2020.2.2: Merge People

Started by hluxem, February 28, 2020, 04:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hluxem

I like to be able to merge 2 persons by changing the unique tag of one person or have a simple merge with button. Currently you can rename the tag if you want to change the name, but if you choose a tag from another existing person a message says the tag has to be unique. Makes sense if you are not aware that this person already exists, but eliminates the option to clean up persons when there are different spellings or an extra space. In Imatch 2019 I could right click the collection and change the name, if the name was not unique the images were merged into that collection. This option is not there anymore.

Heiner

Mario

Each person is distinct and uses a unique tag.

I'm not sure what you mean by "merging a person". To me this sounds like you would like to assign all files of person B to person A. And then remove person B.
Because A and B are actually the same person, just with a slightly different tag caused by inconsistent annotation tagging done in previous IMatch versions?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

QuoteTo me this sounds like you would like to assign all files of person B to person A. And then remove person B.
Because A and B are actually the same person, just with a slightly different tag caused by inconsistent annotation tagging done in previous IMatch versions?

That's exactly what it is. In some cases it is just an extra space I didn't notice.

I do believe it may also be important when the people organizer is used and person1 to n are created. If person 1 already exist in the database there is currently no easy way to deal with that.
This is related to the other feature requests for batch assigning persons.

Heiner

jch2103

This would be helpful. It's too easy to get in a situation with multiple names for the same person (incl. typos, etc, or prior inconsistent naming, etc.). There should be a simple way to merge these variations into a single Person.
John

Mario

All this is what I was hoping for...

People working with IMatch 2020, trying things out and come up with improvement ideas. Very nice.
All these features have been built with change in mind.

After resting a couple of days (I'm still trying to remember how sleep works    ) I will look at all these requests and figure out if and how I can implement them.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on February 28, 2020, 09:12:49 PM
After resting a couple of days (I'm still trying to remember how sleep works    ) I will look at all these requests and figure out if and how I can implement them.

Good plan! Sleep is definitely not overrated.
John

mastodon

Does anybody managed to make a workaround for merging people?

Tveloso

+1

It would be nice to be able to Control-Click all the faces that are actually the same person (but have been "separated" into separate Person Records), and then have a command to Merge them into a single Person record.  Perhaps the Focused Person, could be the one the files are "moved into" (and the other now "empty" Person records could then be deleted by the Merge operation).

Quote from: mastodon on March 09, 2020, 06:21:21 PM
Does anybody managed to make a workaround for merging people?
I had just two instances of needing to Merge People after migrating my Database to IMatch2020, and I was able to "merge" the images from the incorrect person, into the correct one, and then deleted the "empty" person record.  This is not much of a work-around though, if there are lots of files associated with each person record.

In my case I had two pairs of person records for the same person, where one had a trailing space in the Tag Name - and that one had only 3 or 4 files associated with it, so it was easy to re-assign to the other person of the pair in the Viewer.  But an automated Merge operation would definitely be a benefit if we must do that for a pair of (or more) persons that all contain lots of files.

This would definitely have helped me recover from the issue discussed in this Bug Report:

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=9909.0

--Tony

Mario

A "Merge People" feature has been added to the next release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator