IMA and Android TV

Started by jch2103, October 09, 2017, 06:04:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jch2103

I'm currently using Android TV (Nvidia Shield, specifically) for viewing various streaming media (Netflix, Amazon Video, various audio, etc.). The system works great for these applications. I'm now looking into using the Nvidia Shield to view images from IMatch Anywhere. I'm finding a couple of issues: 1) Android TV is designed with a '10 foot' interface (designed for a remote, with no touch control except via using the Android TV app with a smartphone or app), and 2) the available browsers for Android TV make it difficult to access the IMA URL. I know one work-around is casting a browser session from my smartphone/tablet, but I'd like to find a simpler solution if available.

Has anyone had experience using Android TV (or similar interfaces such as Apple TV) with IMA? If so, how have you addressed the issues/problems I'm finding?
John

Mario

Quote1) Android TV is designed with a '10 foot' interface (designed for a remote, with no touch control except via using the Android TV app with a smartphone or app),

This causes which issues?
Are the controls to small? Don't work? Colors wrong? ...
IMatch Anywhere WebViewer is responsive and works on all devices with a proper browser.
Maybe show us a screen shot (make a photo of your TV with your smart phone, for example) and show us what you see.

What resolution does the device have (width/height in pixels and the DPI)?

Quote2) the available browsers for Android TV make it difficult to access the IMA URL.

What does this mean?
Don't you have a on-screen keyboard to type the URL?
Can't you create a bookmark for it after entering it once using the on-screen keyboard?
Or maybe use copy/paste via a small text document you hold in DropBox or Google Drive or something...

I don't have access to a TV set running Android so I can't help. I have only access to Android smart phones, Notebooks and tablets.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

jch2103

Quote from: Mario on October 09, 2017, 06:25:04 PM
Quote1) Android TV is designed with a '10 foot' interface (designed for a remote, with no touch control except via using the Android TV app with a smartphone or app),

IMatch Anywhere WebViewer is responsive and works on all devices with a proper browser.
Maybe show us a screen shot (make a photo of your TV with your smart phone, for example) and show us what you see.

The issue with Android TV, for IMatch, is that the interface is designed for use with remotes, i.e., not mice or other pointing devices (including touch). This can be overcome using a phone/tablet app (e.g., Android TV app) which allows DPad or touchpad controls and/or mobile device keyboard to be used from the phone/tablet, but it's a bit awkward compared to using a phone/tablet directly with IMA. (Using an app to control a cursor is a lot less fluid that directly using touch on on a phone/tablet.) The UI isn't a problem for Android TV applications designed for simple TV-like remote use, e.g., Netflix, etc., but it's not really designed for more complicated types of interface.

IMA controls size isn't an issue using a standard HD TV, just the limited interface.

Quote2) the available browsers for Android TV make it difficult to access the IMA URL.

What does this mean?
Can't you create a bookmark for it after entering it once using the on-screen keyboard?
Or maybe use copy/paste via a small text document you hold in DropBox or Google Drive or something...

I don't have access to a TV set running Android so I can't help. I have only access to Android smart phones, Notebooks and tablets.
The available browsers for Android TV are intentionally simplified (e.g., standard Chrome/Firefox isn't available on the Android TV app store). Among other things, this means that if I type 'http://boulder-pc:8081/imatchviewer/#/imatch' (using the Android TV app) into the URL line, the browser just sends that to Google search and doesn't allow a direct connection to resources on the local network. That seems to be a limitation of the browser, as Android TV apps like Plex or Kodi can access resources on the local network.

At the moment, the simplest way to use IMA on my TV is to 'cast' a browser session from my phone/tablet browser to my Nvidia Shield and use the phone/tablet to control what's shown from IMA. That works, but it requires using an additional device to view images. I suspect it would require a specific Android TV app (or a sideloaded Android app) to get around this. For example, I sideloaded the SmugMug Android app, which works OK with the TV, although the interface and power of the app are very limited compared to IMA.

From the lack of other responses, it sounds like there aren't many folks using IMA to display content through their TVs (or they're happy with how it works for them).
John

Mario

There seem to be some limitations with your TV. Nothing I can do about that.
Apps written for the rather limited 'Smart' TVs are usually especially designed to be used with the rather limited controls on the remote. And a "Show me a movie" app like Netflix is hardly comparable with a browser-based DAM like IMatch Anywhere WebViewer. Different feature set, different target audience. IMatch WebViewer is designed for Apple, Windows and Linux PCs and tablets. Occasional smart phone use. TVs are much more limited in any aspect.

Of course it would be possible to produce a much simplified 'TV' version of IMatch WebViewer, just for '3-button' presentations and slide shows. Everything is doable, thanks to IMWS and the flexibility of JavaScript and HTML. I just don't know if there is a sufficient demand.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator
http://www.photools.com  -  Contact & Support - Follow me on 𝕏 - Like photools.com on Facebook

Jingo

Quote from: jch2103 on October 11, 2017, 11:04:30 PM

The issue with Android TV, for IMatch, is that the interface is designed for use with remotes, i.e., not mice or other pointing devices (including touch). This can be overcome using a phone/tablet app (e.g., Android TV app) which allows DPad or touchpad controls and/or mobile device keyboard to be used from the phone/tablet, but it's a bit awkward compared to using a phone/tablet directly with IMA. (Using an app to control a cursor is a lot less fluid that directly using touch on on a phone/tablet.) The UI isn't a problem for Android TV applications designed for simple TV-like remote use, e.g., Netflix, etc., but it's not really designed for more complicated types of interface.

IMA controls size isn't an issue using a standard HD TV, just the limited interface.

What does this mean?

The available browsers for Android TV are intentionally simplified (e.g., standard Chrome/Firefox isn't available on the Android TV app store). Among other things, this means that if I type 'http://boulder-pc:8081/imatchviewer/#/imatch' (using the Android TV app) into the URL line, the browser just sends that to Google search and doesn't allow a direct connection to resources on the local network. That seems to be a limitation of the browser, as Android TV apps like Plex or Kodi can access resources on the local network.

At the moment, the simplest way to use IMA on my TV is to 'cast' a browser session from my phone/tablet browser to my Nvidia Shield and use the phone/tablet to control what's shown from IMA. That works, but it requires using an additional device to view images. I suspect it would require a specific Android TV app (or a sideloaded Android app) to get around this. For example, I sideloaded the SmugMug Android app, which works OK with the TV, although the interface and power of the app are very limited compared to IMA.

From the lack of other responses, it sounds like there aren't many folks using IMA to display content through their TVs (or they're happy with how it works for them).

You should get an "air-remote"... it has a built in mouse that works wonderfully for android tv boxes... couldn't imagine using one of these devices without one.  As an aside, I purposely avoided the AndroidTV boxes and instead went with a Win10 based "pc" unit and it works beautifully with IMA on my Samgsung TV... running Edge browser and Firefox nightly without issue.

Mario

I always shop for the best 'dumb' TV I can get for my money. No built-in web support or app ecosystem if possible.
I much prefer to add smartness externally, via a Fire TV stick or maybe a noiseless Windows 10 PC. Easier to swap a 30€ Fire TV stick every two years for the latest and greatest than an entire TV set for several hundred €.
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

Quote from: Mario on October 13, 2017, 07:37:15 PM
I always shop for the best 'dumb' TV I can get for my money. No built-in web support or app ecosystem if possible.
I much prefer to add smartness externally, via a Fire TV stick or maybe a noiseless Windows 10 PC. Easier to swap a 30€ Fire TV stick every two years for the latest and greatest than an entire TV set for several hundred €.

Agree with this... these external sticks and devices are really amazing.  I purchased a beelink M1 for around $170... win 10, 4gb memory, 64gb flash storage, apollo lake chip, onboard graphics.  About 4.5 inches square... use with air remote and bluetooth mini keyboard... hdmi to the TV - I'm impressed!

Mario

This should run IMatch Anywhere™ just fine, even for multiple users.  :)
-- Mario
IMatch Developer
Forum Administrator

Jingo

It does run it very well... very impressed with this little box PC.  And its been a real pleasure to show the family photos on a 50" TV screen... and run video files as well.  Once the edit capabilities are added in, it will be great to allow family members to comfortably add keywords and rate files this way too.  Of course, they also will be able to do this on their laptops or iPads... the options... are limitless!