Installer question

Started by jch2103, November 23, 2018, 11:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

I've noticed that most Windows installers create an icon at the 'end' of the icon listings on Windows, including IMatch. But I've also noticed some (e.g., Nikon Capture NX-D) create icons at the 'beginning' of the icon listings (i.e., top left). Does this depend on the particular installer that developers use or on some choice by developers?

Not exactly crucial, but I prefer to have IM toward the top left because I use it so much, and whenever I install an update I need to move it to my preferred location. (This also means that I sometimes need to move icons that get installed by other programs in this same area.)
John

Mario

Frankly, I don't know. Building a Windows installer is now considered a "job", with experts, two-day trainings for 3,000 US$ etc.
I'm satisfied that the installer I've created installs IMatch reliably and safely on all supported Windows platforms. I trust the user to move the icon wherever he wants it or that the user is able to create a task bar or Start menu shortcut himself.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: jch2103 on November 23, 2018, 11:48:36 PM
I've noticed that most Windows installers create an icon at the 'end' of the icon listings on Windows, including IMatch. But I've also noticed some (e.g., Nikon Capture NX-D) create icons at the 'beginning' of the icon listings (i.e., top left). Does this depend on the particular installer that developers use or on some choice by developers?

Not exactly crucial, but I prefer to have IM toward the top left because I use it so much, and whenever I install an update I need to move it to my preferred location. (This also means that I sometimes need to move icons that get installed by other programs in this same area.)

There are programs out there that allow you to create desktop configurations that save the location of icons... and they can be restored at any time.  ReIcon is one I have used in the past... https://www.sordum.org/8366/reicon-v1-9-restore-desktop-icon-layouts

Enjoy!