Workflow questions

Started by Lawjbm, August 13, 2020, 04:58:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawjbm

Hi. I am a potential new user. I briefly used the trial before my trial period expired.

Like many I am an non-pro, but shoot a lot of MMA, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and Strongman/Strongwoman competitions and have tens of thousands of pictures over a decade to organize.

I used to use Photoshop CC, but transitioned to Affinity Photo and go back and forth between Capture One Pro and DXO Photolab.

I have a couple of very basic workflow questions.

How do Imatch users import and then integrate with Imatch? Import with the RAW processor or does that mess things up? Import with a program like Photomechanic?

Is there a suggested workflow listed on this site?

I generally import all images into essentially folders in Windows Explorer and then process the RAW image I select, and then export to Affinity Photo for final processing or compositing. I am trying to become more organized. I have tons of file folders imported through Bridge to manage.

I know I seem clueless, but I am just trying to set up an easy workflow.

I tried Photo Supreme and liked its import and export functions, but found it very slow.

I am running Windows 10, Intel 4077k overclocked to 4.2 ghz, 32 gb RAM, and a gtx 970. C drive is an SSD.

Can I similarly export images in Imatch to Affinity Photo or other programs like CS6 (which I still have and use) similar to Photo Supreme?

Thanks so much in advance.

Mario

I have never used Photo Supreme so I cannot comment on that.

IMatch does not have import features - if you mean by import to "download" photos from the camera somehow?
Windows has built-in functions for that, and your RAW processor / Adobe / Affinity product have them too.
No need to duplicate things or come up with my own version of the wheel in IMatch.

Tip: Check out Working with RAW Images in the IMatch help system for some good info for starters.

Many users (me included) just download/copy new files into a dedicated "Import" folder.
If this folder is indexed by your IMatch database already, IMatch picks up the new files automatically. Now your files are already organized by IMatch.

You can browse the files, use the Viewer in IMatch to do a quick review/cull as needed. Optionally use the Renamer to rename the filers, create new folders on-the-fly, move files, create backups. Maybe use Metadata Templates to fill in standard metadata. Or do this when you have finalized your images in your image editor - this depends on your preferences.

This is what I call the central hub approach. You organize your files from the first phase on in IMatch and use it as a hub to launch your other applications to do the editing or whatever.

Other users prefer to initially use their RAW/Image editor to process new files, do the culling etc. And then add the resulting files to IMatch afterwards.
Some users prefer specialized software for culling, and another for editing.
Some users only manage "final" files in IMatch (for example, the resulting JPG/TIFF/PSD files suitable for long term archival, but not the RAW files).
IMatch is agnostic and supports any of these workflows.

Many different users, many different workflows... in my experience: keep it simple.

It is easy to open the images from IMatch in your external editor, see Opening Files in Other Applications).
When you make changes to your files in other applications, IMatch automatically updates your database.

When you create derivative images (versions) from the original files (e.g., RAW->DNG or JPG) make sure to tell IMatch which RAW files you use and the version file name extensions. And enable buddy files. See File Relations
This allows IMatch to automatically keep your original files and versions together when you move/copy/rename them. And to copy (propagate) metadata from the master to the version automatically. Versioning in IMatch is a very useful and powerful concept and you may not have used that before - none of the applications you listed supports this.

Be careful which application you allow to add/edit metadata. Not all applications you have listed apply established metadata standards. Some can make a big mess of your metadata.
IMatch users generally seem to agree that it is best to add/edit metadata only in IMatch.

Be prepared to make some tests and adjustments. No workflow is optimal from the beginning. Again, I recommend to keep things simple.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

DigPeter

I take the external approach and use Breeze Systems' Dowloader Pro to download images straight from SD card or camera and Breeze Browser Pro to do an intitial cull.  Downloader has a flexible rename facility and can create and download into any required folder.  It can then automatically link to Breeze Browser Pro to do the initial cull, in the case of RAW files using the associated jpg files.  Both apps are kept up to date with the latest RAW format, with free updates within a year of purchase.  Any gps data in the image file is retained, or can be added from an external gpx file during download. There are additional metadata facilities if you wish to use them - but note Mario's word of caution.
Once this is done, IM can add the files to its data base by shift-F5 on the folder containing the newly created folder.

