Thumbnail Preview For Video Files (Turn Off Frames)

Started by Darius1968, January 16, 2019, 09:36:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

Is there a way to turn off the sequential presentation of frames when hovering the mouse pointer over a video file?  I know that I could change the number of frames at generation to 1, but is there an option to have 3 (or whatever # of) frames recorded, but just have the playback stopped? 

Mario

Why do you want to disable this?
The preview only shows when you hover for more than one second over the thumbnail. This usually does not interfere with anything, not with selecting files or dragging or whatever...

You can disable it via Edit > Preferences > File Window: Animates previews for videos. Just set this to off.

Did you look in these properties before posting? If not, why not?
- Not found in the help?
- No time to lookup the help?
- Not known where to look for File Window settings?
- Not known where to lookup the help for the File Window?

I've checked and it is explained in the File Window help, directly in the Video Files section: Video Files. In the blue box: "You can disable the animated video preview..."
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

"Why do you want to disable this?"
It's fine if I'm moving/copying files, etc.  But I found that if I'm trying to read the data about the file, then the animation can be a distraction. 

Thanks for the answer. 

"Did you look in these properties before posting? If not, why not?"
Yes, I did try to find the answer myself before posting to this forum.  More specifically, I searched both, the help and the support forum, with search terms like "video preview animations", which didn't help me because the forum didn't seem to show me the way (unless I overlooked) and the IMatch help provided this:  "https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#fw_basics.htm", which provides info on the thumbnail animation, but not how to disable it.  In the IMatch Preferences, I search the tabs:  Database & Application, when my answer lay in the Tab "File Window". 

Darius1968

Well, this is interesting, and it's why I had to bother this forum.  I've attached images:  "IE" & "Firefox".  If you study "IE", you'll see that Internet Explorer faithfully allowed the part about the deactivation to be enumerated, whereas Firefox for whatever reason, did not let that bit get through. 

Mario

The help system is updated very often. Sometimes several times a week, which I consider as a great enhancement.
Browsers may cache old content and it sometimes is required to clear the cache manually.
I don't recall adding new content to the FW help topic recently, but I did a revamp some time ago and pushed an update with version 2019.1 I guess.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook