Attributes

Started by Belenos2017, December 07, 2017, 08:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belenos2017

After long hesitating I changed from IM3.6 in severel steps to IM 2017.11.2/64bit/Win7 with very good help from Mario. THANKS !!
I have some tiff and jpg-Files - all the metadata are imported correct to XMP.
Most of my Files are Canon-Raw Files with properties in IM3.6. - they are now ATTRIBUTES - correct.
I found a solution, to copy Attributes to the XMP-Data. It works correct for some files.

My Question 1:
Is it possible to copy attributes of over 100.000 files in different folders to the xmp-Data in one step?
Is that necessary?
And after that process: Is it possible to delete all attributes "to clean" the Database?
Is that necessary?

My Question 2:
From early times I have Canon_CRW files with THM-Buddy files. I defined the THM as Buddy-Files.
Now the problem:
Some of these THM-files were empty - they are not shown in the file-viewe - as it should be.
Some of these THM-files have text - they are shown in the file-viewer - and the text is shown in the XMP-metadata BUT NOT in the metadata of the orginal CRW-File.
What can I do to bring the information together?

Mario

Question 1:

I have never tested Metadata Templates to run 100,000 files in one go. I would not do that, it creates a lot of stress on your system. Maybe work in batches.
If this is necessary only you can answer. XMP is meant to maintain metadata you want to exchange with other applications and services. If the Attibutes you maintain only make sense in your internal content, there is no need to copy everything into XMP. Writing back metadata to 100,000 files will also take a while.

You can delete Attributes via the Attributes Panel or entry Attribute sets via Edit > Preferences > Edit Attributes.

Q 2

Maybe the THM files are broken. These files a really a thing of the past. Canon invented them to have quick camera previews and to store legacy IPTC metadata. Not really needed these days anymore.
You can try to rename them to .jpg and open and re-save them in an image editor. Note: This may strip embedded metadata.

Quoteand the text is shown in the XMP-metadata BUT NOT in the metadata of the orginal CRW-File.

If you mean that IMatch shows the metadata of the CRW file when you click on the CRW file, and shows the metadata of the THM file when you click on the THM file, this is correct.
Under Edit > Preferences > Metadata you can configure if IMatch should use data in THM files. This is on by default. But existing metadata in the CRW or an XMP sidecar file may override data imported from the legacy THM file (which contained a small subset of EXIF and legacy IPTC). But that's really a thing of the past now.

-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Belenos2017

THANKS - I will leave the THM-chaos in the past  :)