Using IMATCH 2019 to classify non-images

Started by nacho02, May 27, 2019, 08:17:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nacho02

Hello everyone,

I'm a long-time user of IMATCH, and the other day I found myself suggesting someone who wants to create a classification structure for medical devices, supplies and other products to actually use IM 2019 to create the structure.

This person was about to create the classification structure in Excel and I though that that would be a nightmare.

The reason for me to suggest this was that with IM you can visualize the structure, and when the time comes, export it. You can move branches back and forth and it's just easy to use.

At the same time I am fully aware that there have to be better options for doing something like this (so if any of you can come up with ideas, happy to hear them!) and I'm not currrently sure how to import the current category export files into other applications (such as Excel or using CSV formats) in case someone needs to use them outside of IM.

I think earlier versions of IM could export categories as text (older scripts such as "Export Categories to text file for printing"), and produce imcs files that looked like this:

Familia;;;;0;FFFFFFFF;;;0;0;0
Familia.Aulde;;;FF80FF;1;FFFFFFFF;;;0;0;0
Familia.Aulde.Chantal;;;;0;FFFFFFFF;;;0;0;0
Familia.Aulde.Chantal.Anne;;;;0;FFFFFFFF;;;0;0;0
Familia.Aulde.Chantal.Anne.David;;;;0;FFFFFFFF;;;0;0;0
Familia.Aulde.Chantal.Anne.Jules;;;;0;FFFFFFFF;;;0;0;0

I'be be happy to have any ideas how to either use IM for this of suggestions in any other direction :-)

Thanks in advance!

Ignacio
Ignacio

Mario

Since IMatch 5 (many years ago) the standard import/export format for categories is XML-based.
Categories have learned a lot since IMatch 3.x and all that formula, data-driven, colors etc. business was better handled in XML.

You can export categories per-file as text using the Text Exporter, though.
IMatch 2019 can still import the old IMatch 3.x category format via the Category Import module.

For building and changing hierarchical structures, IMatch is the best tool there is. You can move and copy category sections with drag and drop, rename them, use Alias categories to link the same categories into different sections of your tree without duplicating data and more.

QuoteI am fully aware that there have to be better options for doing something like this

The Category View is quite a sophisticated hierarchical editor already. There is little else other, external, software could do...
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

nacho02

Quote from: Mario on May 27, 2019, 08:37:40 PM

QuoteI am fully aware that there have to be better options for doing something like this

The Category View is quite a sophisticated hierarchical editor already. There is little else other, external, software could do...

Mario.Thanks. I was referring to the categorization of non-image files... for images, I fully agree.

Thanks.
Ignacio

jch2103

Quote from: nacho02 on May 27, 2019, 08:17:34 PM
I'm a long-time user of IMATCH, and the other day I found myself suggesting someone who wants to create a classification structure for medical devices, supplies and other products to actually use IM 2019 to create the structure.

This person was about to create the classification structure in Excel and I though that that would be a nightmare.

Excel would indeed be a nightmare. The 'proper' solution for this kind of problem is a relational database. The Microsoft answer to this would be Access. You're also correct about IMatch, as it uses a relational database to organize photos and other data. Which of these (or other solutions, including non-Microsoft relational databases) is most suitable will depend on specific needs and the level/type of technical support available.

John

Mario

Quote from: nacho02 on May 27, 2019, 10:55:41 PM

Mario.Thanks. I was referring to the categorization of non-image files... for images, I fully agree.

Thanks.

IMatch manages non-image files (PDF, video, audio, Office, text, ...) in the same way it manages images.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook