GPS Data - Blue Button - How to get that info in a category?

Started by hanswkraus, August 05, 2018, 06:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hanswkraus

Hi,
I'd like to select (or not select) - via a Category entry - all pics which have GPS data available. Those pics have a blue button on the left side, approx. middle, in the file window. But I'm at a loss to get this info via a datadriven category or something like that. For which purpose I will use that: I've bought a GPS receiver (not the Canon one) for my Canon 77D. Unfortunately it's a bit flakey, not every pic gets GPS data when the receiver is in the hot shoe. For these pics I would like to enter the info via geotagging but don't touch the pics which have that info already.
Kind regards & Thanks for help,
Hans

zematima

Hi:
Please see the picture I sent as an attachment.
If this is what you want you already have this category in your IMatch. This category gives you all the files without GPS.
See it under IMatch Workflow Categories.
Best regards,
JRosa

hanswkraus

Thanks,

that raises the next question (:-) How do I get the "IMatch Workflow Categories"? I don't find them in the categories nor do I find them in the online help. I'm still using IMatch 2017.

Regards, Hans

jch2103

Quote from: hanswkraus on August 05, 2018, 07:02:24 PM
Thanks,

that raises the next question (:-) How do I get the "IMatch Workflow Categories"? I don't find them in the categories nor do I find them in the online help. I'm still using IMatch 2017.

Regards, Hans

Open Tools/Import & Export, choose Category Import/Run. You'll get an open file dialog; if it doesn't automatically open to a listing that includes 'workflow', go to  C:\ProgramData\photools.com\imatch6\presets.

One additional thought re GPS: because it can take a while for the GPS to lock on to satellites, it's usually a good idea to leave the GPS/camera on as much as possible when you might want to take a photo. Specifics on lock time depend on the particular hardware, GPS satellite positions, etc.
John

hanswkraus

Thanks, that worked. And thanks to anyone who helped.

I don't think the GPS problem  is related to late finding sats, etc. I turn the receiver on, wait till it reports a 3D-fix and only then I put it in the hot shoe. And the pics with missing GPS info are often embedded into GPSed pic series.

Kind regards, Hans

PaulS

I don't use the IMatch Workflow Categories that John mentioned, so I don't know how they work.  But I do have a data-driven category to find files with GPS and this approach might also be of interest.

In my database (Mario can confirm if this is correct) it seems that the blue and green globe shows only when the XMP EXIF GPS tag is populated.  For JPG files with GPS, IMatch always shows the globe.  However, for MTS and MOV files with GPS data, I have to copy the GPS tags to the XMP EXIF GPS tag to get the globe to show.

I use a data-driven category ("Other|GPS") based on the XMP EXIF GPS latitude tag to find all files with GPS data:

XMP::exif\GPSLatitude\GPSLatitude\0

I also have a formula category to find pics that don't have GPS as follows:

"@All" NOT "Other|GPS"

Mario

IMatch migrates GPS data using the standard Metadata Working Group process. The end up in XMP GPS lat/lon.
if this does not work for your video containers, the problem is that they don't contain EXIF GPS data and hence ExifTool cannot migrate it into XMP.

EXIF is only for images, not video files. I don't know where MOV containers or MTS containers store GPS data. I did not even know that these containers can hold GPS records, and apparently ExifTool is also unable to find the data?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

PaulS

Mario - thanks.  I will start another thread about GPS data in MOV and MTS files.

See here:  https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?topic=8193.0