Problem deleting filters and versions

Started by HansEverts, September 05, 2013, 06:45:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HansEverts

I have 2 problems related to deleting.

1) Although I have not filtered anything, I noticed the caption bar was (is) blue. The funnel tells me I can click and delete the filter. However, the filter stays on when I click. I go to the filter panel and click on Clear active filter, but nothing happens. Last effort on the folder filter of the Media and folders view. I try both reset and clear search, but the filter stays. I don't even see what is being filtered.

2) To facilitate an excercise in versioning, I had put the folder with RAW files close to the JPG version. I created the version. Then I wanted to put the RAW file in its original position. I moved the folder with Relocate. That broke the link, but did not reinstall it. Therefore I deleted the definition, as mentioned in the help file, and created a new one with the same conditions. That works, but the old thumbnails still appear. What can I do to delete them?

Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

cytochrome

What if you select Remove from the database for this experimental folder ?

Francis

Mario

What happens if you click on the Pause button in the filter panel?
Did you add/remove filters in the Panel?
What happens if you close and re-open the database?

If something got accidentally "stuck" in the filter, this should solve the problem.

For your second issue (better: One post per issue, this makes it easier to follow the replies, and who is talking about which of the two issues):

You created a relation definition and applied it.
Then you relocated a folder out of your version 'hierarchy' by using relocate.
Did you refresh the relations for your database (select the database node, then <F4>,<R>) afterwards?

Only then IMatch will go again through all your folders and applies your relation rules, breaking old links between files, creating new links using your current set of relation rules and the current layout of the folder sin your database.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

HansEverts

Thanks

Re 1: yes, something got stuck. Hours ago I searched for a file name and although I had deleted the filter, the selection stayed. I ran a diagnostic and the filter was gone.

You are right, one topic per post. Sheer laziness and no excuse.

2) Francis I did what you suggested, I deleted both the JPG and the NEF, reimported them and refreshed the relationship: the phantom file is still there. Then I deleted both again and changed their names, reimported, waited for the link to be established and changed both their names back to the initial again. JUST AS I TYPE THE LAST WORD THE PHANTOM COMES BACK AGAIN. Any other suggestions.

cytochrome

I had some problems while exploring the reverse relation between jpg or xmp sidecars and RW2 raw: files that had both the orange and the bleue icon, but don't remember of ghost thumbs haunting my database (Stephen King somewhere?) .  ANd in the process I also deleted from the DB some folders and re imported.

I unchecked all relations (versions, buddy), applied these rules, then checked only what I needed, applied rules again, and the trouble was gone. Maybe also empty the cache?

Francis

HansEverts

I found a remedy, but wouldn't call it solution, because the phantom thumbnails must still be there somewhere.
I disconnected the  , copied it and deleted it. Than I addded "_1" to all filenames, JPG as well as NEF, so that they will still be the same, but different from the phantom. Then I refreshed from the root folder. That took a while, but this morning I have a single version.

I will now empty the cache, copy a few of the files, rename them as they were before and see what happens.

BenAW

Why don't you just export the category structure and build a new dbase after this kind of mishaps?
Building a small testdbase shouldn't take more then 10 or 15 minutes.

HansEverts

Ben, you are right, except that I would constantly wonder "and what if ...."

Last step, I copied a JPG and corresponding NEF and gave them back their old name. And the phantom is back again.

I have the logfile attached, just in case.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

Re 1: yes, something got stuck. Hours ago I searched for a file name and although I had deleted the filter, the selection stayed. I ran a diagnostic and the filter was gone.

"Deleting" a filter (since you cannot delete a filter I assume you just removed it via the menu?) will not disable the filter. A filter can be active without being shown in the filter panel - in order to support stored filters this is a requirement.

But a invisible but activated filter will not impact the filter panel in a way which deactivates the ability of the user to pause the filter panel. Running a diagnosis closes the database and re-opens it, which will unlock all 'stuck' filters. Unless you can reproduce this (and remember how you did it) there is only little chance I will be able to fix this.

I'll answer to your second issue in a separate reply.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Mario

What exactly do you mean with "ghost thumb"?

A ghost thumb, as I understand it, is a link in the database to a file which no longer exists. Such a thumbnail would show the off-line icon.
If the corresponding file on disk does not longer exist, a simple rescan of the folder containing the ghost thumb will remove it from the database.

If the file still exists, but you have moved or renamed it outside of IMatch (which you should not), you can use the Relocate command available in the context menu of the file (in the Additional Functions sub-menu) to relocate the file - which allows you to show IMatch the new folder or name of the file.

You did not explain what exactly you did with Relocate. Or why you used Relocate in the first place. Or I did not understand it.
Can you please give us some more details. I think if you use the Relocate in the wrong way you may create duplicate entries in the database for the same file!
You can then use the Remove from Database command in the context menu to remove the duplicate entry from the database.

QuoteThen I deleted both again and changed their names, reimported, waited for the link to be established and changed both their names back to the initial again. JUST AS I TYPE THE LAST WORD THE PHANTOM COMES BACK AGAIN. Any other suggestions.

I would need full here:

You deleted the files where? In IMatch? In Windows Explorer?
When you deleted the files, how could you change their names or re-import them?
Or did you remove the files from the database with the corresponding command?
Where did you rename the files? In IMatch? In Windows Explorer?

To analyze such weird issues, every detail is important.

I need to perform every step you do in one of my sample databases to reproduce the effect you are seeing.
I can't because you don't give me the steps you used, the commands you used etc. This makes my work pretty hard and most likely fruitless.
The better and more detailed your problem reports are, the better. Add step-by-step instructions so I can repeat your steps here. Add screen shots so I can see what you see.

See also How to report bugs for additional details on how to create a bug report which allows me to find the bug you are facing, and to fix it.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

HansEverts

I understand every details is important, but I don't always anticipate problems, so I don't always memorise or write down all the steps I took. I realise that does not make it easy for you, but what do you prefer, a complete perfect report, or no report at all? I always hope that with several incomplete reports you might be able to do something, but let me know if I am wrong.

Re filter: the pop up text under the funnel with a cross says "Delete the selected filter". As I said, hours before I had tried a filter using File name contains 2045. However, the file name panel was not checked and yet the filter stayed active. And clicking the funnel on the caption bar did not deactivate the filter. I cannot reproduce it, but perhaps somebody else brings it up again.

HansEverts

Re ghost files: I tried to reproduce this in a smaller test database with about 30 images. When I move in Windows Explorer (I know you shouldn't, but that is what people do) the folder with the version files shows the off line icon. When this started yesterday it did not. I only had the third thumbnail with the red shield, as shown in the attachment.
As you suggested, a rescan of the whole database solved the problem and that took half a second with 30 images.
I went back to the big database, changed the names back to the originals (in IMatch) and found again my ghost thumbnails. I did a full rescan and the ghosts disappeared. I tested some more with the small database and found that a rescan is often useful in addition to the refreshment.

Mario

Since we are working with Beta software, bugs are normal and to be expected. The more info you have for me, the easier it will be.

I understand from your reply that you created a new filter in the filter panel by saving the current filter settings to a new name?
The new filter will show up in the list of stored filters at the top of the filter panel.
The Delete Filter button will delete filters from that list (except the Filter Panel special filter, which is in a different color).
Is this what you did?
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Mario

Rescanning a folder will remove all files no longer on your disk.

If you rename/move files outside of IMatch, IMatch may not be able automatically resolve this to bring the database up-to-date.
It will then show the folder and/or files with the yellow off-line icon.

The red shield icon you indicate means: This file is read-only, which is a different thing. When you move the mouse cursor onto an icon you get additional info about the meaning of the icon and the available commands and options.

To inform IMatch about the new location of the folder / file, use the Relocate command.
To remove files no longer existing, rescan the containing folder.
To remove folders no longer existing, use the "Remove Folder from Database" command.

Rescanning a folder will also refresh the relations (using the current definitions) for that folder.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

HansEverts

I don't think we should try to get more details out of my brain, because it will merely increase the confusion. I think there are 2 things to take away:
1) there can be filter configurations that get stuck and can only be deactivated by a restart. If other users have observed similar problems, this may come useful.
2)  A rescan can do miracles

I have absolutely no problem with the fact that a beta version will show bugs. But with my professional background I look at what works as much as what does not work. If the help document says "Do not do this or that" I will try to do this or that, because rather than telling users not to do it, it should be made impossible.

Anyway, I have not read a newspaper for a few weeks, because I am busy trying IMatch. Anybody who knows me better, would tell you that this is very exceptional, as exceptioal as it is to get a response within hours.

Mario

I have so far never see a filter stuck, and there are no reports about this behavior. If other users can reproduce this I shall be able to fix it.

Rescan does no really wonders. It just scans the files in a folder and checks for new, updated or deleted files. IMatch does this automatically when you use the default options. The final step is to refresh the relations in that folder, and this is most likely what re-established your versioning.

I've lost track a bit when you talked above about moving files outside of IMatch, then using the relocate command etc. When you do that wrong, you may move masters and/or versions out of the folder hierarchy which your versioning needs!

I think after correcting the rename/move you did outside of IMatch with Relocate all you had to do is to refresh your relations - because the folder layout has changed and the where to find versions for a master part in your relation may or may not longer work after you have moved your files around...

For example: If you configure IMatch to look for versions in the same folder as the master, and one folder down and you move the folder with the versions to somewhere else, or the folder with the master two levels up, your file relations will no longer work. But existing links between master and versions will remain unchanged until you rescan the folder or refresh the relations.

When you then refresh relations or rescan folders, IMatch drops and re-create the links between master and version using the current folder layout and the current set of file relations. This will drop the "false" links created by moving folders around and re-establish new links between master and versions as needed. 

You need to take this into account when you move or rename folders which contain masters and versions.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator