend to intentionally err in the "allow for more flexibility, deeper features" direction. because there are already many simple image catalogers/easy-DAMs around which do only a minimum (but may work great for many!).

I' happy to learn about feature ides, suggestions and improvement ideas. If I think that a new feature will be helpful for a relevant number of users, I will think about it.

There are simple features which take a few hours to implement. And there are more complex features like the "filter bar" we're discussing here which require two weeks to design and implement.

Especially filtering is complex for the File Window. Whatever the File Window does, it must consider if the Filter Panel is active and how files need to be filtered. It also needs to consider if the Search Bar is in use and how to deal with it.

Adding a filter bar as a 3rd possible way to filter files in the File Window will add a lot of complexity to it. Not only the UX for the filter bar, but also the additional logic and branches required by the FW.

And we have it all already in the Filter Panel, tried, tested and working.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: Mario on December 20, 2022, 12:49:14 PM
Quote from: Lord_Helmchen on December 20, 2022, 09:55:15 AM1. Enable filters (unnecessary step for a quick filter)

This mechanism enables you to setup expensive/slow filters without IMatch delaying you by refreshing the File Window.
Keep in mind that many IMatch users manage very large sets of files and here performance and easy of filter modifications without reloads becomes an issue.

This is basically a comfort / convenience feature.

You can disable / pause the entire Filter Panel with the toolbar button.

Or just disable individual filters without changing their setup. For example, you don't need to reset/clear your "filter bar" rating and label settings when you want to see all files again. Just disable the Rating, Label & Collection filter with the check box.

If you have other filters active (e.g. a person filter or location filter), they stay active.

Yes, for a powerful tool like the advanced Filter Panel you're absolutely right, that this flexibility is needed. But my request was for a simple easy to use feature, that is always present in File Window, without need to open and configure the Filter Panel.

QuoteSelect Stars etc
De-select Stars etc.
How else would you select a rating?
Files with a rating of 3 or higher is one thing.
But how else to select files with a rating of 2* or 4*? Or rated files with less than 2* or rejects?

For a "Quick Filter", I think "only 2 and 4 stars" is not a necessary requirement. I think it would be sufficient to either:
- Show anything
- Show 1-x stars
- Show x-5 stars

But if you want more flexibility, then show 6 stars (from "blank" 0 stars to 5th star) and allow user to de/select the star, this would show the photos with marked number of stars. Similar to Rating, Label & Collections from Filter Panel.

QuoteYou say you don't use collections (maybe Bookmarks) but other users do.
And "files with a rating of 3+ and a red label " is totally different from "files with a rating of 3+ or a red label".
This is why IMatch offers you the AND/OR options for this filter.
The same is true for "All files without a red label" or "All not rejected files", which is easily done by clicking Invert.
Yes, that's why I'd never say "please remote Filter Panel, because it's too complicated" - it is useful for sophisticated filter actions.

QuoteI have to keep the entire user base in mind, from new user to long-time IMatch nerd.
I fully agree! But for me it looks, the filter panel is mainly aimed to advanced users. But even they try to avoid Filter Panel, as it's very powerful, but jet complex in usage.
Try to explain a new user, diving into DAM and all that shitty complex metadata staff, that for filtering on stars, he has to open Filter panel, enable Rating, Label & Collections, ensure that no other filters are active - don't forget to scroll down, to see nothing is hidden.

And tell the new user why this is much better, than with not-DAM applications, where it is much easier (DxO PhotoLab, GeoSetter, FastRawViewer to name the ones, I use).

I used the Filter Panel in the past, but I several times I haven't got the results for simple filter on stars, because there was an "old filter" still active. And as you saw also other long time advanced users try to avoid the Filter Panel, if possible.

I could live, but not like, with the current Filter Panel. But I think it makes it especially for new users more complicated.

Mario

I'll keep your request open.
So far It has been discussed and other users made comments and suggestions. No "Like" or "+1" so far.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: Mario on December 22, 2022, 01:29:07 PMI'll keep your request open.
So far It has been discussed and other users made comments and suggestions. No "Like" or "+1" so far.
Shall I post this request in feature requests with reference to this thread?

Mario

Your post sounded like a feature request but I did not see that you posted it in General Discussions.
I will move it into Feature Requests where it belongs.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

The problem for me is, that generally I agree, that an easy solution would be great. 
But to give a +1 for the FR, it is also to "one-sided". For example, to see quickly only specific formats, would be great, but there are a lot of formats. 
The filter-panel for me is not enough intuitive and too complicated (don't forget, it is for me, I know, other isers love it), hence I use mostyl other possibilities. 

Means for the idea to look for also an easy solution, I would give a +1, but not for the concrete proposal.  
Markus

Mario

Quote from: sinus on December 22, 2022, 05:17:50 PMFor example, to see quickly only specific formats, would be great, but there are a lot of formats.
I doubt that it would be possible to make the file format filter much easier.

It just lists the formats used in the current scope and you tick the formats you want to filter for.
If you want to exclude (hide) certain formats, you select those and tick the Invert option.

Image3.jpg

Of you search for .afphoto OR .afdesign in the File Window Search Bar (Advanced Mode must be on).
Or just for .NEF if you only want to see NEF files.

I filter often for ratings and labels and some collection. I don't see how much more compact I could make this filter if I put it into a "filter bar":

Example: filter for files with rating 4 or higher (which means 4 and 5) and a red label:

Image4.jpg

When I reduce this to rating & label only (or rating only) to dumb it down for a "filter bar", I'm quite sure users will complain and ask for inclusion of bookmarks. Or flags. Or ....

Adobe needs a drop-down menu and a list of stars to implement better than, equals, less than for ratings. And they don't support non-consecutive selections like 2* or 4*. IMatch only needs the rating icons... ;)

All that being said, I'm not averse to the idea of a "simple filter bar".
But how much work to put into this, how much to leave out, which features / icons to include, how make it cooperate with the Search Bar and the Filter Panel, how many users would like to see this...many open questions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: Mario on December 22, 2022, 06:03:31 PMImage4.jpg

When I reduce this to rating & label only (or rating) to dumb it down for the "filter bar", I'm quite sure users will complain and ask for inclusion of bookmarks. Or flags. Or ....

I think the rating is pretty small. What uses much space are the labels. You allow to filter for different labels (and provide much more than standard). For a Small Filter Bar, what about having a drop-down list to select one (or multiple) Labels? If there is need for other collections that might be added in a similar way. But for me Rating would be sufficient, Label would great and Bookmark perfect.

As it should not replace die filter panel, not everything must be there.

Lord_Helmchen

Quote from: Mario on December 22, 2022, 03:26:18 PMYour post sounded like a feature request but I did not see that you posted it in General Discussions.
I will move it into Feature Requests where it belongs.
Well, my initial post was combined with a question regarding an overlook feature. So I don't wanted to bloat feature requests with possibly existing features. ;)

And just for the records: +1

Mario

QuoteWhat uses much space are the labels.
This depends on how many labels you configure under Edit > Preferences > Metadata.
IMatch by default ships with pre-configured labels which cover a wide rage of applications. And that for different languages.
Users can easily remove labels they never use.

QuoteFor a Small Filter Bar, what about having a drop-down list to select one (or multiple) Labels?
Drop-downs are always an option.

But how to visualize which labels are currently used for filtering the File Window contents? Does the user have to open the menu to see which labels are checked? This could be confusing?
One idea would to display color boxes of the labels active for filtering behind the menu drop-down.

The solution to use 16 pixel boxes for labels works  well in the Filter Panel. You can tick the labels and see if they are ticked.

QuoteWell, my initial post was combined with a question regarding an overlook feature.
I don't see this. Was this answered?`
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Lord_Helmchen

QuoteWell, my initial post was combined with a question regarding an overlook feature.
I don't see this. Was this answered?`
Yes, but there is currently nothing - so question answered.

Therefore I started my feature reuqest. 8)

jmsantos

Quote from: Mario on December 22, 2022, 06:03:31 PM
Quote from: sinus on December 22, 2022, 05:17:50 PMFor example, to see quickly only specific formats, would be great, but there are a lot of formats.
I doubt that it would be possible to make the file format filter much easier.

It just lists the formats used in the current scope and you tick the formats you want to filter for.
If you want to exclude (hide) certain formats, you select those and tick the Invert option.

Image3.jpg

Of you search for .afphoto OR .afdesign in the File Window Search Bar (Advanced Mode must be on).
Or just for .NEF if you only want to see NEF files.

I think it would be desirable to make the file format filter much easier.
For example, if I have only JPG and TIF files in a folder and I want to filter one or the other, I don't see the need to display all the other file formats in the filter panel. I think the list of formats that appear in the filter could be dynamic, like other programs do.

Mario

I have put in some thought when designing the File Format filter.

The File Format filter shows all file formats used in your database (not all of the 120+ Formats known to IMatch) and formats used in the current scope are shown in bold and show the number of files for that format in the current scope.

Listing only the formats in the current scope would hide which formats are actually activated in the filter - if these formats are not in the current scope.
For example, you select JPG and DNG and TIFF in the filter and then move to a scope containing only JPEG files. Now you would see only the entry for JPG files, but there would be no indication that the filter also checks for DNG and TIFF files.

I could add some extra smarts here and showing only file formats which are a) in the current scope or b) are selected in the filter.
But I did not find this important enough. Even in my most variable test database I have only about 20 different file formats in use, which makes the File Format filter very manageable. 20 formats listed, the one's in the current scope shown in bold and with a count.

How many file formats do you use in your database?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jmsantos

I just calculated more than 20 file formats in the database: RAW from various camera brands,, JPG, TIF, PNG, documents from different software (pdf, doc, ppt, ppt, odt), 3D, audio, etc. The most files might be about 10-15 formats.

When I look in a folder, category or collection (scope) that only has JPG, it would be logical that in the file format filter list I only see JPG. What does it matter? When I go to another scope with JPG, TIF and DNG, I could see at a glance how many of each format there are and I could filter them easily. It would simplify the selection a lot. What I don't see logical is that in that list I see also audio formats that are not in that scope, but in other folders.

It would also be nice to remove the filter mark from all the selected formats with a single click when I want to uncheck them, not needing to uncheck one by one those I have previously checked.

Mario

QuoteIt would also be nice to remove the filter mark from all the selected formats with a single click when I want to uncheck them, not needing to uncheck one by one those I have previously checked.

Click the reset button the bottom right of the File Format Filter. The tooltip reads: "Reset all check boxes".
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

jmsantos

Quote from: Mario on March 07, 2023, 07:40:52 PM
QuoteIt would also be nice to remove the filter mark from all the selected formats with a single click when I want to uncheck them, not needing to uncheck one by one those I have previously checked.

Click the reset button the bottom right of the File Format Filter. The tooltip reads: "Reset all check boxes".

Oh, simple :-X . Thank you!