Jingo

As Mario wisely stated.. no single workflow is for everyone... and you will tweak your workflow many many times even after it is established. 

I've finally settled on a workflow that works my type of photography.. family, travel and nature.

I use Photo Mechanic to import RAW files from SD cards... It too renames based on camera model, allows me to quickly cull the ugly and then imports them into a RAW folder.  If I was just importing directly into IMatch, I would just use the functionality within the program.   From there, I bring them into Capture One, further cull, batch edit and export high resolution JPG files with the same naming scheme (folder and filename) - just to a different drive. 

I then fire up Imatch which auto-adds the new files, apply a metadata preset with copyright info, and gives them a label of Just Imported.  I then apply keywords, further cull if necessary, geotag and perhaps perform face recognition or Auto Keywording.

Rinse and Repeat for each time I have enough photos on my cameras to warrant the process!

JohnZeman

I use FastRawViewer to cull and import the keepers from the photo card directly to the IMatch folder they will be stored in permanently.

Then in IMatch I have a formula category that shows all new images added today, that makes it easy for me to find them.

As IMatch adds the new photos to my database it automatically applies a metadata template to fill in the basic metadata that's applicable to every image (copyright, etc).

Finally I use IMatch to rename the new photos, add other metadata as necessary, assign categories, keywords, and geocoding.

For processing I use IMatch favorites to send the selected photos to DxO PhotoLab, Affinity Photo, and others.

jch2103

Welcome to the IMatch community!

Quote from: Jingo on August 13, 2020, 02:10:01 PM
As Mario wisely stated.. no single workflow is for everyone... and you will tweak your workflow many many times even after it is established. 
Indeed! Been there, done that, a number of times...

My workflow (like Jingo, mostly family, travel and nature photos):

- I directly drag photos from my camera memory card into IMatch, using a camera/year_month_day file system structure.
- In IMatch, I assign keywords (taking advantage of the Thesaurus) and other metadata and then rate the photos.
- Based on Rating, I drag and drop selected images onto an IMatch Favorite for DxO PhotoLab and process the selected images. (I also sometimes use Affinity, especially for stacked images, as well as Photoshop/Lightroom and more specialized programs like Sequator.)
- IMatch (using the defaults for buddy files) keeps the original raw files, the .dop configuration files and the output JPG images organized.

John

Lawjbm

Thank you Mario, DigPeter, Jingo, JohnZeman, and jch2103. 

All of the information was very helpful.

I took the plunge and purchased Imatch. 

I have been reluctant to purchase new software.  Not so much due to the cost perhaps, but over the years I have accumulated several programs of which I never really made use. 

I have read quite a bit about Imatch over the last few months, although my work schedule limited the time I could commit to the trial.

The quick and detailed response I received from everyone was reassuring and appreciated.

Thanks so much again.

Carlo Didier

Quote from: DigPeter on August 13, 2020, 01:08:58 PM
I take the external approach and use Breeze Systems' Dowloader Pro to download images straight from SD card or camera and Breeze Browser Pro to do an intitial cull.  Downloader has a flexible rename facility and can create and download into any required folder.  It can then automatically link to Breeze Browser Pro to do the initial cull, in the case of RAW files using the associated jpg files.  Both apps are kept up to date with the latest RAW format, with free updates within a year of purchase.  Any gps data in the image file is retained, or can be added from an external gpx file during download. There are additional metadata facilities if you wish to use them - but note Mario's word of caution.
Once this is done, IM can add the files to its data base by shift-F5 on the folder containing the newly created folder.
Nearly exactly the same here.

meyersoft

Quote from: Carlo Didier on August 14, 2020, 10:13:04 AM
Quote from: DigPeter on August 13, 2020, 01:08:58 PM
Nearly exactly the same here.
Same here. Using an older version of Breeze Systems' Dowloader Pro which is still fine for me.

DigPeter

Quote from: meyersoft on August 15, 2020, 12:43:41 PM
Same here. Using an older version of Breeze Systems' Dowloader Pro which is still fine for me.
Yes - you only need an update if you shoot with a new raw format.