added files indicator appears then is gone

Started by Steve01, May 03, 2018, 12:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve01

Hi,
I cannot find for the life of me the section in the manual referring to the blue indicator that appears on the yellow folder, I searched on update, changes, monitoring  but unless I hit upon the exact word its not taking me there.

However best is to test !

1. copy paste a DVD_RTAV video folder (ifo bup and vob files inside as always), (vob is in preferences list I see)  into my scanned test folder that is showing the one existing DVD_RTAV folder in there in the tree.
as it is pasting across I see Imatch show a blue blob for a second on the folder I am pasting into then it vanishes. Paste completes and still there is one folder, see printscreen.

2. Lets try a file, copy paste a jpg into the other test folder, a blue blob momentarily appears and is gone, there is no indication of which folders have seen changes.

if this icon was to remain and the added file or folder was to have a blue icon, then I would know what needed thumbnailing etc.

Should this blue blob on yellow folder in tree remain there showing the folder has seen changes, ...yes please  :P....or vanish in a second  :'(   ?

I can't tell at all looking at the tree what has changed. :-\

How are changes to folders and files identified when opening iMatch ?

Steve01

Mario

Have you tried to just rescan the folder in IMatch by selecting it and then press Shift+F5?
What blue indicator? The only blue icon IMatch shows in the Media & Folder view regularly is the "Folder has changed" indicator.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

sinus

I think, Mario is correct.
When you scanned, like you wrote, your "test file cataloging software video files", there was only one folder in it.
The second folder you created later (2.5.2018) (pasted).

You can see this also on the "Last modified" in the Folder-Properties.

Try to do a rescan.
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

IMatch does not automatically add folders to your database (unless IMatch was open at the time and you have enabled the Advanced rescan options) under Edit > Preferences > Indexing.
By default, IMatch users have the sole control which folders they want to manage in their database. And when you create new folders in IMatch (which you should), the folder is automatically added of course. If you create folders outside of IMatch, rescan the parent folder manually to bring in the new folders into IMatch afterwards.

IMatch has very powerful file management functions. And you should always use these instead of creating/renaming/moving... folders in other applications. Only then IMatch can keep the database up-to-date automatically.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Steve01

Hi,
QuoteWhat blue indicator? The only blue icon IMatch shows in the Media & Folder view regularly is the "Folder has changed" indicator.

Yes that one, I have now managed to find it in the manual.

See attached extracts, and note the imatch3 manual had a red box denoting the folder had received an external addition or change. To have something like that remaining on the folder would enable me to see which folders had seen changes.

I was expecting the little blue icon to remain on the folder indicating that a change had occurred to the folder made outside of iMatch, and remain there for me to see the folder that has seen a change, and allow me to open the folder, see the changed files flagged up to me in some way, then apply keywords to them if they were images that required me to do so, as some images I don't need to keyword.

As such I read that the little blue rotating arrow icon stays on the folder only as long as it takes for iMatch to update the catalog and thumb the files.
Its not there permanently until a user decides to rescan the folder.

I look at the folder tree, I know I have saved some files, images and other types, to various folders, but for the images I need to then Keyword, I cannot see which folders to visit to do so as the icon has gone.

Q1. As such, how can I get to know what folders to visit that have seen changes occur outside of iMatch if the blue icon vanishes ?  .... For the purposes of allowing me to see what has changed and...
Q2. Once inside a folder, how will iMatch flag up to me which are the added files to the folder or even edited files (note edited files as they also might need extra KW's) so that I can decide if Metadata and keywording (KW) are required ?  A blue icon on the files would for example show me those that have been added.

maybe its not a case of visiting the various folders that have seen changes but just somehow being shown the files I have created or added in another viewing way.

Q3. Am I right in saying iMatch will thumbnail anything coming into folders already in the folder tree ? It appears so if the blue icon shows only as long as iMatch is updating the folder content. 

Q4.Will it rethumb any edited files, lets say I remove some traffic cones.  As such I dont have to visit the folder to get it to do thumbs, but I do need to see the files for me to KW them. How do I get to see these added thumbs ?

Doing all file movements using iMatch, not something I could always do.

Example 1.
I am in Photoshop and open a CR2 file, edit it then save it as jpg, either to a subfolder of the original raw folder, that way I know where it came from, else I have to try and find its CR2 folder when in iMatch, or maybe I save it to a works folder where images are required for importing into my CAD prog. I use the image in CAD, I am in a hurry and no time for KWs,  other images get taken from the internet and saved to that folder, weeks  pass then when I get time I wish to KW (keyword) the saved images though I cant remember now what folders I was using or even what images as I have handled a load more since. I go to iMatch and see a folder with a blue rotating icon, aha there you are, I open the folder and need to see which files have been added so I can decide if they are worth adding KW to .

Example 2. I create a CAD file and save it to a folder that is already under the watch of iMatch.
some time later I need to catch up on my KeyWording and visit iMatch, I need to see folders with changes, and find the files I created. When I am working I must save the .3dm cad file and copy paste raster images  to the folder with the subject matter title, lets say 'wheel hub' folder which is in a folder called 'Undercarriage leg'  that is in a further hierarchy of folders, not save to a folder called 'files for distribution using iMatch' as if I were to move the images using iMatch the linked images wont then show in my CAD file when I open it. Missing image or broken link is the warning.

Cheers

Steve01

Mario

QuoteAs such I read that the little blue rotating arrow icon stays on the folder only as long as it takes for iMatch to update the catalog and thumb the files.
Its not there permanently until a user decides to rescan the folder.

IMatch does not work as you expect. Or as you pick from some historical IMatch document you've found on the web.
The "folder has changed" indicator tells you that IMatch has detected a change in that folder and that it will rescan it at the earliest opportunity in the background.

QuoteI look at the folder tree, I know I have saved some files, images and other types, to various folders, but for the images I need to then Keyword, I cannot see which folders to visit to do so as the icon has gone.

Q1,Q2
All recently added and updated files can be easily viewed in the Collection View, under the correspondingly named collections.

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#col_basics.htm

You can also configure IMatch to automatically put new and/or updated files into collection for your review, add rating, label, metadata and more. Please see the corresponding help topic about how IMatch indexes files and how you can control the process:

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_dlg_scanfolder.htm

https://www.photools.com/help/imatch/#rmh_config_indexing.htm

Q3. Yes. All supported file formats.

Q4: IMatch automatically rescans new and updated files. Please see the exhaustive coverage of everything related in the help topics posted above.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator