Data Driven Category (Make-Lens)

Started by Darius1968, March 09, 2018, 05:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darius1968

Okay, so, I've just set a data driven category to be active on two Levels:  Level 1 - Make, Level 2 - Lens.

Level 1 is set to show the images that fall into the so called "Other" category, because there are those images that don't have an assigned camera make, while they have a lens assigned.  Level 2 does not show the files that fall into that "Other" category, since I'm only interested in those photos, for which I can determine the lens that was used. 

All is well, except that there are now some categories at Level 1, which have no files assigned, and show a zero count.  How can I prevent the display of such categories? 

sinus

I am not sure, but if I have such things, I use only 1 level.
In the same level will be displayed some values, what are true, and all other values are displayed as "others" (what you can also rename).
Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Darius1968

Maybe, this screen capture makes things more clear, Markus: 

All what I wish to do, is to prevent any branches that have a count of "0", from being enumerated.  Can/how can this be done? 

Mario

There are so many options which may impact this, we need a full screen shots of all your data-driven settings.
Or export the category with the category export and attach it.

Have you tried to refresh the category once? You have almost half a million images in that database and this is a massive amount of data...
IMatch has found a file with the value 42ths but there is no file assigned. Maybe a filter?
Did you try to enable Other on all levels. This may change a lot.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

Oh, I know why some of the "Make" nodes have zero counts.  It's because, if the Level 2 node (corresponding to the lens) doesn't have a value, it should then be assigned to the so called "Other" category, but I didn't enable that "Other" category.  This is by choice, because I'm only interested in those images that have an assigned lens! 

With all of this said, those categories with "0" count are valid, but how can I prevent them from displaying? 

Mario

Other is "per level".

IMatch finds make "A" for level 1 and creates a category for it.
Now it scans all files with make "A" in the database, extracting the unique lens values.
In your case, no lens is found and hence all files of make "A" go into Other. But you have no other, so there is no place to store the files => zero count for make A.
This is the expected behavior. You have files with make "A" on level 1, they just don't have lens data on level 2. When you suppress other this is what you get. IMatch does not "roll up" the files which would need to go into Other on level 2 into level 1.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Darius1968

I know what I'm getting is expected (and valid) behavior.  My question is that since these categories have a "0" count, which is what is expected, is there a way to suppress these values from being enumerated, so that only those camera makes that actually have lens data are displayed? 

sinus

Quote from: Darius1968 on March 09, 2018, 09:37:32 AM
I know what I'm getting is expected (and valid) behavior.  My question is that since these categories have a "0" count, which is what is expected, is there a way to suppress these values from being enumerated, so that only those camera makes that actually have lens data are displayed?

Darius,
I do not know how your settings are exactly.
But maybe a variable could help you too? Thus, the variable at the bottom indicates the lens, if the field is empty, it displays the corresponding text. You can check that out well at VarToy.

Of course I do not know if that helps you a bit. Good luck!

{File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0|default:No lens data;hasvalue:{File.MD.photools.com::IMatch\2900\lens\0}}

Best wishes from Switzerland! :-)
Markus

Mario

Quote from: Darius1968 on March 09, 2018, 09:37:32 AM
No, there is no way to remove the parent category when no child category is created because of a) not existing data and b) no Other.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator