New user: Advice on a setup for running Imatch anywhere

Started by timlt, February 12, 2020, 09:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timlt

Hi, new user here running the trial.  Thanks to Mario for first rate support, as I had a couple of setup questions.

Can anyone comment or advise on the following general strategy I plan to use for hosting Imatch Anywhere on a wired home network?   
(Note:  I have reviewed the initial docs and recommendations on database location, setup details). 

Here's what I'm thinking to try:
* Use a dedicated Intel Nuc i5 device running Win10 x64, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, as a dedicated 'always on' device for hosting the database, the cache, and Imatch Anywhere web server.
* The indexed photo files, and all other indexed files, will live on a WD 'red' drive that is in another PC on the network.  That is the sole location for indexed files.
* I will probably at some point open up my router so that I can access the web version on the Internet when I'm not at home. 
* An additional question I had:  If I open up the web server to Internet access, can the Imatch Windows client connect to it when I am out and away from home?  Or will I only be able to use the web client and "view only" mode?

Thanks.

Mario

QuoteI will probably at some point open up my router so that I can access the web version on the Internet when I'm not at home. 

Be very careful when you do that.
Today, port scans by malicious software are common and you can be sure that your PC is scanned for "open" ports frequently. Bad people try to get in and abuse your PC for bad purposes.
Your firewall usually blocks all access from the outside - for VERY good reasons. If you open a port, this protection is gone.
Use a VPN to connect from the outside to your PC in a safe way. Or a hardened remote proxy. See the corresponding information in the IMatch Anywhere documentation.

QuoteThe indexed photo files, and all other indexed files, will live on a WD 'red' drive that is in another PC on the network.

Make sure you read the section about configuring the user under which IMatch Anywhere WebServices runs. By default, IMWS runs under the "LocalService" account and has no access to files on other computers.

QuoteAn additional question I had:  If I open up the web server to Internet access, can the Imatch Windows client connect to it when I am out and away from home? 

IMatch for Windows does not connect to IMatch Anywhere WebServices.
Your the IMatch WebViewer included in IMatch Anywhere to access your database remotely.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook