Opening Selected files in a result window

Started by Aubrey, February 03, 2019, 09:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aubrey

This is a most useful tip that I found a few weeks ago in the DAM knowledge base:
https://www.photools.com/6615/opening-selected-files-in-a-result-window/

Does this only work by using the command string crtl+G,R ?

Is there somewhere on the current scope, to generate the result window by clicking on a menu item? Today I wanted to use the function, but did not remember the key sequence, this meant I had to look up the tip again.

It appears that this result window remains anchored. It would be nice if result window (labeled "selection[1]") could be unanchored, this would help if one wants to compare visually files in result window and those in the main viewer, or even compare files in 2 different result windows.

Aubrey.

Mario

Right-click to open the context menu. Then Additional Functions > Open selection in Result window...
You cannot 'float' result windows.

Tip: You can easily add any number of files into a temporary category to compare them.
Create a category for this purpose, e.g. COMP.
Create a Favorite for it so you can add selected files quickly via a single click or keyboard shortcut.
Open the category, sort the files as needed etc.

Doing an extra hop over multiple result windows is not really the best way to do this.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Carlo Didier

Quote from: Mario on February 03, 2019, 09:47:18 AM
Right-click to open the context menu. Then Additional Functions > Open selection in Result window...
You cannot 'float' result windows.

Tip: You can easily add any number of files into a temporary category to compare them.
Create a Favorite for it so you can add selected files quickly via a single click or keyboard shortcut.

Doing an extra hop over multiple result windows is not really the best way to do this.

IMHO, the extra temporary category means several extra hops ...

Aubrey

Aha! missed this, I clicked all around the windows but never thought to right click on an image  :-[

good tip, thanks. This will work for me.

Aubrey

Quote from: Carlo Didier on February 03, 2019, 11:01:18 AM

IMHO, the extra temporary category means several extra hops ...

True, but tip will work, though floating window would be easier in my particular case. It's a one off issue I have with a few files. I just wondered if I was missing something and a floating window option existed.

I expect floating windows require a LOT of extra coding.

Aubrey.

Mario

Quote from: Aubrey on February 03, 2019, 11:01:44 AM
Aha! missed this, I clicked all around the windows but never thought to right click on an image  :-[

Context menus (aka right-click menus) are one of the primary features to execute commands in IMatch.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Aubrey

Quote from: Mario on February 03, 2019, 12:49:40 PM
Context menus (aka right-click menus) are one of the primary features to execute commands in IMatch.

I know this, and frequently use it, brain was not functioning and did not think about it in this case!

Mario

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator