How to setup a Date filter for a defined period over several years?

Started by cytochrome, September 03, 2013, 12:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cytochrome

Lets say I want all my Xmas photos. Some are not yet cataloged. I would like to filter for December 23 to 28 over the years 2002 - 2012.

Is it feasible?

Francis

BenAW

Try a data driven category like in the screenshot:

Gives all dates for every year in december from the 20th to the 29th.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Mario

If your images have a usable EXIF timestamp you can also just switch to the Timeline View  and there select each of these days.
Either select them all at once (Using Ctrl+Leftclick) or select the days and then put all files from these days into a collection (Flag, Pin, Dot) or a temporary category to combine them.

Or setup a Date Filter  of type Selection  and then <Ctrl>+Leftclick to select the days you want to include in the filter:

This way you can select any number of days from any number of years. Use the scroll buttons above the calendars to scroll months or years as needed.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

JohnZeman

Ben's suggestion gave me an idea. ;) 
Every once in awhile I like to go back through all of my Christmas photos over the years so expanding on what he suggested I created 2 DD categories, one that shows all the Christmas Eve photos and one that shows all the Christmas Day photos.  Put both categories under a parent called Christmas photos, and there it is. ;D

cytochrome

My goodness!! Thanks all.

I have experimented Ben's idea, works very well. In fact I had tried but stupidly tookt the "french" date as shown in the metadata panel (24/12/2012) could not work!!

John's combination of course would allow to pick up pictures from exactly Dec 22 to Dec 29 (nothing magical with these dates, it is a catch all category). But I also tried the approach by Mario. It is a bit more tedious but works all the same, and on exact number of days. The difference in the DB I use for these tests (39000 files) is low: 1651 files with the date selection filter and 1724 with Ben's 20-29 filter.

This is the best way to learn (for me), I had read the Help on Date selection and not understood that the ctrl click selection could encompass years.

Francis

PS If a picture is shot any day at xx:12:25 it will be selected. Any way to avoid this ? (not important, just for the fun of understanding how it works)

BenAW

Quote from: cytochrome on September 03, 2013, 04:17:27 PM
PS If a picture is shot any day at xx:12:25 it will be selected. Any way to avoid this ? (not important, just for the fun of understanding how it works)
That's why I put under Formatting "Use part of value" to YES and "Start and Length" to 1,10.
This way you only use the yyyy:mm:dd part of the DateTimeOriginal  ::)

cytochrome

Thanks, I have  alot to learn in setting up data-driven  queries..

Francis

Mario

There's a lot more in data-driven categories than a user picks up when he makes first contact. Which is how it's designed. First start using them, then explore the more sophisticated features like Formatting, Unify or Filters.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook