Face detection

Started by frlindla, May 17, 2019, 11:00:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frlindla

I am trying to find out all the ways that Imatch can help me to organize my photos automatically  One of the ways could be to detect faces.

I have read about Google Photo that have amazing features here. It scans all your photos and automatically finds faces! And it finds places, what you were doing etc. Can Imatch do the same things as google photo? Or is it right that I can use Google Photo and Imatch will detect the changes I have done? There are limitations though. Only up to 16 mp photos and 1080 p for videos.

It`s interesting if google and Imatch work good together.

Mario

Google provides Photos for one main reason: To get your images and to feed their AIs with information about the people you know, the people these people know etc.
The other features (like detection a place on an image) provided by the Google AI allows Google to learn where you have been, which places you visit, where you live, what your house looks from the inside, which car you drive, which clothes you wear etc.

Gathering this information and selling it is the main reason for Google to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to invent this technology (the same is true for Facebook, Microsoft, Amazon etc.).
That they offer these services "for free" in Google Photos (or similar apps) is just to make people feed more data in the Google AI.
Always consider this, and also the European GDPR laws (if you live in Europe or if your images include photos of people living in Europe) before sending private data to the Google AI.
It may be (is) illegal in Europe (for very good reasons) to upload photos of people to the Google or FB AI for face recognition without their written consent. Or of their parents, for minors. Keep that in mind.

If you use Google Photos and stores the detected faces in standard XMP face regions, IMatch will pick them up.
If you let Google analyze your photos for places and content , let Photos store the findings as keywords. IMatch then picks the data up automatically.

I have tested feature detection and automatic classification for IMatch a while ago, using services provided by Google, Microsoft, Amazon, imagga and Clarifai.
The results are mixed, with many false positives.
And if you always have to check that your fabulous Google AI did not miss keywords or assigned the wrong keywords afterwards anyway, you are usually as fast and 100% correct when doing it yourself with the awesome features IMatch provides for this purpose.

The results of my analysis are published and available on my web site: Computer Vision in IMatch - Initial Results

All services require to upload your photos to their AIs, and in their privacy statements they claim the rights to keep copies of your photos to further improve their services (which can mean a lot, including selling data gathered about you from your photos). At the time of writing my above article, only imagga did not retain copies of your images after analyzing them. But privacy statements change often, sometimes every month. I did not try to keep up with this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Just a side note: You can still download Google Picasa (no longer supported by Google, as part of their transition to the cloud as referenced above by Mario) and use it do do purely local face recognition, store that locally and pull that data into IMatch. Works reasonably well after some training (although certainly not perfectly) and avoids sending your data to Google if properly configured.
John

mastodon

I use this workflow too. Is there any better way without sending to anyone our photos?

frlindla

I live in Norway and don`t have all options, for example face recognition. Do you know how to enable this?

jch2103

Quote from: frlindla on May 19, 2019, 12:17:55 AM
I live in Norway and don`t have all options, for example face recognition. Do you know how to enable this?
In IMatch or in Picasa? See the IM Help: https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#anno_basics.htm
John

frlindla

Imatch has no automatic detection of faces as far as I can see. So is there av way to activate it in Google Photos (Google Picasa)?

Mario

IMatch has automatic face detection (where are faces in the image?) but no face recognition (who is this person).

As always: The IMatch Help System is your friend:

See https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#anno_basics.htm#a_face

Google Picasa is an abandoned product. Since Google cannot get your data when you use Picasa on your desktop, they have abandoned it and force people to use Google Photo (where they can get at your data). As said above, Picasa is still available for download somewhere. Only use official Google sources (!). There are some shady download sizes which offer Picasa for download, but it comes bundled with malware.

Google Picasa can save face regions into the XMP metadata (you need to configure that) and IMatch can then read the faces automatically.
If you search photools.com for the word Picasa you quickly find a knowledge base article which explains that:

Using Google Picasa Face Tags in IMatch

Also works for Adobe Lightroom Desktop.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook