Remarks row in Layout Editor

Started by Aubrey, February 28, 2019, 08:36:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

As we become more proficient with the layout editor many of us "tweak" a particular layout.
My layouts are
Aubrey_v4
Aubrey_v5
etc.
Obviously the latest version has been created from the previous one.
It would be nice to have a remarks column to be able to type in a few words to explain to oneself what was changed from the previous version.

Not urgent but another, nice to have feature!

Aubrey.

Mario

Which kind of layout are you referring to?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on February 28, 2019, 11:07:49 AM
Which kind of layout are you referring to?

I was referring to the layout editor of the File Window.
Attached is a copy of the modification window.

Aubrey.

Jingo

+1 - though this is why I try to name the layouts as a description  ie: Master    or   Keywords+   or    Location  ... that way, I can get a good idea of what the main display data will be.

JohnZeman

Mario

I'm not sure what kind of information you want to record there...
Just a simple text property, which only shows in the layout editor (at the top)?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on February 28, 2019, 03:00:40 PM
I'm not sure what kind of information you want to record there...
Just a simple text property, which only shows in the layout editor (at the top)?

My thought was simply a text area as an aide-memoire as to what was done, and why. Nothing needs to show on day-to-day work, simply next time one enters the complex edit layout and wants to make a change one can be reminded of what one did before.

For example today I found for some reason that using
{File.MD.Exif::Main\36867\DateTimeOriginal\0} to find a date was not working for some of my scanned images.
I changed this to:
{File.MD.XMP::xmp\CreateDate\CreateDate\0}

and it appears to work fine for all my images.

Say in a month's time, or longer, I find this doesn't work for some images, then when I look at the remarks, I will have written something like. This will be useful, at least I know what I had before...

"Changed date to using {File.MD.XMP::xmp\CreateDate\CreateDate\0}, as there were issues with using {File.MD.Exif::Main\36867\DateTimeOriginal\0} for some scanned photos - don't know why, didn't investigate, but this appears to work!"

Quote from: Mario on February 28, 2019, 03:00:40 PM

I hadn't thought about where; at the top is a logical place.

Anyway if it's a lot of work then there are probably higher priorities. Each user might only use it a few times a year. It's been about 2 months since I made changes to my layout.

ubacher

I thought about remarks in the file relations editor for a long time. This post triggers me to put in a feature request for it.

Initially reading this thread I thought it unnecessary to have remarks but your example convinced me that it would indeed be useful.

+1

Mario

Quote from: ubacher on February 28, 2019, 03:38:51 PM
I thought about remarks in the file relations editor for a long time. This post triggers me to put in a feature request for it.

Initially reading this thread I thought it unnecessary to have remarks but your example convinced me that it would indeed be useful.

+1
Please open new FR.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

I have added a Description property to the File Window layout editor:

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Aubrey

Perfect - thank you.

I hope I haven't started a run on "remarks"!  ;)
Aubrey.

Mario

Quote from: Aubrey on February 28, 2019, 04:03:18 PM
Perfect - thank you.

I hope I haven't started a run on "remarks"!  ;)
Aubrey.
Dunno. I like to hear from users what they want. And when a request gets some oomph by several +1, I look closely.

On the other hand, it is not hard to have a "readme.txt" file in a dedicated easy-to-find folder in your database.
if you click on it, the Quick View Panel shows its contents. You can quickly edit it with <Ctrt>+<Enter> etc.

If you want it a bit more fancy and with some formatting, you can use a HTML document. The Quick View Panel can render HTML:

This works great. The info is quick to find, you are basically unlimited in what you record etc. You could even add pictures, screen shots, audio notes, whatever.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Aubrey

Useful for general notes.
I have a similar file for setting up my Linux server...
When I use a useful url
Little tricks...
E. G. How to back up sql database and various database comnands
Setti g up secure html...
Everything is there... But sometimes I have to search as it's not well ordered... Another task one day.

So having a remarks section is useful and structured.

I used to use a commercial software Petrel for geological modeling. It had a little place one could put remarks for aide memoir it was especially useful when doing esoteric things with data. Almost like commenting a program.

jch2103

Thanks, Mario. The advantage of having reminder text where you're currently working is having it immediately available. Keeping a general text file is useful, but can make it (as noted by Aubrey) harder to locate the specific reminder when needed (or easier to forget it's there).
John