Can you store email/license key for the customer portal in your browser?

Started by Mario, July 22, 2018, 06:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

A user just contacted me to inform me that his browsers (FF and Chrome) don't store the email and license key for the customer portal. And that my site would be the only from hundreds of sites he visited with this problem.

Since I manage several sets of credentials for the customer portal (for testing purposes) in FF, Chrome and Edge without problem, I wonder if there are other users out there which have problems with their browsers refusing to store the log-in data for the customer portal.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

Mario

Quote from: Mees Dekker on July 22, 2018, 07:36:05 PM
Same here. I'm using MS Edge as browser

Same here as in "No problem storing the credentials" or "I cannot store the credentials either"?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mees Dekker

thrinn

I generally do not use the browser functionality to store user names and passwords, if this is what you mean. Just for testing, I checked with Firefox and Chrome. I was not asked to store the "password". But "Autofill" worked, that is, EMail and License Key were available in the field based history and suggested for auto completion when starting to type.

I may be wrong, but is the browser password store not triggered by password fields? The license key field is not as password field, isn't it? At least, the contents are visible.
Thorsten
Win 10 / 64, IMatch 2018, IMA

jch2103

Quote from: thrinn on July 22, 2018, 10:33:29 PM
I generally do not use the browser functionality to store user names and passwords, if this is what you mean.
I may be wrong, but is the browser password store not triggered by password fields? The license key field is not as password field, isn't it? At least, the contents are visible.

I use a password manager (Dashlane), so don't use the browser functionality either. In any event, as thrinn notes, the license key field doesn't seem to be a 'password' field; at least Dashlane doesn't recognize it as such even though I have login and license key stored in Dashlane.
John

JohnZeman

I use Chrome, when the customer portal page comes up both fields are blank but as soon as I click in the email field Chrome gives me a list of my different email addresses that I've used for various logins on this and other sites.

When I click in the License Key field Chrome shows me a list of the different license keys I've had for other IMatch versions.

But for the most part, I rely on msecure5 to handle my login needs for any web site.

Mario

If your browser remembers the emails / license keys you have used, everything seems to be OK.

The license key field is not marked as a password field (with *** instead of text) because your license key is not a password, by definition. This may confuse some 3rd party password managers (not license key managers) but not web browsers, which just store and reply the form data.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

firefox here... when I start typing my email address into the username field, it appears below and I select it... the password does not appear automatically but once again, if I enter the first number, it shows underneath in full and I can select it.  Other sites do autofil for me which is convenient.. but often these too need to be renewed from time to time... for example, my icloud account defaults the username - but the password still needs to be typed in... and doesn't offer a save feature for next time.  Think this is something that coded into the site...

mastodon

Mario

Quote from: Jingo on July 22, 2018, 11:39:23 PM
firefox here... when I start typing my email address into the username field, it appears below and I select it... the password does not appear automatically but once again, if I enter the first number, it shows underneath in full and I can select it.  Other sites do autofil for me which is convenient.. but often these too need to be renewed from time to time... for example, my icloud account defaults the username - but the password still needs to be typed in... and doesn't offer a save feature for next time.  Think this is something that coded into the site...

This can happen if you have used more than one email/license key for this form. Your browser does not know which credentials to use and you usually need to click into the input field to make it show a list of stored emails / license keys.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on July 23, 2018, 09:05:34 AM
This can happen if you have used more than one email/license key for this form. Your browser does not know which credentials to use and you usually need to click into the input field to make it show a list of stored emails / license keys.

Yes.. that is possible - though only a single entry shows in each dropdown..  will research this a bit from a browser point of view and see if there is a way to clear / override that.  Not a big deal... so long as I remember that first digit of the license #!   ;D

Mario

I have checked the input form again and as far as I can tell, all requirements for autofill are enabled and set properly.
Except the autofill="current-password", which makes Chrome to refuse saving the license key ... for whatever reason. I tried setting the type to password (instead of text) but then the license key shows up as *** and is still not saved. Browsers sometimes behave odd.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator