Exporting original jpeg version

Started by deezze, November 14, 2019, 01:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deezze

Hi,

maybe just a newbie question:
I'm working with raw files and external developed jpgs.
The jpgs are organized as stacks (versions) from raw with attribute "as visual" and "for conversion".
How can I export these jpegs without any picture processing, only changing some metadata?

I tried batch processor with following values
output format: jpeg
qualitiy: 100%
use cache image: on (in this case it takes the version file?)
resize:  don't
All other functions: nothing
The result is a jpg file with double file-size compard to original stacked jpg version.

Do I anything wrong?

Mario

You don't need to export these files from IMatch. IMatch does not move your files into the database or anything.
The original files are always available and accessible on your hard disk.

Do you want to open your JPEG files in another application? Just use drag and drop or Ctrl+O or the drop-down menu in the file window.
If you want to copy your JPEG files to another disk or USB stick, use drag and drop from IMatch to Windows Explorer, or Copy and Paste.

See Opening Files in Other Applications in the IMatch Help.

PS.: Using 100% quality in the batch processor will indeed produce a very large file. The typical quality factor is something like 70% to 80%.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

deezze

Ah, ok. Drag+Drop was to easy.  :)

Only one thing: In this case I have no otion which metadata will be copied?

Mario

Quote from: deezze on November 14, 2019, 03:52:17 PM
Ah, ok. Drag+Drop was to easy.  :)

Only one thing: In this case I have no otion which metadata will be copied?

No. You are copying the original file as-is. IMatch is not involved in the copy process.
To create a new file with different metadata, use the Batch Processor or one of the other features in IMatch which allow you to strip/copy metadata between files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

johnnyB

Actually I had a similar goal of exporting a file window - consisting of a search result over many folders - with the original files unchanged. And I noticed the increase in size, although "Don't resize" was specified.

The beauty for me is that IMatch - in an Export where files are reformatted / changed in size - also mirrors the source folder structure of the file window to a given new location.

But having this structure would also be very helpful for a straight "Don't resize (and don't change) files" type of export - which a simple drag and drop does not provide.

Mario

"Don't resize" just means "Use the same size as the original / input cache" image. This does not change the batch processor into a file copy tool.

Feel free to add a feature request in the appropriate board.

The Batch Processor is for batch-processing files, format conversions, resizing, adding overlays, texts, borders, QR-codes etc.
It's not designed to be a "copy these files to there (and maybe copy some metadata like this)" tool.
This is not something many users need, at least as far as I know.

Write a feature request and other users may chime in and +1 it or add comments.
If there is a sufficient number of users who needs this, I'll look into it for one of the next releases.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Silly Me!

I've just checked the massive list of new features in the IMatch 2020 release and remembered that the Batch Processor has been enhanced to include a new "copy original file unmodified" feature. When enabled, all image processing and conversion is disabled, and only the output folder/file name settings and metadata settings remain active.

This means users can use the BP to export files unchanged, but use the file naming, folder creating and metadata copying/setting features.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator