Testing backups Licensing question

Started by anhomi, May 09, 2018, 05:39:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anhomi

We do scheduled backups of the IMatch database, then duplicate it offsite. Due to our policies, we also do random test restores of various backups, including the IMatch database.

We don't want to do the test restore on the primary IMatch computer (it would interfere with the employee who uses it everyday), so we need the program on a different computer. Would the free trial installation be a valid test? If we install the licensed version (we only have 1 license) on a different computer to test the backup, then uninstall the program once the restore is completed, is that ok? Is there another option I'm missing?

We typically don't test every back up every month. I can see us testing the IMatch backup once every 3-4 months or so.

Thanks for any help. 

Mario

IMatch is licensed per-user. This means that the licensed user is allowed to install IMatch on any number of computers. Many IMatch users have a desktop at home / in the studio and use a notebook while on the road or on-location. This is a user-friendly license and I'm not greedy  ;)

If nobody is actually using IMatch on that other PC, you can use a licensed version of IMatch to check your database backups.

Make sure you keep the two installations in sync (same IMatch version). Newer IMatch versions may upgrade the database and then older versions cannot longer open it. IMatch displays a message in this case and then you have to install the latest version.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

anhomi

Thank you Mario. This is very helpful. We are a nonprofit, so we try to be scrupulous about licensing issues.

No, the 2nd install wouldn't actually be used to do anything but test that the backup can be restored periodically by IT staff, not our IMatch user.

We keep the most recent installer files in a central location for IT staff's convenience so syncing the installation shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I appreciate the quick response and your generosity. :)