Destination coordinates marker distance from target marker

Started by jch2103, August 01, 2018, 12:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

The addition of being able to assign destination coordinates is very helpful. As others have noted, this provides functionality that previously required using Geosetter; being able to do this within IMatch can streamline workflow.

One feature request about this: Currently, when one adds a destination coordinates marker, it defaults to being about 40 meters from the origin coordinates icon. Clearly, the default distance between the markers is a compromise, with the ideal distance between depending on map scale. However, in most of the travel-related images where I've used the destination coordinates feature, the default distance is too small; it's necessary to zoom in significantly to be able to select and move the destination marker to a desired location, then zoom back out to make adjustments.

I'd suggest changing the default distance to a larger amount, perhaps 100 meters. What do other users think?
John

lbo

+1

50m can be too near for certain applications, e.g. for aerial photography. My map usually is usually more than 1km wide/high.

Since the goal is to make the marker visible and accessible by the mouse, the distance might be calculated as a fraction of the map width/height, e.g. 30%.

A configurable value could also be useful, either as map width percentage or as absolute value.

In the mean, I patched the value in maputility.js around line 100:

var dlat = lat + 0.005;  // about 550 m to the north

After clearing the browser cache, it works as expected (I know that this is no persistent solution).

Oliver

Mario

I have improved this for the next release.
The distance is now approximately 30% of the area currently displayed on the map (adjusting to zoom level).
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook