copy pasted within winExplorer video folders failing to appear.

Started by Steve01, May 04, 2018, 01:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve01

Hi,
testing adding DVD_RTAV video folders to iMatch ,
see attached story board.

A DVD_RTAV video folder is a package containing .ifo  .bup  and .vro files, double click the vro and it plays. all three files are required.

quickstream fix it and they get fused together and can then be edited. DVD_RAM discs deliver such video files to pc from dvd recorders.

Imatch has vro in its file list I see.

I have drag dropped my folders from G onto a new database window, after first fully updating windows, then reinstalling imatch, excluding the catalog folder in Kaspersky and excluding the exe file also in kasperksy with aid of their tech support .

Test 1. I wish to see what indicators there are of changed folders and what changes to the folder tree occur.

I have two folders, one with pics and all sorts of test files in it, including a DVD_DTAV video folder,
another called:-
'test file cataloging software video files'
with just a single DVD_RTAV video folder in it. This folder I will focus on.

I copy a DVD_RTAV video folder into this test video folder. after some time no second folder appears in the tree.

Copy another across into the folder, this saw the blue icon appear so iMatch was doing something to the recipient folder, however though there are now three video folders in there, its only showing 1 in that video test folder at foot of tree.

why ?

test 2.
T drive, drag drop 12 DVD_RTAV folders which sit at root level into iMatch, they appear.
create a test folder at root level in T drive, create a word doc and save it to the folder. drag drop to imatch, after a slight issue of 'not ready' whatever that was ?...its there.

in win explorer select 10 DVD_RTAV videos and cut paste to this folder.
imatch shows the blue icon on the test folder, so it knows something is changing. I wait, and wait, and there is nothing to be found insode that folder, yet there are ten video folders in there !

Why ?

Steve01

jch2103

In your screenshots, you point to a IMatch folder with a blue bar, but the folder isn't highlighted in blue (which would indicate it's selected). If it's not selected, you won't be able to see anything in it.

Quote from: Steve01 on May 04, 2018, 01:03:32 AM
A DVD_RTAV video folder is a package containing .ifo  .bup  and .vro files, double click the vro and it plays. all three files are required.

Be sure to check 'Tag Manager' in the IMatch Help; by default, IMatch doesn't include all possible file types, but this can be adjusted in Edit/Preferences/Tag Manager.
John

sinus

Did you make a rescan? (Ctrl + Shift + F5)

And checked your preferences?
The place where to do so is like in the attachements.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

As I said in several posts, IMatch does not manage all arbitrary files. It has a list of supported file formats, which you can view under Edit > Preferences > File Formats.
If a folder contains files not in that list, IMatch ignores them. IMatch is not a Windows Explorer replacement, it is a DAM application. You don't manage Acronis backup files, temporary files, leftovers from video processing applications applications or intermediate workflow files in a DAM.

If you want to manage files in your IMatch database not included in the standard 120+ file format list, you can add them as a user-defined format. Read the help here:

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_config_fileformats.htm
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Steve01

Hi,
QuoteJohn,...In your screenshots, you point to a IMatch folder with a blue bar, but the folder isn't highlighted in blue (which would indicate it's selected). If it's not selected, you won't be able to see anything in it.
I had during the process selected the parent test folder but did the screen dump after clicking elsewhere.
attached proof it doesnt display the video folders within when parent clicked on.

QuoteBe sure to check 'Tag Manager' in the IMatch Help; by default, IMatch doesn't include all possible file types, but this can be adjusted in Edit/Preferences/Tag Manager.

I am looking at this metadata2 list under tag manager but haven't a clue on what I need ticked so as to show a video folder containing .bup .ifo and .vob files
Thing is, imatch does show these anyway if they are drag dropped into the imatch folder panel. So if they were not supported how become these folders are visible ?

They are not visible if :-
1. I create a test folder in winexplorer and drag drop that to imatch.
2. select the DVD_RTAV folders and copy paste them to that test folder using windows explorer.

match shows the blue icon momentarily so it knows something has gone into that test folder, but then when test folder opened there is nothingin there.

QuoteSinus
Did you make a rescan? (Ctrl + Shift + F5)

I shall try that.
attached doing so images. and they now show  :)
but as there is no indication on the tree of what folders have seen content added, (blink and you miss the blue icon), would I perform that rescan on the drive letter, or select each and every folder in turn and do so ?
How will I now what to perform the rescan on ?

preferences, attached what they were and what I have done as per your image.

is this now correct ?

QuoteMario..As I said in several posts, IMatch does not manage all arbitrary files. It has a list of supported file formats, which you can view under Edit > Preferences > File Formats.
If a folder contains files not in that list, IMatch ignores them.

but why in that case does iMatch display them successfully  :) when they are drag dropped either as root level folders or sitting within a root level folder, into iMatch ?  but not display them  :( if the steps 1 and 2 above are done in windows explorer ?

then display them  :) when a rescan is done ?

QuoteYou don't manage Acronis backup files, temporary files, leftovers from video processing applications applications or intermediate workflow files in a DAM.

They are not leftovers from video processing apps they are bona fide video folders.  I will be excluding Acronis backups, and try and exclude folders with odds and sods in., stuff I don't need to search on. I was initially after a DAM to replace Extensis Portfolio and WhereIsIt  as it was a real pain having to work two to find a file and keep both up to date on scanning and the other two being trialled deal with any file type but have issues, one doesnt create previews at all, but they can be fed a drive letter.

QuoteIf you want to manage files in your IMatch database not included in the standard 120+ file format list, you can add them as a user-defined format. Read the help here:
I have now added the remaining two file types within them to iMatch, see attached.

Without these two though iMatch does recognise the DVD_RTAV folders, just not initially when moved using windows explorer, and I normally save to root level with the video prog.

Steve01

Mario

QuoteI am looking at this metadata2 list under tag manager but haven't a clue on what I need ticked so as to show a video folder containing .bup .ifo and .vob files

Not Metadata 2. Why are you looking there for file-format related issues.

Please take care to click on the links to the documentation I provide. I gave you the kink to the File Format Configuration where you can (if you really have to) add your own file formats. Here is the link again: https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_config_fileformats.htm

Note that .VOB or .TS are standard formats and automatically indexed by IMatch. .IFO and .BUP files are files only interesting for certain video players, but not for a DAM like IMatch. As I said before, you don't manage all your riff-raff files in a DAM. A DAM is used to maintain your final images and videos, not all intermediate or temporary files, or files only interested for one specific application. Or even all files in your file system. This is not how a DAM is designed to be used.

If you want a Windows Explorer replacement instead of a DAM application, maybe try Total Commander. It's free and works well. It will not produce a DAM database but instead just browse your file system similar to Windows Explorer. And it will show you all files.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Steve01

QuoteJohn..Be sure to check 'Tag Manager' in the IMatch Help; by default, IMatch doesn't include all possible file types, but this can be adjusted in Edit/Preferences/Tag Manager.

I went into help menu typed tag manager and it took me to this page, by clicking on the button tag manager.

QuotePlease take care to click on the links to the documentation I provide. I gave you the kink to the File Format Configuration where you can (if you really have to) add your own file formats. Here is the link again: https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_config_fileformats.htm

Is this not the panel I went to, looks the same in the image in that link.

Link  has at top of page edit>preferences>file format  and that's the route I took. The panel I got to looked like the panel in the linked page.

I am perplexed .  :'(

Quoteyou don't manage all your riff-raff files in a DAM

These dvd folders are very serious and decades of work and not riff-raff and each one is an actual video that plays, one does not need to do anything to it unless wishing to edit it. The three files inside together make up the video, remove one and the video wont play, the vob is the video but the ifo and bup are essential to go with it. I didn't invent these, the video world did. All three file types are together a video package and get created in a DVD_RTAV folder by the software in Panasonic.   It's the format that PANASONIC use for video output from DVD HDD recorder.  I have hundreds of these having had to transfer old analog tapes to digital as well as other recordings and need to locate as to what disc they are on. They occupy many Tb of space on drives and are crucial to me.

I do need to have thumbs of raster files, scans, plans, photos, internet pics, etc of which I have many Tb. It is a real pain having to scan drives with two different programs so if I can find one that does so, then all is good. I do need a prog for pics and allocating keywords, if I end up with a second prog for all non photographs then so be it, though why are there so many non photo raster file types in preferences if one is not supposed to be using iMatch for cataloging these other non photo type files ?
I see flash, autocad, corel, Msoft office, quarkXpress, rtf, scalable vector, vector (though no Freehand ), etc etc. I have just added fh5 fh7 fh9 fh10 to the list as Freehand was THE vector prog for decades and I have tons of Freehand I need to keep track of even though I now use CAD for some work instead or Affinity Designer and is still preferred by its followers and files still accessed, Corel was Rif-raf quality at the time yet is in the list ! I have also added Rhino3D .3dm  its not a rif raf prog, its a big player out there, McNeel will go ballistic if its called that !

Its good we can add file types to iMatch for serious files. Thank you  ;)

Steve01

Mario

The tag manager allows you to control which metadata tags you are allowing IMatch to import. This may be essential if your files contain proprietary maker notes which are by default not imported by IMatch. I'm quite sure I never mentioned the Tag Manager. This was sinus.

If you think that the set of file formats by default managed by IMatch is not sufficient, feel free to let us know which file formats you would like to be added as standard formats, and where I can find information about these file formats (vendor, extensions, documentation etc.).

You can always add any file format you want to manage in IMatch via the File Format configuration. See the links I have included in my replies to your various posts above. Or in one of your many other threads from the past couple of days. I think I've lost track....

Here is the link again:

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_config_fileformats.htm
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

David_H

Quote from: Mario on May 04, 2018, 02:33:25 PM
.IFO and .BUP files are files only interesting for certain video players, but not for a DAM like IMatch. As I said before, you don't manage all your riff-raff files in a DAM.

Shouldn't these file types, if essential to the usage of the main file, be associated as buddy files? https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rel_buddy.htm

Mario

You can make any file a buddy file - whether or not the file is indexed by IMatch or not. In most cases. buddy files are not indexed by IMatch (e.g., configuration files produced by RAW processors).

The file format list in IMatch only included about 120 standard file formats, not all the other files produced by various applications for various purposes.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

I think I'm not following this correctly... if these are external DVD folders - why wouldn't cataloging just the main file be sufficient for keywording and documenting purposes?  Wouldn't trying to execute the main file just point to the image in the folder, find the other files and launch the video using the normal means?  Why do all the files need to be cataloged to allow the main "program" to run?

Mario

My point, exactly. A DAM is no file browser and not every helper file or other riffraff should become part of the asset library.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator