IMATCH tweaks

Started by rajat, March 31, 2018, 07:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajat

Hi Everyone,

I am at the moment testing the IMATCH + ANYWHERE.

I have a few questions here and would like to customise the things. Let me know if it is possible here.

1.I would like if  KEYWORDS OR OTHER METADATA are not DOWNLOADED FROM THE VIEWER when downloading or saving the image. Only Image with file name.
2. AUTOMATIC EXPORT TO PPTX(One photo per slide)  from the viewer, like photo album feature in Microsoft Powerpoint.
3. How is writing Metadata to the DB different from adding Metadata to the picture? Both ways it gets embedded in the picture anyway.

Excuse me for asking very basic questions as I am new to this kind of software.

Best,

Rajat

Mario

1.  If you use the "Download Original File" function in the Viewer, this is what you get. The original file, unmodified, and with all embedded metadata. This is the required behavior.

2.  The PPTX file format is an extension to the Office XML formats used by Microsoft. The specification of the PPTX file format alone has 130 pages, not counting the hundreds of pages which explain the general structure of Office XML files.
Would it not be easier run PowerPoint on your Windows PC and drag the files from IMatch into PP, instead of trying to find a way to do all that with a web browser?

3.  When you add files to IMatch, IMatch imports metadata from the files into your database. This gives IMatch fast access to the data, allows IMatch to use the data even when your files are off-line and to perform powerful functions like data-driven categories, searching and filtering. See also the "Metadata" help topic in the IMatch help which explains all this in detail.

When you modify metadata in IMatch, IMatch saves these changes to your database. This is very fast. Updates for 1000 files are written in one second or thereabouts.
Since "finishing" a file may require several steps and dozens of metadata updates, this is a big time saver.

Writing metadata to image is much, much slower. It can take 1/2 second or more to update the metadata in a file, depending on the file format, how much work has to be done. It's slower when your images are on remote storage.

This is why IMatch splits the safe storage of your metadata changes in the database from the actual file update.
You can flush changes contained in the database to your images at some convenient time, e.g. while you are not at your PC.

Search for Write-back in the IMatch help index for detailed information.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rajat

Hi Mario,

Thank you for your quick reply and detailed explanation.

Ok. Got your point. However, we send a lot of pictures over the emails and in PPT and would not want the viewer to download and send the data along with the picture. If there is a way to achieve this, I would be very grateful.

Example: the user downloads the selected the images and makes a ppt from it or emails them as they are. This will create a security breach in my organisation if the data gets sent along with.

rajat

Adding to the last post.

Also, I have Keywords stored in excel and linked with respective file names.

In IMATCH I have all the images uploaded.

Is there is a way to automatically add these keywords to the respective pictures based on file names from Excel?

Best,

Rajat

Mario

1.  The Batch Processor in IMatch allows you to create copies of your files, with or without metadata.
You can use a Batch Processor preset with the Email Export module in IMatch to batch process files and send them via email in one go.
These features are not available in a web browser.

Feel free to add feature requests in the IMatch Anywhere Feature Request Board if you think that producing PPTX files in some way from IMatch WebViewer would be useful for more than one user.

https://www.photools.com/community/index.php?board=119.0

2.  IMatch has CSV Import Filter in the Import & Export module. Export your Excel sheet as a CSV and then utilize this filter to import your data.
It depends on how you have structured your Excel sheet if this can work or not. There are literally millions of ways users create XLS sheets. A generic import module can do only so much. But you can write (or pay someone) to write an IMatch app which understands your proprietary Excel sheet and imports the data into IMatch. IMatch has a very powerful integrated development environment.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

rajat

Hi Mario,

Thank You. I will try your suggestions now.

Best,

Rajat