ExifTool update

Started by jch2103, June 14, 2019, 10:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

Is there a simple way to update the ExifTool installation for IMatch? I thought I'd seen something about this on the forum sometime in the past, but I couldn't locate it.

This concerns the recent ExifTool fix for a problem introduced in a prior version that scrambled latitude/longitude signs. I know the next IM version will include the fix, but I have some time at the moment to repair the affected images. However, I don't want to mess up the finely tuned procedures Mario has implemented for ExifTool updates. If updating ET is too complicated, I'll wait for the next IM update.
John

Mario

You would need to replace the exiftool.exe file in the IMatch program folder, and all config and args files if they have changed since the version IMatch 2019.5.2 includes.

The executable is in the "Windows Executable" download from https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/
The argument and config files are part of the full ExifTool download (the .gz file right at the top).

I did not check, but usually the config and argument files change only rarely so you should get away with just replacing the executable.
After unpacking you will have a file named exiftool(-k).exe. Rename it to exiftool.exe and copy it into the IMatch program files folder, replacing  the existing exiftool.exe.

I'm already working on the next update, but there are several open issues which need to be closed before I can ship. May take a couple of days, depending on how fast I can solve these issues.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Thank you. I only had to update the exiftool.exe file; there weren't any changes in the config and args folders.

When I restarted IM, I had a crash, but after restarting everything worked OK. Not sure what that was about; I have the dump file if you want it, but it looks like a one-time event.

My images are now all happy to all be in the correct hemisphere...
John