Locations retrieved by Reverse Geocoding to be added to Thesaurus?

Started by lbo, August 19, 2019, 04:48:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lbo

Hi all,

should Locations retrieved by Reverse Geocoding be added to the Thesaurus?

I would consider this useful, because I can use the cities, countries, sublocations... also for manual geotagging.

Other opinions?

Oliver

Mario

You can add anything you want to the thesaurus directly from the Metadata Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lbo

So to add findings from reverse geocoding to the thesaurus, I need to enter each edit field (after the reverse lookup) and press F6.

I'll try to remember this.

Mario

Note that the texts stored in the thesaurus for a tag are not linked to other tags.
Even if you store entries for country, city, location in the thesaurus, picking one of the them will not fill other tags in the MD panel.

I recommend looking into Metadata Templates (for arbitrary tags) or the IMatch Locations feature to fill in coordinates and location data manually or via MD Templates.

This feature has been designed exactly for the purpose you probably planning to use the thesaurus for.
It offers additional capabilities like automatically assigning keywords when applying the location etc.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

lbo

Initially, I mixed up "Edit History" and "Thesaurus", and maybe "History" would be better suited for a portion of my needs. I don't want to blow up my "locations" or thesarus with short-lived entries:

Usually, I wont use certain locations/sublocations over a longer period but it might be that several groups of images of one campaign (spanning a few days) get the same location/sublocation. One could argue "sort them before geocoding" but it's not that easy.

I often need Province/State, but these are just a few and easily added to the Thesaurus or History for long term use.

The urban districts of Munich might be candidates for "Locations" but their borders are complex so I usually prefer a Google lookup.

Never mind, I find the right method with the tools provided by IMatch.

Thanks for the hints,

Oliver