Which codec do you recommend for ingesting PDF files?

Started by thrinn, September 23, 2013, 06:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thrinn

I would like to (mis-) use IMatch to also handle some documents which are not images. Especially PDF files. Unfortunately, ingesting PDF files takes ages. Most of the time is spent creating the preview image.

Mind, I don't blame IMatch for that, reason being:
Quote from: Mario on September 20, 2013, 09:42:43 AM
When IMatch indexes PDF files, it first checks if a WIC codec for PDF files is available. If not it falls back to utilizing a service in Windows which can generate thumbnails for certain formats. For PDF files, this service uses the installed Adobe Acrobat component. And I have seen this component to require a gigabyte of memory just to produce the thumbnail for one PDF file...
Well, Mario, I can easily top that: More than 3GB of memory usage! It is very fortunate that Adobe Reader is an 32bit application and therefore restricted to less than 4 GB of memory usage  :-\.
I should mention that the PDF files in question have only 1-2 MB. What a programmer has to do to blow that up to 3GB is above my knowledge.

But back to my initial question: Can anyone recommend some WIC codec (or other solution) to speed the ingesting of PDF file up?
Regards,
Thorsten

[attachment deleted by admin]
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

Mario

Now, that's a new one. I also wonder what Adobe is doing. 3 GB RAM to produce a thumbnail for a 2 MB PDF...
I wonder what they are doing...

The only PDF WIC codec I know so far is the one included in the FastPictureViewer codec pack. I cannot tell if and how good is is or how it handles your files. If you want, you can send me one of your PDFs and I'll give it a run.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

thrinn

Hi Mario,
thanks you for your offer. But I see that the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack is available as a time-limited trial version. I will install it and give it a try.

Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

meyersoft

I am running into the same thumbnail speed problems.
What is your experience with the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack?
Is it really much faster?