Any ability to geofence metadata on export?

Started by Bluetopia, August 12, 2019, 10:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bluetopia

I'm in the process of evaluating iMatch as a replacement DAM for Lightroom and one of the features that they provided that I liked was the ability to set up geofence zones where any image that was exported containing a GPS location within those zones would be excluded from the export.   Helped ensure that images uploaded to the internet didn't end up pointing out locations that I'd rather not disclose.

I was wondering if iMatch had a similar feature, either in the application itself (I haven't found it yet) or if there was an add-on that someone has created to do this. 

Thanks,

Bluetopia

Mario

IMatch is not a RAW processor and has no "export" features.
Do you want to use the Batch Processor to export images, perhaps? This is not the same as processing and then exporting images in a RAW processor, mind.

Tip: If you setup some Locations in the Map Panel you can use them for filtering in the Filter Panel. This could be considered setting up geofencing filters.

I had never a request to filter files when using the Batch Processor by their GPS location. I doubt this will be useful for many.
The Batch Processor does not copy metadata by default. If you don't enable GPS coordinates explicitly, the output files won't have the data embedded.

Lr has embedded or 3rd-party upload/publishing features for things like FaceBook, Twitter, Insta and other photo gallery web sites.
Uploading files to these services may cause severe privacy and legal issues so filtering files out with face data, GPS data or other private data is important.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Bluetopia

The idea (which I have not yet had the time to try out yet) was to either strip geolocation data from Full-sized processed JPGs via the Batch Processor or to not send the metadata to the external RAW processor in the first place. (Though given that a lot of this is done via XMP which is used between programs, I'm not sure how viable that is)

It looks like I might have the ability to not send GPS data as a whole via the Batch Processor, but what I really want is to be selective with which images end up GPS tagged based on location.

Worst case I get to exercise my programming chops and create a filter utility that lets me strip out this information automatically via ExifTool or similar, but if it was something available I figured I'd ask.

JohnZeman

I don't know if this would be of any help for what you want to do but for what it's worth when I'm going to upload some images to the internet I'll first use the IMatch batch processor to resize them to the size I want.  Then afterwards I'll use the IMatch ExifTool Command Processor to remove the metadata I don't want in those images.

Both operations are quick and easy to do.

Mario

Another way would be to setup two Batch Processor Presets.
One which copies selected metadata, and one which does not copy any metadata into the output files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Bluetopia

Quote from: JohnZeman on August 13, 2019, 02:57:04 PM
I don't know if this would be of any help for what you want to do but for what it's worth when I'm going to upload some images to the internet I'll first use the IMatch batch processor to resize them to the size I want.  Then afterwards I'll use the IMatch ExifTool Command Processor to remove the metadata I don't want in those images.

Both operations are quick and easy to do.

That's good to note; there's an internal ExifTool Processor.  So really, the only thing I'm missing is the ability to select GPS points and specify a range around them for filtering. 

I can get GPS data through an App using the /files endpoint.  If necessary I can hard-code geofence points in the app.  I'd need to figure out how to calculate a reasonable range around them, but it's just a matter of figuring out scale between decimal GPS and meters for fenced areas.  I'm sure it's somewhere on the internet.

So with that being said, is there any way to trigger the ExifTool and Batch processor from within an App?

ubacher

Look at the GPS filter. There you can filter based on distance. (I myself have never tried this)
There is no INVERT option so if you need to exclude the files inside the fence you need to bookmark them and then filter out bookmarked files.

(Filter panel: configure to show the GPS options)

Mario

1. Use Locations (Map Panel)
2. The GPS filter has no explicit invert, but you can of course invert the entire Filter Panel.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

ubacher

I just tried this filtering around a certain location:
(Several files with very similar GPS data in the folder)

Using Map panel: Select one file - select a radius - search in current folder - nothing
(I expected a result panel would open)

Using filter: nothing found

Am I doing something wrong? The files all have GPS location and show it on the map.

Mario

When you search in the Map Panel:

1. Search in the active file window => Selects all files found.
Just tried and it works here.

2. Search entire database => Opens all files found in a separate result window.
Just tried and it works here.

Regarding the GPS filter. A bug was found (caused when adding the support for created/destination coordinates) and fixed already.
See the Release Notes for all changes and bug fixes for the next release.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator