Stop Metadata activity

Started by Imageman, October 19, 2019, 04:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imageman

I have a new client who will not allow outreach such as metadata search since our work is 'Company Proprietary'. How do I turn metadata off? -Thanks for your help!

Mario

I don't understand.

What do you mean with "turn Metadata off"? Metadata is embedded in your images files by your camera or software you use.
You want to turn it of where?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Imageman

Thank you Mario!

Here's my understanding of Metadata updates in general using an example.

In my use of the "Plex media server" for instance when a video or other media are added to a collection, Plex goes out to external services to import cover photo's and other information related to the video, then adds it to the media file.

I thought that was happening when I add to an IMatch database when it updates Metadata? This may be an unwarranted assumption on my part.

When the company representative came to my home for a show and tell, she noticed IMatch updating "metadata" for the production line video she supplied, she was concerned.

When I begin to do work for this manufacturer using IMatch, the data base and images become 'Company Confidential', and they are extraordinarily 'Security Conscience', and protective of product information.

Please steer me straight Mario?

By the way the rep was blown away by IMatch functionality as demonstrated with my birding and flower data bases, and my enthusiasm and confidence in IMatch!

Thanks again for your help!  - Robert

Mario

Quoteshe noticed IMatch updating "metadata" for the production line video

She noticed that how and where?
Did the Metadata Panel show a message?
Was IMatch ingesting files and she read something in the IMatch status bar?
Did you trigger a write-back?
...?
The more details you provide, the easier it is for us to help. We cannot see your screen or know what you were doing.
More details, a screen shot (you can attach images to your posts) etc. is often helpful to explain and to avoid guessing.

IMatch makes changes to your files only when you let it write back metadata.
By default, IMatch stores all changes you make in the Metadata Panel, Keyword Panel or elsewhere in the database only.
The file is then marked as having a pending update (pen icon in the File Window).
When you now click the pen (or use one of the commands in the Command menu), IMatch writes back changed metadata to your files and / or XMP sidecar files.

See Metadata Write-back in the IMatch Help System for full details on how IMatch writes metadata.

When you write-back metadata and you have other software 'monitoring' the files (like your media server), it may need to update internal states, re-import the file and maybe even go out into the Internet and pull down cover data, lyrics or whatever. This has nothing to do with IMatch.

IMatch only writes metadata to the actual file when you trigger this, or the write back is caused implicitly, for example when you manually propagate metadata from masters to versions.
IMatch does not send your files into a cloud or whatever security concern your client has.
It uses cloud services for the map panel or reverse geo-coding, but this only transfers the GPS coordinates into the cloud, not your files.

QuoteBy the way the rep was blown away by IMatch functionality as demonstrated with my birding and flower data bases, and my enthusiasm and confidence in IMatch!

Thank you. Most kind.
This is the typical reaction of users seeing for the first time what a proper DAM can do  ;D
Spread the word.

Ps: Just wait for IMatch 2020. This will blow the socks of of people... ;)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook