A question about Timeline and Scope

Started by RogueMD, December 12, 2019, 07:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RogueMD

I am new to IM, only a week and the last 48 hrs with full program and loading real files.

I am using for photographs.

One problem I have is that since all photos prior to the digital cameras were scanned I have a number of EXIF dates which have been applied to the files by other programs and other collaborators and some (many) are not correct. I don't expect the accurate date of the event, but I would say 12/25/55 for Christmas and 7/1/56 for summer time photos or trips where we know the dates of the trip. These files with the made up EXIF dates were then put into folders ( 1955, 1956 and so on) by year.

What I am trying to accomplish is go to a folder, and use the timeline to examine that all the EXIF dates in that folder are at least matching the folder, so all pictures in the 1955 folder have EXIF date 1955. However, as I read and see, the Timeline is the entire database, not "scope limited to the folder".

Perhaps there is a better way to try and approach this, so that I can get to the same final result of confirming the range of EXIF dates in the folder are the correct year ? and of course if the EXIF date is correct, but the item in the wrong folder to move it, or correct the EXIF date to match the folder.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Dennis.

Mario

I'm not exactly sure what you are trying to achieve here.

Yes, the Timeline considers all files in your database. It does not work with specific folders.
If you click on June 2019, you see all photos taken in that month.

What could be helpful:

A)  Sort the files by date and time using the corresponding Sort Profile. Or, maybe create one that uses a specific date and time tag you want to sort after. Quick to see if a file is outside the range (for small numbers of files).

B)  Use the Date Filter in the Filter Panel to set a date range (for example, 1 to 31. June 2019). This limits the current scope (a folder, or any number of folders) to only the files within that date range. If you use the invert option in the date filter, the File Window only shows files not within that date range. And these are the files for which you need to correct the dates.

You can use the created/date subject created tags in the Metadata Panel to set the date as needed. The timeline uses these dates and IMatch too. When you write back, IMatch updates the XMP data in your files and also the corresponding EXIF date and time tags.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

RogueMD

Understood.

I think the Filter and Invert Filter option will get me to the final result. I will work on this tonight and report back if I need any other assistance.

Again, thank you for this.

Dennis Linden.