Prefs: Ask for confirmation [or not] before deleting images

Started by JLGF1, October 10, 2019, 04:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLGF1

Could we please have this as a preference?

If this defaults to [on] it should have zero effect on existing users, afaik.

Mario

I can do that. But why?
IMatch asks before deleting files or performing other, potentially harmful, operations. This is for user's protection. For very good reasons.
Why don't you just <Del> the files to reject them and later, when convenient, delete them using Commands > Delete Rejected Files?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

I think this might be the Photo Supreme preferences box and NOT Imatch... :P   You might want to check over at the Idimager boards for help with this option.  Good luck...

Mario

My guess what that JLGF1 wants me to add a similar option to IMatch...?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on October 10, 2019, 02:10:34 PM
My guess what that JLGF1 wants me to add a similar option to IMatch...?

*Shakes head in shame*... I suspect you are 100% correct Mario...

JLGF1

Quote from: Mario on October 10, 2019, 08:24:58 AM
I can do that. But why?
IMatch asks before deleting files or performing other, potentially harmful, operations. This is for user's protection.

I am baffled by the insistence of protecting me from something that I don't need protection from.

Furthermore, when I have given numerous application examples where the developer lets the user decide if they want this protection or not.  Isn't that why they call it Preferences?

I would list all the apps that have file-deletion-prompt as configurable, but it appears to be a futile effort.  And, yes, I am aware of the potential buddy-file groups.

And yes, Jingo, I do know what App I am referring to.  The point you missed was the fact that it is configurable the way the user prefers it, not the developer.

JLGF1

Quote from: Mario on October 10, 2019, 08:24:58 AM
Why don't you just <Del> the files to reject them and later, when convenient, delete them using Commands > Delete Rejected Files?

Because sometimes things might get out of sync during the flagging operations?

Mario

Let's see how many other users would like to see this enhancement.
I can implement it if this would be beneficial for other users, too.

Did you know that you can attach up to 5 files in one post? This makes post better readable than adding several posts with just one image attachment each.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

loweskid

JFLG1 - you have already posted a feature request for this back in March last year - https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=7795.0

It's had well over a thousand views but no comments in support so I doubt there is much demand for it.  However, if you really must have this feature I suggest a programmable keypad in which you could program in the key sequence <CTRL>+<DEL><ENTER> which will give you the 'delete without prompt' with a single key press (I've just tried it - it works).  I use a Cherry ML4700USB - I have lots of keyboard shortcuts programmed into it, not only for IMatch.

JLGF1

There may not be much, if any, demand for this because obviously most people don't care (I do).  Furthermore, the preference option should be fairly trivial for the developer and, if defaulted to prompt [ie on], would have zero effect on other users.  And since I did post non-debatable evidence that the flag/do-it-later model can (and did) fail it would seem worthy of consideration (apparently, this doesn't happen very often so that is good; that bug may no longer even be present).  Otherwise without this preference option, for me, no sale (that's why I'm back a year later and I've been using other software in the interim).

Thanks for your work-around suggestion however, but that's really a kludge that I shouldn't have to deal with and I have provided concrete examples of why that is the case.  It's not like I'm asking for the entire UI to be redesigned.