Metadata Copy from image to image misses some Location info

Started by Jingo, October 08, 2019, 07:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jingo

Hi Mario - just curious about something... so, I have some images that I took on a recent trip with my mobile phone and this had GPS info which I used to reverse geolocate and fill in the City, Location, ISO country code, etc.  I also have hundreds of images from my camera that unfortunately does NOT have GPS.  So, I did a Copy and Paste (Shift-Ctrl-V) to copy the metadata from the mobile image to selected camera images.  I checked off: Location,  Location Shown, GPS Coordinations, GPS Shown/Destination Coords and XMP GPS data.  This copied the majority of fields.. but I noticed the ISO Country Code is not copied.  Should this field be included?  Also, is there a way to include "other" individual fields in the copy (or is this a good idea for an APP....)?

Thx - Andy.

Mario

To which namespace does ISO Country Code belong? Do you mean the one in XMP::iptcCore? Did you copy XMP IPTC data, too?

Tip: You can see the data / groups copied in the ExifTool output panel.
Copying mixed metadata between files can cause all kinds of side-effects which are not under my control.
There are interdependencies between metadata standards and groups, isses when copying only EXIF or only XMP GPS data etc.

Why not just copy the EXIF GPS coordinates and let IMatch do a reverse geocoding?
This fills the XMP and EXIF GPS data properly.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

hluxem

Hello Andy,

I do copy GPS data quite often and found it easiest to just copy and paste the data from the meta data panel. I created several custom panels showing the data I want to copy. Then I use the copy and paste panel content icons on top of the window. Only tags shown are copied.

Heiner

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on October 08, 2019, 08:27:48 PM
To which namespace does ISO Country Code belong? Do you mean the one in XMP::iptcCore? Did you copy XMP IPTC data, too?

Tip: You can see the data / groups copied in the ExifTool output panel.
Copying mixed metadata between files can cause all kinds of side-effects which are not under my control.
There are interdependencies between metadata standards and groups, isses when copying only EXIF or only XMP GPS data etc.

Why not just copy the EXIF GPS coordinates and let IMatch do a reverse geocoding?
This fills the XMP and EXIF GPS data properly.

Thx Mario - yes.. .looks like ISO Country Code is part of XMP::iptcCore so that is why it didn't copy....  I was trying to avoid hits on the reverse geo since I happen to know the exact details from another image that already was reversed Geo'd...  I know you have some code in place to reduce requests.. but I'm not sure how that comes into play with say 100 images that al have the same GPS coords.. does that only mean a single hit on the server or 100 hits still?

QuoteHello Andy,
I do copy GPS data quite often and found it easiest to just copy and paste the data from the meta data panel. I created several custom panels showing the data I want to copy. Then I use the copy and paste panel content icons on top of the window. Only tags shown are copied.
Heiner

And... I learn something new!  I didn't realize you could copy/paste from the metadata panel like that.... I can create a view and use that.. actually much easier because I can include other items such as descriptions and title and bypass the checkboxes on the paste attribute and data panel.... thx Heiner!!

Mario

Quote from: Jingo on October 08, 2019, 11:56:22 PM
And... I learn something new!  I didn't realize you could copy/paste from the metadata panel like that....

See The Metadata Panel toolbar and tips for copying metadata in the IMatch help.

This is actually a very powerful feature to copy metadata between one or more files, with fine control over what is copied.

The above help topic may also reveal some other powerful features of the Metadata Panel you have missed so far...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

Related to this: one of the features of IMatch 2020 is a new app named "Did You Know?".

I have learned that many users don't read the help system. Or only as much of it as absolutely needed to get something working or to solve a problem.
That's just how it is, but it often means that users miss features which could improve their workflow, save them lots of time and trouble.

The "Did You Know?" app contains a growing set of short tips and hints, explaining less frequently used or less obvious features of IMatch. Answering simple questions like "How to copy metadata between files" or "Do you know about Favorites and secondary actions...?".

Currently I have written about 70 (!) DYK topics. Every time I learn about features easily overlooked by users or about a way to improve peoples workflow, I'll add a new topic to the DYK app.
My hope is that, if people don't read the help, they at least occasionally read a few short topics in the DYK app.

The DYK app (optionally) comes up when IMatch starts (unless you immediately run a command or work with the File Window). It also pops up when IMatch displays the overlay while processing large batches of files. And you can run the app anytime from the Help menu or the App Manager.

This is how the "Did You Know?" app looks:
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

sinus

That "Did You Know" is cool.

I can show the next DYK - tip, with the arrow, I think.

Question:
if I am interested into all tips, from e.g. Categories or keywords, can I see somewhere only tips from there? (a kind of groups of tips for specific themes).
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on October 09, 2019, 09:34:41 AM
Quote from: Jingo on October 08, 2019, 11:56:22 PM
And... I learn something new!  I didn't realize you could copy/paste from the metadata panel like that....

See The Metadata Panel toolbar and tips for copying metadata in the IMatch help.

This is actually a very powerful feature to copy metadata between one or more files, with fine control over what is copied.

The above help topic may also reveal some other powerful features of the Metadata Panel you have missed so far...

Thx Mario - I am one of those users that actually DO read your fine help module... but when I searched for "copy" - the "copy attributes between files" fired up before the "Metadata Panel" so that is what I chose.  There are so many ways to get to the end result in IM that it can get complicated... one method might be better than another but multiple actions can get you a result.  The Metadata Panel IS quite powerful indeed!!

Mario

Quote from: sinus on October 09, 2019, 11:31:12 AM
if I am interested into all tips, from e.g. Categories or keywords, can I see somewhere only tips from there? (a kind of groups of tips for specific themes).

There is a table of contents which lists all topics, and also a search function.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator